Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reason I am typing it in, is because no where on the forums, let alone the internet seems to know WTF is wrong with this damned car.... Here is the issue, very in depth.

Got a 98' about 3 years ago. First issue driving the car was a p0700 and p1791, indicated speed sensor issues. After driving it for a extended amount of time, the speedometer would bounce slightly then continue to bounce rapidly up and down until it went to 0, then it would pop the code and the D4 light would begin to flash. I've replaced all 3 speed sensors, 3 times each over the 3 years and the car continues to do this. Another caveat is that during the fall and winter months, it does not pop the code or act funny. It only does it after 30-40 mins of driving in weather of 85+ degrees. I personally replaced the engine coolant sensor thinking this was the issue, it was not.

Now, you thinking its because the tranny going out because its a AT - guess what, you AT haters are wrong. I just had the AT transmission replaced with a warranted, shiny new one just over a week ago, every sensor and connector checked and it still popped the damned code. Over the past 3 years of having the car, I have taken it into 3 different shops that work on car electronics and transmissions - they kept it for 2-3 days and they could not find anything out of place or messed up.

After getting it back from the tranny shop, 4 days later it popped the code again, called the shop and it has been in their care for the past 3 days attempting to figure this thing out.

I live in CA and trying to get it smogged with this issue is really rough, but I have done this twice since having the car.... of course my registration date is in july so it is tricky. I reset the code with a ecu tool. The prelude seems to clear all monitors after driving for exactly 50 miles. I drive it very late at night when the weather is in the 60-70s until the monitors clear, take it in the morning while it is still cool to get it smogged. passes every time. Usually within 15-20 mins after the smog, code pops again without fail.

Just talked to them on the phone and it feels like they are having issues trying to figure this out. Really grasping for straws here... any help would be appreciated guys....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another update.

Each shop has checked computer and tcm repeatably, including one shop replacing it.

Just got the car back from the shop and they could not find anything, only thing they did was replace the drive shaft sensor and said to drive it over the weekend to see if it pops again.

Just drove it for a hour in stop and go traffic but it is 60 degrees outside and rainy, just like in fall and winter conditions, it wont show the issue. Will try driving it tomorrow when it is going to be much hotter and post a update.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmm. Sounds like a computer issue. When the shop replaced "it" do you mean the ECU or the TCM? Have you had them inspect your wiring. Your car's wiring is nearly 18 years old - after 18 years its quite possible that the wiring is worn out and has excess resistance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wiring

Turns out the transmission they just replaced was in fact, the original. Talk about luck at 164k miles for a automatic. new transmission has a completely different model, even the dipstick is about 6 inches to the left of where the original was. I've babied it for 3 years and it had shifting issues all this time.

Yes, they have gone through it twice. Last week when new transmission was put in and again for the past 3 days. I'm beginning to think the transmission is overheating after driving it for extended periods of time?

The TCM was replaced about 2 years ago when I had the cash to take it to shops.

Another possibility and quite oddly enough; my 98 has 99-01 sensors on it that according to 2 different shops, it should not of had and of course they have not been removed.

I'm in the process of restoring under the hood completely, engine was rebuilt when I got the car and it was "blown up" was the better term the mechanic used.

The only issue is this weird VSS thing. I just really love the look of the car and rarity. The body is in amazing condition.

·
Registered
221 Posts
have you cleaned the major grounds? including the one on the thermostat? even if they dont look bad, grounds can cause the wierdest electrical issues.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
+1 for checking your grounds, as well as all of your wiring harness that you can see.

It doesn't take much for a sensitive system like the VSS to go haywire if a bad connection or broken wire is going nuts. The fact that the engine and transmission have been out of the car more than once leads me to think that somewhere down the line, something got pinched, broken, or hooked up incorrectly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Agree with checking the grounds. Can cause all sorts of symptoms. Clean the connections and the connectors and then use some dielectric grease on them and you shouldn't have any problem with that connection again.
If worse comes to worse, and it seems like you're there, bring it to a Honda dealer. sometimes they're the only ones that can deal with these elusive problems. Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts