Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 99 lude a couple years back w/ 60k on it. I'm at 110k miles and i've notice that the car has gotten sluggish over the years..What are some good ways to restore lost power? I want to make a list of things i could do to restore the lost power and to make the car run more efficiently.

When i hit 78k i did: spark plugs, transmission fluid, timing belt, oil & filter change, etc.

What parts of the car should i clean or degrease? I think my EGR is clogged so i'm going to have to clean that. Should i change the spark plug wires? What else can i do? Feel free to list things to replace or clean that i should bring to the mechanic shop for.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Plugs, plugs wires, dizzy cap and rotor, egr valve and ports cleaned, vtec solenoid screen cleaned. Am I forgetting anything anyone?

·
Danny D's second in Command
4,157 Posts
oil,tranny oil,fuel filter.

·
Registered
641 Posts
GM Top engine clean FTW!!!! Run it through the IM and get all that carbon out.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i use engine restore 4cylinder can.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's a good list of things to accomplish this weekend.

cool,thanks for the list fellas.I apprecate it :)
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it a little too early for a rebuild?hmm,don't really know when ppl rebuild their engine.
Posted via Mobile

·
Danny D's second in Command
4,157 Posts
rebuild if you have some serious smoking issues, check your compression, there are write ups on how to do it so search.

well gL.

·
_
2,494 Posts
engine rebuild.
-1 rep point.

what you should do is ::

get a new air filter, maybe even a CAI or SR.

clean out the egr or replace it.

clean out the exhaust gas ports.

re-time your valves.

get new spark plugs, rotor, wires. i still dont know what a "dizzy" is... get one of those too. =p

it costs 8 bucks for a new pcv valve. those are easy to replace too. not sure if it does anything to performance, but it should help something since you're replacing a clogged part with a new one.

replace or clean your fuel filter. (quite a bitch without crow's foot wrenches)

what about the injectors? i dont know if you're supposed to replace or clean them. or how. i just thought of it.

other methods

remove power steering system.

remove a/c system.

remove counter-balance-shaft belt.

remove everything from the interior except the driver's seat, and radio. =D

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Really depends on why you lost power, and if you actually have lost power, as opposed to simply getting used to it.

Cap/wires/rotor aren't going to cost you power, sorry to those who said it would, but they're wrong, don't bother with 'em till they actually cause a problem.

How often are you changing the oil? If it's longer intervals then 2000-3000 miles your simply destroying the engine, and that is where the power has gone. In that case, it's rebuild time. (FRM liners demand supercar type oil changes)

If you've been changing it at the 2k-3k mark and actually have lost power i would check the cat to see if it's partially plugged (an exhaust shop can do this in about five minutes), check your air filter to see if it's partially plugged. If you haven't replaced your fuel filter, do that now.
You're also due for a spark plug change, as there is a 30k mile increment on plugs and air/fuel filters.

EGR clogging won't reduce power, as egr doesn't function above 25% throttle. If it's throwing a code, it might due to the computer being pissy.

O2 sensor(s) that are worn out can cause power loss, and 110k is in the area for replacement on them.

You really kind of need to know whether it's actually lost power or not, if you haven't actually lost power then nothing you do is going to get back power that wasn't lost.
If you have lost power, then you can go through things looking for it.

I'd get a wet/dry compression check done personally, that will tell you a lot about how happy your motor is. If you want to do it yourself, i wrote an article for the articles section on how to do one and read the results.

BTW:

Engine restore products =

They can attack seals and soften them (if you're lucky they just soften 'em a little bit, and not into a pile of jello), but they can not and will not restore any power or fix damaged/worn out metal parts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would I save money by buying some parts online instead of paying for the service and parts at a shop? What are some good websites to buy parts from? btw, should I replace all the parts tha needs to be replaced w/ oem parts? Which NGK spark plug wires are good and what size (9mm or 10mm)?
thanks for the informative posts fellas.
Posted via Mobile

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's a good method of removing sludge and carbon buildup? btw, is seafoam safe and what's the proper way to use it? Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well my way to restore power is a lil unconventional but hey it works lol just throw 7-10 psi at it, blow motor, rebuild motor, re boost then rinse and repeat lol.....i was totally joking.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
What's a good method of removing sludge and carbon buildup? btw, is seafoam safe and what's the proper way to use it? Thanks.
Seafoam will help out. I use about 1/4 of a can every other oil change

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

If you add this product when you do an oil change do you just put 4qt of oil in and then this or do you add the the full 5qts then add this?
You add it to the 5qts.

I recommend using auto-RX as well as restore but not at the same time

And this fuel system cleaner has allowed me to postpone doing my EGR port cleaning from getting the 'EGR flow insuficient' CEL (which goes away after using the V power treatment)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts