Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was driving his 88Si and called me and said Steam was coming from his engine. I first thought "some hose" had a hole in it as it happened to me before. He said water was leaking under his car, I saw water but his radiator was full. Could not find any leaks anywhere, water pump is quiet (no bearing noise) but here is what I'm wondering about:

1. Anyone ever heard of the pump not pumping even though it's quiet and not leaking? I pulled the radiator cap off and when the temp gauge is Normal temp, I dont see any water circulating and the radiator is cool but the engine is normal temp.

2. The thermostat is new, temp gauge is normal operating temp, no leaks.

3. When I open the bleeder at the thermostat housing on my 89si, water squirts out but on his 88Si, nothing comes out unless we rev the engine. He said the heater does not cool down when idling either.

Could the pump impeller come loose on the shaft and not circulate the water? I do not want to change it with 18 inches of snow and 20 degrees out.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Could the pump impeller come loose on the shaft and not circulate the water?
Yes that is possible.
Unfortunately the only way to know for 100% sure is to take off the covers and see.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is possible.
Unfortunately the only way to know for 100% sure is to take off the covers and see.
That would show me if the pully is turning but not the Impeller inside the pump. It's not overheating at all so we are concerned about it. Guess we'll just have to find a place to try and pull that DARN TIGHT pully belt...that's the only thing I have problems with.

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
its not a pulley belt for the water pump. the water pump runs off of the timing belt, meaning if you want to see in there, you have to remove the timing belt and put the motor back in time afterwards. it can be tough if you don't know what you're doing

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
When the engine is below normal temp, the coolant shouldn't really be circulating much. The thermostat regulates when and how much coolant circulates. Don't try to look in there when the engine is hot.

Is the coolant to the top of the radiator when the engine is off and cool?
Is it filled with exactly a 50/50 mix?

Sometimes radiator caps do not seal and allow coolant to pass into the overflow. This can sometimes create steam. First try replacing the radiator cap with a new one.

If the water pump were bad, I'd suspect it should overheat.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the engine is below normal temp, the coolant shouldn't really be circulating much. The thermostat regulates when and how much coolant circulates. Don't try to look in there when the engine is hot.

Is the coolant to the top of the radiator when the engine is off and cool?
Is it filled with exactly a 50/50 mix?

Sometimes radiator caps do not seal and allow coolant to pass into the overflow. This can sometimes create steam. First try replacing the radiator cap with a new one.

If the water pump were bad, I'd suspect it should overheat.
We drive it for 1/2 hour to make sure it's normal operating temperature. Removed the radiator cap slowly and didn't see the water ciruclating, upper hose and top of radiator was not normal hot like it should be.

Water is just at the top of the cores when cold, Full when hot. seems we always have to put 50/50 mix into it as the water is going somewhere at times. Overflow bottle is always going dry but can't see any leaks anywhere. It does not overheat but seems to not squirt out the bleeder valve when opened up except when revving the engine. I checked on my car and water comes out when Idling.
I didn't mean Pully on the water pump. I know it's run by the timing belt. Looking at that would not tell me if the impellers are turning or not. I have replaced timing belts a couple times so I know what I'm doing... as long as no overheating, I guess it's fine...
I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

thanks

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
sounds like the water pump and thermostat are working perfectly fine. everything thats happening is completely normal. minus the leak and steam of course.

dont worry about anything else, just find the source of the leak and the source of the steam, and fix that

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
trust me if the impellers had messed up you'd be overheating in an instant.

I know because when I was fixing my buddies Contour we found out that the stock water pump impeller is made outta plastic an has a tendency to break.

We wouldn't even get a block on a cold day before the B over heated.

Are you mixing the coolant yourself or buying prediluted?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trust me if the impellers had messed up you'd be overheating in an instant.

I know because when I was fixing my buddies Contour we found out that the stock water pump impeller is made outta plastic an has a tendency to break.

We wouldn't even get a block on a cold day before the B over heated.

