Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever been jealous of the VW flip key?

.. i was so i did something about it.

A buddy i went to college with was selling a bunch of blanks so ppl could with older vw's that werent offered flippers could have them. well i bought one and went at it. He was selling them for $40. you can find them on vw websites for a little more and sometimes i see them on ebay. theyre used keys with blanks in them. if theyre new with new keys that need laser cut theyre gonna be hella expensive so understand what you need to look for. the older vw keys are cut just like any regular honda, etc...

Items you'll need:

VW flipper w/ key.
Honda blank key for your car.
misc. other tools to modify it.

...yup.

itll look like this. there should be a blank in there that wont work for your car but youll need it for now...

you'll need a really small allen key or something similar. the point im touching is a pin you'll need to punch out so the key can actually come out of the "block" as i'll call it.

its kind of a pain in the ass to keep the key from trying to flip all the way open too so i went ahead and clamped the key in a vice & punched out the pin. as seen below.

OKay so i didnt decide to make this write up till after i had finished it so im using a previously trimmed key in the "blank vw keys" place. so thats why it looks sooo similar.

When you pull out the vw key and sit the pin on the slot on the key you can see it sits about half way into the groove. youre gonna end up trimming a groove into the honda blank you have.

take your blank and lay the vw key on it and trace the outline of the inserted end onto the blank.

once its you cut the honda key to shape with a dremel or what have you, slip it into the vw block and make a line where you see i did below... itll make sense why in a picture or two.

pull the key out and hold the key up to the side of the flipper and line that line you drew up the the front edge. youll then need to mark where the pin hole is at on your honda key you just cut. i already have the groove cut in this picture but you see what im saying... i hope. lol

Once the groove is cut, it should look like this...

Try slipping the key in and re-installing the pin you took out. if the groove is lined up with the hole then the key will be held in perfectly and look like this.

The next thing you should have to do... the side cutout the vw fit into was a little small for the honda key to close into, so i needed to trim it out a little to allow the tip to fit down in aswell as the sides.

End product.... rather to confusing to most ppl. plus if you lose your keys somewhere. Theres little to no chance that anyone could guess what car the keys go to.

Let me know what you think. Feedback is appreciated. & sorry it took me almost 4 yrs to do this writeup. hahha

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
nice write up. im sure its hard to find a round honda logo lol
actually i wonder if this would fit on there?

it comes off of a little piston keychain honda has (the keychains come apart very easily and this is the only thing i can find of it anymore and it has lived in my coin pocket since the keychain broke)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
actually i wonder if this would fit on there?

it comes off of a little piston keychain honda has (the keychains come apart very easily and this is the only thing i can find of it anymore and it has lived in my coin pocket since the keychain broke)
you've gotta mail that to him lol. :smilejap:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
As long as anyone doing this is really careful taking a 5th gen key apart, I'm sure you could find space to mount the chip in the VW key fob.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I dunno about the vw key, but I have some knock off one with a honda logo from ebay and there's definitely enough room for the chip.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I dunno about the vw key, but I have some knock off one with a honda logo from ebay and there's definitely enough room for the chip.

you found a honda flip yet on ebay? or just a knock off honda regular blank?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts