Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I need to replace the crankshaft pulley on my 1991 Prelude. I know your suppose to get it off using the Honda special tool but I have seen a few hacks at doing it without it and I have decided to use the hack where you jam a pry bar in between the flywheel teeth to stop the crankshaft turning. I saw someone do it on YouTube but where the pry bar was inserted wasn't shown. It looked like it was inserted into this hole...

I can't see flywheel teeth through that hole and I can't find anything in the manual about the flywheel... now that I think about it, I have seen it in the manual but it could have been in the section for a gearbox. I have an automatic transmission.

I am lost because I can't see the flywheel teeth. Can anyone provide feedback?

·
Administrator
6,868 Posts
The aftermarket crankshaft pulley tools are rather cheap and can be purchased just about anywhere online or rented at your local autoparts store here in the US. Unsure how that situation is in your region, but I would certainly look around locally or online first.

I personally wouldn't try jamming anything into the teeth on the flexplate/flywheel incase something becomes damaged.

Reactions: tjcross

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah the tools are here and online. I would love to get a Makita 2000nM impact wrench, right!

Yeah I know jamming the flexplate is not the best way to do it. I was going to have a look at the size of the teeth before I went ahead doing it. If they were too small and had a good chance of braking or bending I wouldn't do it.

Now I am looking at doing the hack where you shove nylon rope down piston 1. Does anyone have any feedback or advice on this?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, so I have read that a lot of people have been having success with the rope hack. I have also read many people warning of bending valves. I have read a few people say that valve damage can be mitigated by checking if the valves are open by listening for air coming out of the spark plug hole with the spark plug out when lowering the piston.

I just watched a video on the relationship between valves and pistons to get a better idea of it.

I see that the valves open every second pass of the piston lowering. So, I need to get my piston in the lower position at this secondary pass.

I could try the listening out way and I guess I could remove the valve cover to check as well but I am not keen on doing that as my valve cover gasket leaks badly and removing the cover and putting it back on will probably make it worse.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to check when the valves are open?

·
Administrator
6,868 Posts
What exactly are you trying to do?

·
Administrator
6,868 Posts
Read the original post and you will find out.

That I did, but seeing you mention sticking rope into the cylinders made it sound as if you're trying to do valve seals as that's a trick for keeping valves from dropping and certainly a bad idea when trying to break a crank bolt free.

I would just rent/buy the tool and use a breaker bar with a jack pole to remove the bolt. Spray plenty of rust penetrant/lube.

Reactions: Kabuki

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh I see what you mean. I thought my original post talked about the rope hack. Sorry, my bad.

I am wanting to use a piece of rope to jam the piston/crankshaft so that I can remove and install the crankshaft pulley bolt.

I just finished studying the four-stroke engine. If I place the rope in when the piston is BDC before the compression stroke then the valves will be closed and be unable to bend when the piston is at TDC. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, it won't cause thousands in damage. :)

Getting the correct tool is not an option for me.

I have decided I am not going ahead with the rope hack after all. Instead, I am going to stop the crankshaft from turning by removing the starter and jamming a pry bar in between flywheel teeth.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so getting the starter off requires a ridiculous amount of things to be removed in or to get to it so that hack can fuck off.

It seems it's either try and wing it with the rope hack or buy the tools. I'll need a special tool and another breaker bar to remove the 1991 crankshaft pulley and then another special tool for installing the 1989 crankshaft pulley. No worries.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts