Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I went out to check on my baby today and was horrified to see about 3-4 in of water on the driver side, dampness around the footwell of the driver and pooling in the back seat. I've put some towels in there to dry it out, but anyone know where this could have come from? Cowl drains? Sunroof?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys,

I went out to check on my baby today and was horrified to see about 3-4 in of water on the driver side, dampness around the footwell of the driver and pooling in the back seat. I've put some towels in there to dry it out, but anyone know where this could have come from? Cowl drains? Sunroof?
In the past I've had some problems with the plastic cowling under the wipers. if you need a replacement let me know. I have a few. Also check your door seals.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
most likely it is your sunroof drains are clogged. If your care full using it there is like a $4 long aquarium brush on amazon that works well. Other would be door weather stripping or leak from poorly installed windshield or rust around it.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I have trouble getting the link to copy from amazon. It is $2.86 free shipping. Use the small end and apply gentle pressure putting it in and pulling it out. If you push the brush all the way through you will have to push it back up in the tube before pulling it out up top for front drains. You will need to remove the door sills and kick panels and take the tube loose from the black nipple. I had to take out the fender splash shields to get the nipple seated again. You can buy like a 100 qty splash shields retaining clips from china on ebay for about $7.50 shipped. Search 8mm bumper clips for the 91 prelude. Buy from a usdm seller if you don't want to wait two weeks or a little more to get it from china. Price may increase from us seller or get less of them. I can post a link if needed for the clips from china. Here is the brush description title on amazon:

CrazyEve Flexible Double Ended Long Brush, Perfect for Cleaning the Interior of Assorted Hoses And Bent Pipes

I no longer had the item saved on ebay but I think this is the guy I bought from. $5.99 for a 100 free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pcs-8mm-Nylon-Rivets-Retainer-Bumper-Fender-Clips-for-Honda-Acura-/321825477890?fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3APrelude&hash=item4aee4b1502:g:1iEAAOSwT6pVk0bU&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,

I found the problem. My sunroof drain on the driver side has a cracked boot - so where the drain leaves the car its cracked. I'm gonna try melting some rubber on it to patch it, but if that doesn't work, I need to know my options.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I forget what the tube size is. I want to say 1/2" but that might be wrong. It would have to be measured. You could use a plastic barbed tube fitting and a matching rubber grommet like for firewall wiring. So if it is indeed 1/2" you would use a barbed on both ends 1/2" right angle fitting and a standard 1/2" rubber grommet. That would be what I would try. You might be able to get this stuff at home improvement store like menards or a hardware store. Otherwise http://mcmaster.com has stuff you can look at.

These are discontinued from Honda.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
> These are discontinued from Honda.

I saw that.

As for the fitting, what I'll do if my patch fails ( I'm gonna use a torch to melt a tire plug and use it to patch the crack of the boot/drain ) is I'll use some rubber tubing and a grommet to allow it to drain properly.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah on the plastic right angle barbed fitting you could use some screen material and a plastic zip tie or hose clamp to keep hornets out if your worried about them getting in the tube and making a nest. Might have to clean it more often though.

·
Registered
954 Posts
...My sunroof drain on the driver side has a cracked boot...
Do you have a scuba diving shop anywhere nearby? They usually stock rubber glue that divers use to repair wetsuits and drysuits. It is quite strong stuff, could be worth a try if you can't find a replacement boot.

Just an example.
http://www.drysuits.co.uk/product_p/storm15tube.htm

There is also rubber tape available. If the boot is badly perished, could you wrap a layer of this around the boot and bond it to the boot?
http://www.drysuits.co.uk/Aqua_Rubber_Tape_p/aquatape10.htm

I cannot remember if those boots are plastic or rubber, if they are plastic you will need different adhesive.
http://info.craftechind.com/blog/bid/373580/6-Types-of-Glue-for-Plastic

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The boot is rubber, and I was unable to rescue it by melting rubber into it as 25-year old rubber just is screaming KILL ME NOW. I've tarped my car's sunroof for now until the weather improves. Looks like improvising will be needed for the sunroof drain. Will update on what I do.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The boot is rubber, and I was unable to rescue it by melting rubber into it as 25-year old rubber just is screaming KILL ME NOW. I've tarped my car's sunroof for now until the weather improves. Looks like improvising will be needed for the sunroof drain. Will update on what I do.
I can't remember exactly what these boots look like. However, silicone hose suppliers usually have different size reducers on their shelf. This is a UK company, but you get the idea.
https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/silicone-hoses_9856_straight-reducerssilicone-hose.html

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got it fixed. First of all, hose is 3/8 diameter inner, at least on my car. I used a barbed elbow with some silicone grease, a shorter length of hose, a thin grommet to coat the hole and it exits the car with a little sticking out - I trimmed it and put a cap on the end with a small hole about the size of the old boot hole drilled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts