Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have been member in the PP forum for the past 4-5 years and I was always wondering about the USDM seatbelts of the 3rd gen preludes.

I mentioned that they are attached to and placed in the doors, does anyone of you know how to converts EDM to USDM seatbelts , and what parts do I need :) ?

And do you know somebody who sells the needed parts for this conversation :)?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
So you want to remove the EDM belts and fit USDM belts in their place?

If so I suspect some folk may want to help you with that lol
I would if it were a simple unbolt/bolt affair but it's not.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Almost certainly not as most people (me included) want to do the opposite, to actually fit USDM belts as a choice would call for emergency psychiatric help. ;-)

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
It's a simple swap. Bring your 3rd gen to my house and trade it for mine. :lol:

I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to do this, but you really should reconsider. While it's better than other manufacturers' solution to the passive restraint requirements of that era, anyone who has them would prefer to have them mounted to the b-pillar instead of in the door.

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
You would need to reinforce the area that the EDM ludes already have in stock form.

It requires welding, and then purchasing an EDM or JDM seatbelt setup out of country.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
You would need to reinforce the area that the EDM ludes already have in stock form.

It requires welding, and then purchasing an EDM or JDM seatbelt setup out of country.
Read it again Sean...he's wanting to convert from EDM to USDM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahah, yes my lude is EDM 2.0 si 4ws :), I live in one small country in middle Europe and every guy with 3rd gen prelude here wants an USDM seatbelt attached to the door because it looks sexy :).

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
So did that one-night-stand after 15 pints of ale.
Then reality kicks in....

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is wild ! That someone actually likes the seat belts on the door , it makes them so heavy and my hinges are crying !

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Troll? It's hitting us hard and making me sad
I doubt it... in Japan there are people converting their Civics to look like USDM base models. I would personally love to have the OtherDM rear lip on my lude. I could go on. The grass is always greener!

Though... it's really hard to imagine how the USDM seat belts could be construed as desirable. It's an awful contraption. I am really glad my Prelude is Canadian and has normal ones.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Though... it's really hard to imagine how the USDM seat belts could be construed as desirable. It's an awful contraption..
:emthup:
I am trying to delay fitting my race seats and harnesses for as long as possible (until the car is track ready) but those horrible belts are making it increasingly hard to put it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still dont get what is so uncomfortable besides that the door is getting heavier, can you please explain me more profoundly guys :( ?

Cheers

·
Registered
954 Posts
I still dont get what is so uncomfortable besides that the door is getting heavier, can you please explain me more profoundly guys :( ?

Cheers
I have read about people having trouble with the electrical system on USDM seat belts, causing battery drain. I believe another reason for preferring the EUDM style seat belts is their sheer simplicity.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes to the battery drain ! In my 89 my seat belt retractor motors were draining my battery bad so I had to take the fuse out for it .

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Ah so there are also electric retractors with the USDM seatbelts :D ?
Yes.

Nice nice
No!
Horrible.

TBH you will have a lot of work to do to fit them into a non-US car. Probably cost as much to get all the parts and fit them as the car is worth in total.

It is not just simply swapping parts over. The wiring and connections would probably put most people off straight away.
The door is not up to the task as it is, neither are the belt anchors correct.
Anyone considering it after that needs psychiatric help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well :) I am an electronic engineer and I converted my car with JDM climate control , JDM power folding mirrors ,JDM TCS and cruise control so definetly I am up to that as well :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts