Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Valve Cover Gasket for my new 90 Lude S. I told him the engine code, b20a3, and that it is cardbd, and he orders it. Well they get it and its for a DOHC engine, and its huge and doesnt fit. He says that my motor could be from an 89 block, since my car was made in march...which i dont even know how he knows that...anyways, we get the wrong gasket, and hes saying that the valve cover gaskets for the b20a3 and b20a5 are the same...any assistance here would be aswesome

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
Well, he sounds like a fuckin' moron. If he doesn't understand the difference between a SOHC head and a DOHC head, I think it's time to take your business elsewhere. Unless they really are interchangeable, and it sounds to me as though they are not, this guy doesn't know shit from shovels. I'd take it back there and strangle all the life out of him with it. He obviously doesn't deserve to live. I hate him.

--J

EDIT: If he still doesn't believe that they're not the same, show him this:

http://www.drivewire.com/hondaparts/catalog/hondapreludevalvecovergasket.html

Sure, this is only one example, but the part numbers between the two (B20A3 vs B20A5/B21) are different. Once you've shown him this, devour his firstborn son.

·
12,918 Posts
What is this like canadian tire or something?
I bet he's reading off his computer.. bring it back and tell him you want the right part.. or try somewhere else and you might have better luck.

They're always like that at canadian tire.. they go off their computers and you're always the one that's wrong.. tell him to order both and prove his ass wrong.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The honda part number is 12341-PK1-000. Honda List price is $10.98. You should also pick up the washer seals, #90441-PC6-000.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
That's retarded. The computers at my work are the opposite: It'll list the same fucking part number five times for different versions of the car, even though it's the same part, like:
NGA 5555 Head Gasket. Power windows
NGA 5555 Head Gasket. exc. Power windows
NGA 5555 Head GAsket. Dealer-installed cruise control
NGA 5555 Head Gasket. All-wheel ABS w/ Rear Disc Brakes
etc.

Yeah go back to the store and punch that guy in the head for being stupid, then order your stuff somewhere else. Are there NAPAs in Canada? NAPA won't screw you over. If you don't have a NAPA, come down to california and I'll sell you the gasket :D I need the commission :D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the guy finally realized that he screwed up the typing, and we got our money back, and went to autozone and they had it in stock. SO this was pretty much a vent post...but thanks for the assistance, o and btw, does anyone know where i can find out how to get the head off my b21a1?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Shop manual. Either get a paper one or use the one on teaminterlude's site. There's a link in the 3g forum stickies.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
remove exhaust mani
remove intake mani
remove valve cover
remove cams
remove coolant lines
unplug or remove distributor and cyl sensor
remove head bolts
pull head off

lol. service manual tells how. check the FAQ for the online manual if the link still works. otherwise get one at a store, they're not that expensive

·
4,349 Posts
You don't HAVE to take the intake manifold off to pull a head. In fact, I think it's easier to pull the head with it on.

--J

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
motoxxxman said:
remove exhaust mani
remove intake mani (Not needed)
remove valve cover
remove cams
remove coolant lines
unplug or remove distributor and cyl sensor
remove head bolts
pull head off

lol. service manual tells how. check the FAQ for the online manual if the link still works. otherwise get one at a store, they're not that expensive
You DO NOT need to remove the intake mani if you are removing the head. It comes off relatively easy with it on.

·
4,349 Posts
Whoa...

--J

·
4,349 Posts
What the hell is going on here!!?

--J

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
the intake is a bitch to remove without the head being off first or the whole engine out....speaking of....

when we pulled my damn engine/tranny out together, the front corner of the engine by the alternator has a tow hook, and the back corner by the shifter linkage has 2 tow hooks on the tranny, but does the block have a tow hook in that opposite/diagonal corner as the other engine tow hook? NO!!! WTF honda??? lol

·
Registered
750 Posts
LudaPower said:
What is this like canadian tire or something?
I bet he's reading off his computer.. bring it back and tell him you want the right part.. or try somewhere else and you might have better luck.

They're always like that at canadian tire.. they go off their computers and you're always the one that's wrong.. tell him to order both and prove his ass wrong.

canadian tire doesnt exists in the states. dude most of these ppl are from the states. they have auto zone

ne how ive heard too many stories of idiots telling noobs that this will work or its ok to do that.. its a SOHC

and you can clearly see that the DOHC gasket has 2 lumps on each side were the 2 cams are. hes dumb and should end his life.

period

1 - 17 of 17 Posts