Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so when I got my head back from the machinist I specifically asked him if I needed to clean it or anything before bolting it all back together. He reassured me that it was completely unnessarry to do any cleaning, just bolt it on and go. I noticed that there was some gritty sand like stuff on alot of the surfaces, so I asked again. Same response, just bolt it on and go. So I get the head torqued down yesterday, and I'm putting the valvetrain together, and I feel that gritty crap inside the bolt holes for the cam caps. I'm pretty pissed now, I spent 4 hours cleaning that crap out of all the holes and got everything put together. I'm pretty sure that the grit is valve lapping compund, my main concern is the oil supply for the cams goes through the inner bolt holes on the cam caps. If there's any grit in the oil suppy I'm afraid it will mess up my cams. What do I do? should I even worry? is it normal?

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Should have been cleaned properly by the machine shop (Though I always blow it out with compressed air myself to be sure.) Did you tell them about the grit everywhere?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Even when I use my most trusted machinist I always make sure everything is clean before re-fitting.

If in doubt, clean it out.

I'd check with the paste makers and see what they say about their product. Some do dissolve quite easily and won't harm anything, others may not be so.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
dude you should take that head off immediately and find a shop, hand one of the guys 10 bucks and have them clean it thoroughly in a parts washer, the jetted parts washers that are pretty much a dishwashing machine for car parts are the best

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dude you should take that head off immediately and find a shop, hand one of the guys 10 bucks and have them clean it thoroughly in a parts washer, the jetted parts washers that are pretty much a dishwashing machine for car parts are the best
Yea, but will that get into the holes? I'm worried about the stuff in the oil passages..

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Also I believe the parts washer will destroy the valve stem seals correct?

Have you tried taking some of that gritty stuff and seeing what rubbing some oil on it does? If it instantly disolves.. i wouldn't worry about it.. just run the motor and change the oil at a very short interval.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I believe the parts washer will destroy the valve stem seals correct?

Have you tried taking some of that gritty stuff and seeing what rubbing some oil on it does? If it instantly disolves.. i wouldn't worry about it.. just run the motor and change the oil at a very short interval.
mmm good point about the seals.. I didn't actually check to see that the stuff dissolves in oil, but I was rubbing it between my fingers with Marvels all over my fingers, and I don't think it was dissolving, but I wasn't really paying attention, it was like "hey this is gritty, I don't like that" and wipe it off on my pants, and I don't know how long it takes to dissolve normally...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts