Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hEY GUYS THIS IS PROBABLY A REALLY DUMB QUESTION but i have an 87 si and i cannot find the water pump from what i thought it was leaking i thought it was one of the pulleys but as u can already tell im a dumbass so if u can post pics that wud be great if not explaining works too thanks guys
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
the waterpump is on the back side of the drivers side next to the alternator it shares the same belt as the alternator...

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Hmmm well don't have any close up pics real easy to find though. The pump could actually look like it's just a pulley it's pretty small and does have a pulley wheel bolted to it directly. If you look at your alternator then from the alt follow the belt to the left you'll see a little wheel where a belt runs across the top of it well that is your water pump!! The wheel unbolts and you move that onto the new pump so don't damage it getting it off or your buggered!! The water pump is semi easy to get off obviously you need to drain your coolant first probably a good idea to stick in some new stuff anyway, then all you need to do is loosen the alternator adjustment screws and the main bolt at the bottom so you can push it all the way in so you can mount the belt back on later on, then unbolt the pump which has a nut and 4 bolts i think off the top of my head one might be hidden by the cambelt cover not sure been a white since i've had it on mine, you don't need to take off completely i think you can get away with undoing most the bolts that hold the cover on and then you can move it enought out the way to finish undoing the pump and to take it off!! Just word of advice try and find a water pump with a cast impeller these are better than the ones with the bent bits of steel. But if you cant find any don't worry too much won't make that much difference just my personal preference on the pumps we can have. Also while you got it apart might be an idea to replace the thermostat if it's not been done in a while they quite often get stuck and cause the engine to overheat and they are only a few dollars just might need to get a new seal for it upto you or worry about it another day if it goes wrong. Whats the problem you got fluid coming out where the pump is on teh pulley wheel??

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YEA thats exACTLY whats happening i was looking for a hose that was broken but couldnt find one its not leakin enuff that its an on demand thing but i still dont want to wait too long oh and yea i planned to change the thermostat but thanks for the help and advice guys this is y i love this sight more than any other lude forum
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WELL i made the mistake of driving too long on it so now it exploded in the autozone parking lot im headed home now ill fix it tommorow but i gotta work today how do u get the bolt on the bottom pulley to come loose
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
WELL i made the mistake of driving too long on it so now it exploded in the autozone parking lot im headed home now ill fix it tommorow but i gotta work today how do u get the bolt on the bottom pulley to come loose
Posted via Mobile
It takes a breaker bar with a pipe extension usually. I've never been able to get one off with a 1/2" drive impact gun even. But if you're changing the water pump, why do you need to take off the bottom pulley? All you have to do is loosen the water pump pulley bolts, then take the alternator belt off and unbolt the water pump. It's pretty simple and only takes like 20 minutes to do the whole job....

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Do not use a GMB waterpump or it will start leaking after a year... NPW is a good brand and also don't forget to pull the plug on the timing cover and take out the hiddel 10mm bolt holding the waterpump in place.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
you have to somtimes pull the enitre timing cover to access that one bolt. wich is fine couse you should be doing the belt too. ive never had a problem pulling a crank pulley with anything but a 2 foot breaker bar. somtimes even a 1/2" drive ratchet. people never beleive me but i swear to it. rusted, sitting in a field, hasnt run in a decade, never been a problem. knock on wood;)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I GOT A DURALAST AND I HOPE I DONT HAVE TO TAKE OFF THE WHOLE COVER I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO GET THE BOTTOM ONE LOOSE SO I CAN CHANGE THE TIMING BELT CUS I CUDNT DO IT ON THE PARTS CAR I TRIED LOL
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK SO IS IT REVERSE THREAD OR NORMAL I WUD HATE TO FUCK SOMETHING UP LOL
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
OK SO IS IT REVERSE THREAD OR NORMAL I WUD HATE TO FUCK SOMETHING UP LOL
Posted via Mobile
It's regular right-hand thread. Lefty loosey, righty tighty. :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
K well i officially changed the waterpump then when i went to change the thermostat one of the bolts broke and i need my car tommorow so we rigged it with silicone and a pair of byscripts unntil i can find a better solution lol any ideas i couldnt get the bolt out annd when my dad tryd drilling it out he accidently did it at an angle lol buty iyt runs great my heater works and its nnot spitting coolant everywhere lol
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
K well i officially changed the waterpump then when i went to change the thermostat one of the bolts broke and i need my car tommorow so we rigged it with silicone and a pair of byscripts unntil i can find a better solution lol any ideas i couldnt get the bolt out annd when my dad tryd drilling it out he accidently did it at an angle lol buty iyt runs great my heater works and its nnot spitting coolant everywhere lol
Posted via Mobile

Those thermostat housing bolts are the worst. I would go find another housing at a junkyard. If you can pull your own part, make sure you can remove those bolts before you buy it. Using lots of penetrating oil helps to loosen the threads too.

C|

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WELL we tried to drill it out but because of the fuse bbox the drill wudnt fit straight in and it drilled at an angle and wont stay tight with a bolt lol
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
WELL we tried to drill it out but because of the fuse bbox the drill wudnt fit straight in and it drilled at an angle and wont stay tight with a bolt lol
Posted via Mobile

What I meant was if the junkyard will let you pull the parts you need (instead of them doing it for you), make sure you get a housing where you know you can get those bolts off without breaking them.

C|

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I meant was if the junkyard will let you pull the parts you need (instead of them doing it for you), make sure you get a housing where you know you can get those bolts off without breaking them.

C|
oh ok:burnout:

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
hmmm im stumped

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WTF ITS STILL FUCKIN LEAKING IM GOING TO CHECK THE HOSE GOING INTO THE WATER PUMP BUT I THOUGHT I CHECKED IT B4 I CHANGED IT AND IT LOOKED FINE ITS PISSIN ME OFF IM ABOUT TO JUST BUY ANOTHER CAR RIP THE ENGINE OUT OF MY LUDE AND COMPLETELY REBUILD EVERYTHING ON IT LOL 'YEA RIGHT' LOL i dont see that happening as i have no money but do u guys know of anything i might be missing
Posted via Mobile

1 - 20 of 24 Posts