Are you mixing the coolant yourself or buying prediluted?
For the past 40 years, I've always mixed it myself. I dont by Prediluted..dont trust them. They are both priced the same. Why pay the same price for a gallon of 1/2 water and 1/2 Antifreeze when I can buy the Full strength for the same price and mix myself and get equivilent to 2 gallons of preduluted for one price.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the thermostat is new (clue ?) but pull that puppy and see what the cooling system does then.
Hmmm I never thought of that. Then I'll see if the water circulates or not. Must have alzheimers at my age...I should have thought of that.
thanks

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
of course it'll circulate constantly with the thermostat out.
but its not supposed to circulate constantly, its only supposed to circulate when the thermostat opens, which doesnt happen very often or by that much in such cold weather conditions.

trust me, the cooling system is working exactly how it is supposed to, dont even bother wasting your time inspecting anything else, its fiiiiine
just find the leak and the source of the smoking, and fix that and that only, that is the only problem with this car

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
of course it'll circulate constantly with the thermostat out.
but its not supposed to circulate constantly, its only supposed to circulate when the thermostat opens, which doesnt happen very often or by that much in such cold weather conditions.

trust me, the cooling system is working exactly how it is supposed to, dont even bother wasting your time inspecting anything else, its fiiiiine
just find the leak and the source of the smoking, and fix that and that only, that is the only problem with this car
Yeah, I know what you are talking about the circulation without a thermostat. I was thinking if it's normal temp and still dont see the circulation, then taking out the stat and then seeing if it circulates...that's the only way to see if the pump is working but from what you are saying, I wont worry about it then. I compared my 89 to my sons 88 and mine squirts out the bleeder at an idle but his does not at the same temp. I'll take your advice and just leave well enough alone and see what happens...

thanks a lot for your advice

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Your son's doesn't run out the bleeder because the coolant level is low. You said that at cold, the coolant is just covering the rad core in an earlier post. If so, the coolant is low. It should be completely full at cold if there is not leak in the system. You need to fix the leak and go from there. If there is steam there is a leak. If it is intermittent, maybe it's a heater core hose. That's what I had happen about a month ago.

If the water pump was bad and not moving coolant around, the engine would overheat quickly. If it is not overheating, you can forget about the water pump for now. If it overheats after you fix the leak, then you can investigate further.

Don't forget to bleed the system after fixing the leak.

·
Cunninglinguist
8,130 Posts
I wish my dad were cool like you, Rustybux, but no...he's a fucking pothead at 52, and the 88si that he drives is the one I fucking built for MYSELF but ended up giving to him because he bitched and whined about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your son's doesn't run out the bleeder because the coolant level is low. You said that at cold, the coolant is just covering the rad core in an earlier post. If so, the coolant is low. It should be completely full at cold if there is not leak in the system. You need to fix the leak and go from there. If there is steam there is a leak. If it is intermittent, maybe it's a heater core hose. That's what I had happen about a month ago.

If the water pump was bad and not moving coolant around, the engine would overheat quickly. If it is not overheating, you can forget about the water pump for now. If it overheats after you fix the leak, then you can investigate further.

Don't forget to bleed the system after fixing the leak.
After we filled the radiator to totally full and let it get up to temp again, it still didn't squirt out like my 89 does. We will just wait and see what happens because could not see any leaks at all. By the way, I gave him my Blue 88 that you saw when you came to get that 89 from me. My 89 looks just like the one I gave you only SI model.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish my dad were cool like you, Rustybux, but no...he's a fucking pothead at 52, and the 88si that he drives is the one I fucking built for MYSELF but ended up giving to him because he bitched and whined about it.
Thaks a lot Lucifer, I gave him my 88 because his 89 Ford Probe GT Turbo went Kaput so I gave him my 88 lude since I didn't need 2 of them. I'm 59 and love to help my 2 boys. Thanks again for the compliment

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts