Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I would like to keep what I have and build it up for all motor. Would like some feed back on what and how I can do it if anyone is willing to feed me some info or at least help me out with some sites I can search.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Engine building

Who's rebuilding the engine? and whats your budget?

I'd start with simple things first, like CAI, good header and exhaust (custom), and adjustable fuel pressure regulator to squeeze a little extra fuel in to the mix.

On a healthy lowish miles engine you could get around 130-140bhp and around 130lbft of torque, but if engine is tired I'd strongly advise a rebuild use oversized pistons, increase CR ratio and do some mild headwork which could get you to around 150bhp, much more the intake is a limitation and you would have to remove the current intake and start getting serious with B18 intake or throttle bodies with a aftermarket ECU, and camshaft which would net you around 160-180bhp. Anything more than this you'll need more headwork, larger valves all round, bigger camshaft, stronger rods, forged pistons etc and will get expensive to keep it from exploding out the block.

Other alternative to injection is you could go old skool and fit pair of Weber Racing Carbs like DCOE or DCO depending on just how much power you want, and also you could look at changing the ignition system to a coil pack setup and crank fired.

You will obviously need to change things like the clutch, flywheel lightening, strengthening the gearbox, uprating brakes, suspension etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be doing it myself. It won't be till next year so I have time to gather info and I'll be pulling it out and build over the course of a year. I have about 200k on the motor but I was also thinkin of buying a spare motor and building that one so I still have a car to drive. If I did that and I just wanted to make my car a little faster what would I have to do? Just the intake, head work and ecu?

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
power

200k is a lot of miles so i expect power will be down to around 100bhp

spare engine is good idea if you can find one in good condition

whats the budget and howmuch extra power do you want

also do you want it to rev or more interested in torque and keeping revs sensible

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For now I would say about 500$ I don't want to do to much if I'm a going to get a spare engine. Just enough to have fun while I still have this motor and Rev is fine

·
Registered
100 Posts
So I have seen "budget" type engine rebuild kits around online. I am very dubious of them.

Is it still possible to rebuild the old A20 with GOOD parts?
I have a tired A20 that runs good but is developing really low compression (190K miles) and I would not mind rebuilding it myself, possibly with a modest bump in HP, but mostly concerned about sourcing good parts.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Rebuild

It's a dead easy engine to rebuild but I would avoid the rock auto cheap rebuild parts.

Get King bearings, or other similar brand, Nippon Racing pistons and rings in oversize kit, and a new oil pump and water pump, head gasket and block kit from Felpro.

You'll have no issues with those parts but you will need to rebore the block as std size pistons are not available anymore.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
$500 rebuild

Hmm well that does limit things somewhat.

First I'd do a compression check on current engine see what state it is in, if it's still got good compression which is possible anything around 170-180 is ok, if its over that then that's really good, even my freshly built blueprinted engines only ever achieved 220psi on each cylinder.

If it is at around 140-150psi then you have worn rings and bores and will need some attention.

You could just re ring the existing pistons after they've been sonically cleaned if they are not too scratched up on the skirts and put in new big end bearings, you can check one of the mains to see if they are shafted but they can do big mileage without issue if its been serviced every 7k miles as per the manual.

I'd concentrate on getting exhaust sorted first and fuel regulator that will get you the biggest increase for the money.

Rebuilding the engine will cost a lot more than $500 pistons alone will be couple hundred, bearings same cost, then you'll need machining work for decking the block, head and re boring the engine cylinders, full gasket kit will be $100 or so, and new oil and water pump. You'll most likely have to fit new guides in the head as well SI valves do bronze ones they're cheap it's the cost of removing and replacing them that will cost money. You'll also need a clutch kit, machining flywheel or ally one instead to replace completely, I'd recommend going for a clutchnet flywheel for 1.8 carbed model and have the uprated clutch for 1.8 carbed prelude fitted will be lighter and strong enough for upto 200bhp depending on the clutch kit fitted, but if on strict budget have the old flywheel machined flat and have material removed from that as much as possible a few lbs can normally be shaved off the back of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you have been a big help in getting started when I come up on a spare motor is when I will start rebuilding big but for now I'll just do what you suggested and check my compression out and go from there. Seems like it will be a fun build. Be my first build so I'm excited. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on this but I do know enough to do the work and have a few friends that have built there cars. Can't wait, too bad it'll be over the course of the next two years but will be done properly and carfully.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator

Any injection one that you can adjust the pressure with I have one from FSE but they're Italian so most likely won't be available your side of the pond. Another company is called Sytec maybe easier to get hold off, just found an interesting one by FSE that enables you to run injection pump and lines but regulates pressure down to carb level enabling use of carbs on Injection original car. So for you putting on weber carbs or set of Bike sports carbs would be a good option to get a lot of power for reasonable money. Bit more than your budget at the moment so I'd concentrate on basics first like suggested earlier. Then when you have engine built and exhaust etc. sorted you can then look to increase fueling by adding carbs (if you don't have strict SMOG rules? forgot to ask about that) but you'll probably have to make sure you have a carb guru nearby to get them jetted and balanced properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts