Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Ive had problems since ive had the car, and its been just under 2months...

The Car

My Lude is a 1993 J Reg, Honda Prelude. 2.0 16v Model. It was brought the way it is. Mod's include are; 40mm Lowered Suspension, Super Chipped ECU Stage 1. (No idea what chip). Jetex Custom Exhaust System, 17's..

etc..

Those are the obvious ones and probably dont effect the starting.
Standard air intake etc...

The problem

The car is turning over, and has spark but just isn't firing.
Now the it started doing this since the weather has been freezing cold in the UK! The car performs fine when the car has warmed up or the weather is good. Maybe that is just coincidence.

Now, with a can of Easy Start in through the Air Intake the car eventually starts and runns like a dream, But that is only a FORCED start. Once the car has warmed up i can turn it off, and start it again any time during that day aslong as it hasnt gone very cold again. It starts with out trouble then.

But left over night the car will not start next morning.

I am out of ideas, i have ran a check for problems, and the orange light, second from left i think.. stays on! I believe that reads that there are no problems. So We are puzzled!

What we have done..

- All fuses have been checked!
- New Fuel Pump
- New temp Sensor
- I have a New MAP sensor
- 4+ Bosch Spark Plugs
- Swapped over the Ignition Coils from a 2.3
(Same Situation as was before)
- Swapped Spark plugs from another Lude to see if they worked.. (Same Situation as was before)
- Checked for spark and all 4 are producing.
(Same Situation as was before)
- Checked Power from batter. (Same Situation as was before)

I have a donor 2.0 so all parts i need i can get off that. We will be trying the ECU swap tomorrow to see if that is the problem. But other than this i am out of ideas.

Anyone else had similar problems? Or Know of any ideas of what the problem could be?

It may be something easy that we have overlooked but we are at an end now.

The car has no Alarm or Imobilsor that i know off! The original was ripped out by what looks like a bodge job for reasons i really have no clue! Other than the original seller said that the alarm was constantly going off!

I assume it was done properly, and that the immobilsor isn't the issue here?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem to my prelude, and at first I tried the main relay...Not it, then I tried the ignition switch. It's an entire cable and everything that goes with it... it worked. Eventually what happened is I had to hold the key forward at all times to keep it running. If you search there is all sorts of information on these forums on this. It might take a while to read all of them but you will eventually find it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...

Is that the same if the car wont start at all? but only starts when the cars warmed up?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neither has my dad or I before this car! lol.

It has amind of its own!

I might end up taking it to honda if i cant get it sorted! But i wont be able to afford the bill that comes with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Might want to do a compression test also, that is a sign of a bad valve.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
it sounds to me like a bad ecu, or incorrect settings on whatever chip it has.
try swapping the ecu first. if that doesnt change anything, my next guess would be the main relay, or maybe even as simple as just a weak battery.
have you tried starting it while jumping it?

i only mention that because my truck has that issue, where when its too cold out the battery is too weak to power the fuel injectors. it'll turn over fine, and sometimes kick a little, but refuses to start. but as soon as i throw jumper cables or a battery charger on it while trying to start it, it fires right up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it sounds to me like a bad ecu, or incorrect settings on whatever chip it has.
try swapping the ecu first. if that doesnt change anything,
That was it.. My dad and I swapped the ECU from my Donor car to this one and it fired up first time and has done so ever since..

The only problem now is that the Cell light is on...
Any idea's to what it could be? takes about 5seconds to come on once the car is started! But is bugging me now! I ran a code check but nothing, just wondered if i did it properly. It drives fine, no problems, but there is obviously something wrong if it has come on and stayed on!

Done the ECU reset after the swap too!

Thanks for all your replies. Any further help is a bonus!

·
Registered
175 Posts
That was it.. My dad and I swapped the ECU from my Donor car to this one and it fired up first time and has done so ever since..

The only problem now is that the Cell light is on...
Any idea's to what it could be? takes about 5seconds to come on once the car is started! But is bugging me now! I ran a code check but nothing, just wondered if i did it properly. It drives fine, no problems, but there is obviously something wrong if it has come on and stayed on!

Done the ECU reset after the swap too!

Thanks for all your replies. Any further help is a bonus!
Go to the DIY section and read on how to check your CEL.

·
Registered
786 Posts
glad you got it working.

bail on those bosch plugs though. junk.
get a set of NGK's. i had the +4 plugs before and the car ran like crap. put NGK's in she ran great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts