Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been off this site for a while but thought I'd come back to write a short review on the eBay viton valve seals I purchased.

I think Diamondsleeper said something in a post about having lost faith in felpro valve seals, and I'll second that. My first experience lasted about 50'000 kms until my engine blew, but I had some top end burning for the time that it was running.

When I attempted my forged build I installed a new set of seals, (felpro) however my rings didn't end up seating properly and I had to pull it apart. when I dis-assembled my head I notice one of the seals was no longer locked onto the stem thus no seal at all for that valve. Also, all seals came off very easily and felt soft. (less than 5000km's)

When I pulled that engine and swapped in a stock B20a5, I again, installed a new set of seals (felpro again) because why not. Ended up having solid bad valve seal symptoms so apart came the head again.

again, I found a seal popped off and all seals felt soft (jacket/shield is rubber).

At this point you're probably thinking I suck at installing valve seals. Maybe! However.

I decided screw felpro and ordered some ebay blue viton valve seals, ad said "fits H23 and B20a5". Sounded a little weird to me but I went for it. Best decision of my life!!!

First off, the rubber simply feels great on the seals. I can't explain it, but you know what I'm talking about if you've compared viton to regular. Second, metal jacked/shield!! So friggen sturdy and clicked super nice when installing onto the stem.

Haven't burnt a drop of oil in 15'000 km's. (B20a5 block/head with B21 components, around 180'000km's) Sure that's not super high at this point but I've never driven my car without it puffing something so I'm over the moon. Highly recommend if you're changing your valve seals.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
well there are a few things that don't make sense. The fel pro jackets are metal. Secondly the fel pro valve seals use Viton rubber. I can repost their article stating such if needed. I think but would have to check that there are two versions for the 3rd gen lude of valve seals from fel pro. It would make sense because there are two versions of valve guide tops. I think it is either two or one groove on the valve guide. I already bought fel pro valve guide seals so I guess I will find out for myself if they are any good. Did you oil the valve when installing the seals every time?

Lastly you don't have to take the head off to replace the seals. But that might be the cheapest option if you don't want to buy the universal ohc valve tool that I have in my oddball and large tool thread. With use of lisle or other spark plug hose with compressor or just use nylon rope stuffed down in the chamber. But if your taking the head off it would be wise to replace the head gasket so there is some money spent there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well there are a few things that don't make sense. The fel pro jackets are metal. Secondly the fel pro valve seals use Viton rubber. I can repost their article stating such if needed. I think but would have to check that there are two versions for the 3rd gen lude of valve seals from fel pro. It would make sense because there are two versions of valve guide tops. I think it is either two or one groove on the valve guide. I already bought fel pro valve guide seals so I guess I will find out for myself if they are any good. Did you oil the valve when installing the seals every time?

Lastly you don't have to take the head off to replace the seals. But that might be the cheapest option if you don't want to buy the universal ohc valve tool that I have in my oddball and large tool thread. With use of lisle or other spark plug hose with compressor or just use nylon rope stuffed down in the chamber. But if your taking the head off it would be wise to replace the head gasket so there is some money spent there.
Sorry, I realize some of my phrasing could be misleading. I never took off the head during my seal replacement process, yes that would have been quite a lot more expensive and tedius.

Interesting what you said about the different stems....perhaps I got the wrong seals? And yes of course, oiled everytime. My seals both times had rubber jackets, if yours are metal perhaps you'll have better luck. When I went with the viton it was a one shot deal.

Give an update on your seals after you've been running them for a bit! I'm just one experience.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
What year b20a5? and was the rubber umbrella seal on an exhaust valve? I picked up some really cheap not full set individually priced beck arnley seals years ago from rockauto.com. I think that brand but I would have to dig them out to confirm had rubber intake valve seals and metal umbrella exhaust seals. If you kept the box or have a receipt with the part number of the fel pro sets you used, I would be interested in knowing the part number. The fel pro set I bought was 5 years ago or more. I think it is accessible and I will look for it when I am out in the garage again. I haven't looked at them in quite awhile. I know the box I have even say made of Viton on it. I don't know if they still say that but I did find a press release several years ago or document from federal mogul stating so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts