Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking high and low for a cheap 98-02 accord trans for the longer gears and not having a atts, but it's becoming impossible to find.

Can I use the SH block and trans, delete the atts and put a half shaft in there and use base axles?

I just want to get this car on the road already. I'll eventually swap a accord trans later down the road

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You have to have some sort of adapter to mount the half shaft, but yes.

·
Registered
284 Posts
yeah like that^^ i wouldnt trust it personally. but yeah youd just have to get a half shaft and drivers side axle. theres a write up somewhere but it seems from your picture reference that youve found it. why do you want to delete the atts anyways? just bc you want the accord tranny?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Are you planning to boost later? An Accord transmission in a Prelude would really, really hurt acceleration, which translates to being less fun.

If you simply want better gas mileage while putting around town, buy the entire Accord.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That picture is off my car. My own homemade adapter that I made a month ago.

I was going to swap the accord tranny for better fuel economy. I used to have a boosted accord and it wasn't too bad. I eventually want to boost this lude. I just hate driving it on the highway at 80 mph and it screaming at 4k rpm

·
Registered
5,598 Posts

I was going to swap the accord tranny for better fuel economy. I used to have a boosted accord and it wasn't too bad. I eventually want to boost this lude. I just hate driving it on the highway at 80 mph and it screaming at 4k rpm
Then it would be a lot easier to simply swap 4th and/or 5th gear from an Accord into your existing transmission.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the problem, I never took a tranny apart. Always nervous about that. Tearing a engine down to bare and assembling back together is no problem for me, tranny is a different story

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
how would swapping gears be easier than swapping transmissions? most people here can swap a trans, and most people here are too scared to split open the case of a transmission...

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
how would swapping gears be easier than swapping transmissions? most people here can swap a trans, and most people here are too scared to split open the case of a transmission...
You aren't just swapping a trans. You have to remove ATTS components, fab the adapter plate, deal with the half shaft, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
you can't use an SH transmission. Its designed to fit the atts and its different then a half shaft. You can use an SH block with a base transmission and then make a braket to hold the halfshaft.

·
Registered
221 Posts
^this

the sh trans has a bigger "axle hole" on the atts side than a base trans does. so a base intermediate shaft will not work in an sh trans. at best you can do the sh block/base trans, just like i have, after examining both trans' and possible combos.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I found that out yesterday after buying new axle seals from Honda :(

I really need a f23 5spd but their like hard to come by

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can't use an SH transmission. Its designed to fit the atts and its different then a half shaft. You can use an SH block with a base transmission and then make a braket to hold the halfshaft.
I have a1992 Honda CB7 Accord EX sedan that I have swapped and converted with a 2000 prelude sh motor(H22A4) and 5speed trans(M2U4 ATTS). Using the P5P ECU with a piggyback add on harness for the IAB, VTEC and knock sensors with the reverse OBD1 to OBD2a conversion jumper harness. However I couldn't use the ATTS as I didn't get the harness with it and my Accord chassis harness doesn't provide such ports/plugs, sofar no one makes or sells adapter or add on type harness for that and it also wouldn't fit with my chassis. So what I did was part out the ATTS keeping the main center shaft part as well as the dual shaft adapter(the one between the trans and ATTS unit) and I got an intermediate shaft bearing carrier mount fitted on the shaft to keep in place and it drives both forward and reverse no problem, I haven't had any trouble turning so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car is a Gold 1992 Honda CB7 Accord EX sedan with a 1990 Acura DA9 Integra frontend conversion with a 2000 Honda Prelude SH DOHC VTEC motor and 5spd trans swap. Tbh my entire car is made up of several makes/models and I run it hard racing mountain touge time attacks. thats where the picture of my fire glowin brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been looking high and low for a cheap 98-02 accord trans for the longer gears and not having a atts, but it's becoming impossible to find.

Can I use the SH block and trans, delete the atts and put a half shaft in there and use base axles?

I just want to get this car on the road already. I'll eventually swap a accord trans later down the road

I gotba half shaft on Amazon for the atts delete and it bolted right on

When I done my atts delete I got the half shaft and that was the only thing I had to do. the sh axles worked perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The other most important things to note is the differential of the M2U4 ATTS trans is on the driverside where the atts would usually mount by 2 seperate shafts within each other each spins opposed directions. The larger center shaft is the one that's clutched by the atts unit that coupler also serves a seal to keep trans oil within the two shafts. Other thing is the splines on the inner shaft go deeper in comparison to an actual half shaft the splines are too short it may notseat in the splined diff case and trying to use only a half shaft will not seal the trans oil and you'll experience much problems.
Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory Font Diagram

Here is how i did mine. I used a bearing carrier for a female halfshaft and trim the inner race alittle and parted out the atts unit completely so as to keep the center mainshaft minus the clutches and planterary gearset then kept the 2 shaft couplers large outer and the smaller center one which is the proper one with the seal and longer splines to match the diff. And this worked perfectly. Prior to this i did try both male and female halfshafts alone and i would get oil leaks and occasional what seemed like a shaft popout but with slight grinds(this where the shaft splines not long enough)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts