Honda Prelude Forum banner

Valve cover gaskets and others

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Kabuki 
#1 ·
What are the best replacement gasket brands for these b20 and 21 engines? Mine is beat up and can't find OEM.I specifically need a valves cover gasket right now, and others later I'm sure.

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Fel-Pro makes valve cover gaskets and stuff like that for 3rd gens. Not the greatest but at least it's not discontinued... yet. Used to call 'em Felch-Pro, actually. With the right amount of RTV in the right spots, it should be fine.

#4 ·
What do you guys think of this one? WD express? I think i remember hearing bad things, but unsure. I am thinking of getting the Mahle one. Seems like they might be decent. LOL. I think I'm gonna pass on the Felcher. LOL. If i see the link again i will share it, but one guy on ebay had listed a tube of Honda Bond as a valve cover gasket for these 3rd gen ludes.

Thinking this one might be blowing smoke, but who knows.

#6 ·
In my experience, Fel-Pro gaskets are adequate, but not great. Honda original equipment suppliers OPT, Ajusa, and Ishino are the highest quality available. You may find them under names such as Stone, Nippon Reinz, or Victor Reinz. Mahle also makes excellent gaskets, and they seem to be making more Honda parts now, definitely a good choice. The best recommendation I can give you is to buy the whole kit, though. You should be replacing the valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, and hold-down washer grommets every time you adjust the valves. And if the gasket has been on long enough to leak, you should definitely be adjusting the valves while you are there. If you don't feel comfortable with the adjustment, have a professional do it, because if you fuck it up you can do some real damage to the head.

Related Honda part numbers:
12341-PK2-020 Valve Cover Gasket
12342-PT2-000 Spark Plug Tube Seals (need 4)
90441-PK2-000 Washers (need 7)

12030-PK2-010 Valve Cover Gasket Set (contains all of the above twelve parts)
For some reason, none of my vendors like this number anymore, despite most of them offering the kit. Amazon shows a Victor Reinz kit under the even older version of the number, 12030-PK2-000.

Last, but by no means least... When installing the gasket and the tube seals, we strongly recommend using Hondabond or Ultra Grey sealant (just a touch) on the corners of the gasket and bottom of the tube seals. My technicians typically only use this method, but personally I like to put a thin layer on all of the gasket surfaces that contact the cylinder head, because I hate going back in for leaks.

#7 ·
Thanks for the awesome info. I appreciate it very much. I've slowly been going through this old girl trying to repair the neglect and abuse she has been subjected to. I absolutely intend to adjust my valves. No telling if or when it was ever done. She runs pretty well all things considered. I bought a Mahle oil pan gasket, I'm glad you like my choice. I'm still waiting for it, but I'm guessing it will be alright from what you said. So, I guess if that works out well, I will be buying the top side gaskets and seals. I've done a bit of reading, and from what I read proper valve adjustments are pretty critical to keeping these heads running well. Right now i haven't driven it much yet, but i just flushed the coolant and sealed up the exhaust manifold and downpipe, when i had it off, it looked like the valve stems had gotten a bit hot (a little on the grey white side) and I'd like to see if adjusting the valves to spec would help. I might take the manifold back off to see if i could clean the stems a bit to see if they stay whitish later. She runs well, so i don't think damage is done yet. I do actually think I will replace the head gasket sometime in the future with something good. (?Cometic gasket?) Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks again for your great reply bud.

#9 ·
Be careful with that. I have run into counterfeit parts on Ebay in bags with Honda labels on them. A customer brought one to me and the part was trash. Additionally, I don't know that I would say $8.55 + $4.00 shipping is "dirt cheap", when Honda list is only $13.05 Just go to your local dealer and, if that's the part you want.

#11 ·
I was going to say... when I did mine last year, I was told that the OEM part is discontinued. I believe the guy because he brings in OEM stuff for my Civic all the time. Oh, and I work with him. Worked with him for over ten years now. I give him the part numbers and he makes it happen. Even stuff for my Civic is starting to get discontinued and it's a 2004, for Pete's shit. Anyway, in this case I had to have the parts department bring me an aftermarket one... don't recall who made it. Some dealer somewhere might have a new OEM one lying around but I doubt it. Lots of third gen parts are discontinued. You show me a new OEM valve cover gasket from the dealer and I'll show you a green dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.