Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lude is very hesitant to take off from the line. It feels very sluggish until about 2500 to 3000 rpm. From there it accelerates very nicely. Does this sound normal? I just got a tune up, cleaned my K&N filter, got an oil change, changed my pcv valve, and my fuel filter. I'm thinking my exhaust could be hurting my low end torque badly. I'm running the stock manifold with a 2.25" straight pipe back to a 2.5" inlet 4"outlet 6" round muffler. No cat. Would welding in a universal replacement cat help my torque?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Simple.. you need to launch at a higher RPM. If you don't, the tires stick, and you bog down.

If you can get the tires spinning it's the best solution. Because when you stick the RPMs will be high enough for you to take off.

Also -- removing the cat decreases back pressure which hurts your low end power. That might be it too.

If you follow the above method, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its not only when racing. It happens in normal driving too. Dont get me wrong, it can spin tires, but when they stop spinning, the rpms drop and it feels sluggish.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
we really dont have the best low end and any driving with the rpms below 2000 will feel sluggish. we make the most tourque around 3600 and up. on the b20 the secondaries open up around 4200 and you can feel them open in most cases with a jump in power. just the way the car is made but a reground cam will help nicely if you wanted to know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If this is a new problem you might want to look into replacing more fuel system parts; injectors, fpr, fuel pump.
When i first got mine (before the swap) it had the same problem and it ended up being the injectors, this can be a pretty cheap and easy fix if you know where to look (e-bay). Good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Check your timing, it is probably way off. If you dont have a timing light, a quick way to test it is to loosen the dizzy & turn it all the way to one side, test drive and see what happens. (Turning it clockwise retards it & counter cw advances.) If it gets worse, or doesnt start, turn it the opposite way & test drive again. Then set the timing the right way using a light.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
weird.... my secondaries opened up at 5k rpm like most if not all other B20A5..... My 2.0Si is weird.

Taking off the cat wont hurt anything but the Ozone. Infact you'll get a few extra HP off the car. Our intake plenums and exhuast manifolds aren't that great and are more of a restriction. You would want NO back pressure in your exhuast just velocity. And just like Hondapowa said, check your timing.... might have even jumped a tooth. My prelude had a nice pick up at low RPMs I would drive up hills in 5th gear.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts