Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update 7-26-2018: www.amazon.com offers both the Black and Red.

1. I found out that www.JCWhitney.com sells a set of 8 per the website for: $33.57 BL or Red
2. www.jegs.com
3. www.summitracing.com

Ok its official we have found the right part# from Prothane and Energy Suspension for replacement Upper Control Arm Bushings!

1. Prothane kit #8-213
2. Energy Suspension #16.3106R (R = red color)

Update: Prothane Part# 8-213 (94-96 Accord - Rear bushings only will work for all four corners of our Preludes)

For Lower shock fork (outer) bushing: Prothane 8-907
LCA inner bushing: Prothane 8-210

And yes, the box for 8-907 was labelled Accord fitment.

Update 7-18-09: Prothane #8-213 kit

Ok I ordered my new bushing kit for the front, since I lost one on the road some where in WA state because I did not use bigger washers. And as discussed before its cheaper than the initial kit I ordered and there is no waste of the extra bushings that does not fit in our ludes anywhere.

Here is the kit and it costs only: $26.55 + $8.99s/h = Total: $35.54 (per pair - front or rear) *You must order the same kit twice if you are doing all four corners. - This kit is designed for the 90-96 Accords Upper Control Arm

To Fill the gap inside the Bushings---->

95649A256 UHMW Polyethylene Flat Washer 3/4" Screw Size, 1.32" OD, .05"-.07" Thick, packs of 10 $7.50

To use as the external washers on the outside of the control arm ---->
91090A115 Zinc-Plated Steel Large-Diameter Flat Washer 3/8" Screw Size, 1-1/2" OD, .04"-.06" Thick, packs of 100 $9.23

And for the Bushings ---->
x2 Prothane - Control Arm Bushing Kit
Part #: PTP 8-213 (Order two of this kit)

Here is the picture of the actual kit.

Prothane kit that fits are #8-213 kits.
Energy Suspension 16.3106R is part # for their version.
The 94-96 Accord UCA kit fits perfectly!!!! Here are the pics to prove it...
Kit#8-205

Update: 6-25-2013
Another Prothane kit has been verified to work with the Upper Control Arm Bushings.

Kit# 8-204 (90-93 Honda Accord UCA).

The correct ones are the smaller bushings. The bigger ones are throw aways or sell them cheap to some 4th gen luder.

In this shot you can see the minor spacing inbetween the bushings. I measure it and it is only 0.12in, which is nothing. If you must have something in there then I am sure you can find a washer or some other rubber bushing to fit in there. I feel its perfect for jamming a bunch of hte grease that comes with the kit to keep it lubricating from within. :)

Here they are after I push them in by hand.

So, after years of wondering with the help of few members, we have found the perverbial golden egg for low cost Upper Control Arm bushings that are off the shelf(so to speak) and made in the US out of Polyurethane!

This is sticked in the Performance upgrade thread, and I will ask Cuda to add and edit his "Final Polyurethane" thread to include this.

We have won!!!!! :) :turn: :Rock: :smilejap:

For the Front and Rear Outer(Shock Fork) control arm bushings here is the bushings from Prothane that you can use to change them out:
Lower outer rear control arm bushing and rear lower shock mount bushing is the same bushing. This bushing is the same as the front lower control arm outer bushing. Prothane #PTP 8-907 $16.55 for pair (front or back) or Two pair needed for both front and back combined. $33.10 Total. These are taken from the 3rd gen accord only.
Reference picture below.

Update: Saftey Issue - 7-11-2009!!!!

After more than nine months driving on these bushings, something went wrong. I stand corrected about using washers on the outside of the bushings to keep them from sliding out.

I had no issues at all for a while until I was driving up to the WA State Meet on 7-11-09, when I started to hear a dull ratteling noise come from the driver side tire.

I could not check it until I got home and then when I jacked up the lude, low and behold!!!!

Needles to say, that all should get the big washers that fit the bolt and bushing diameters.

Edit: Here is the solution to prevent the poly bushings from running out the side:

In order to fit the metal washers on the outside of the bushings for inner and outer, you will need to grind the Upper Control Arm down little on either side and then you can fit those metal washers in between.

Having the plastic washers in between the two bushings is an option, I personally do not have those plastic washers and all is well on me end. There is no more issue with the Accord Upper Control Arm Prothan bushings since this solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: these civics bushings do not work, so just forget about them.

I received the Prothane 88-91 Civic upper control arm bushings in the mail today, and put them on for all to see.

The cost for these from www.ajusa.com is $39.00 rounded up.

The bushings are just a tad shorter, but with 2-3 washers on either side and on the outside bolt it will work.

Here are the pictures:

With the OEM bushing and metal sleeve pressed out, the civic bushing is the right size on the outside diameter, but in the middle is where there is not enough bushing, so technically the outsides of the bushings are what will be supporting the UCA's.

Lower Control Arm Bushing replacement aftermarket:

I edited the picture and clarified so this is how it should look.

Ok so for a clearer understanding here is the breakdown:

For the Lower Control Arm Inner Bushings these are the correct Prothane replacements Kit# b3130:

And for the Lower Control Arm Outer Bushings these are the correct Prothane replacements Kit# 8-907:

So here is how it is being said and understood by all:
(Picture has been edited to reflect the correct bushing parts and manufacturers.)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
yeah, you're going to get alot of slop with that, a new OEM bushing would do better, if not the original if it isn't too worn out

but, thanks for trying stuff not like much other people are doing anythign else

·
Premium Member
16,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its all got to start somewhere right? Yeah, I just wanted to test this out since the price was not bad, and another luder said he used this model type, but it was the Energy Suspension brand.

I will be posting up another set of pics for the whole forum once the 4th gen ludes Prothane UCA bushings come in.

·
Premium Member
16,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump for an update on the first post with pictures!! These bushings will work after all. :)

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Personally I'd only use them to get me home.
Te ones I have fitted are a proper fit and will be tested fully before i'm happy.

Those just look way too far off IMO.

From my experiences with bushes moving they'd last about 200' on my car before moving.
Not dissing the attempt but that's not the option.

Also, have you fitted them yet?
You may need to address the spacer/washer fitted (shall we go back to the other thread and have the argument all over again lol) as if it's not right it will pull the mount bolts out of line and you'll have trouble fitting them to the car.
And also a test fit will allow you to try some tight switchback turns to get them moving about.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I could see the upper control arm slip out. There is not much bushing in contact to keep it in place. If they are temporary I would only use them get home but nothing more. Drive real slow. However, I do like where this is going. I'm all for researching other parts that we can use.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Is it really worth the hassle though? Not IMO.
Especially as you'll still need to properly locate them anyway.
Of course it could work well if the urethane mix was properly bonded to both the bush and the housing. In fact possibly as good as the stock bush.
As it stands like that they will move as there is nothing to stop the lateral (along the shaft) movement.

I'll dig one of mine out and take a pic to show you what I mean.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Would it be possible to fill the center section with a two part urethane product ?
i figured someone would say it before i did... just glad i read responses first.

·
Premium Member
16,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took out the other Upper Control Arm that still had the OEM bushings in them for a comparison.

I called Prothane today to see if they had anything in a similair measurement and they do not have the database with all the specs on they bushings, which I thought was kind of weird, I think he just did not want to go through all of them with me.

So I will be looking at their Pivot Bushings next for a test subject.

·
Premium Member
16,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I believe the next lower control arm bushing to test out would be the 91 Acura Integra EnergySuspension lower control arm bushings(outter) they look to be very close.

Some pics:

What do you all think??

Ps, this how the old ones have to be removed:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
those look real close to perfect but have you measured the diameter of the sleeves compared to the teg bushings but those look good too me jus by your pics ....the uca bushings is not going to happen unless you fill the bushings but keep up the work man

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Thanks for laying down money to try that! However I agree with everybody above on contact and wear. And for your last post sean I already answered / found the direct replacement for lower shock mount on lower control arms (outer bushing) like a week ago. It was in my polygraphite feeler thread.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300733&highlight=polygraphite&page=2

PTP 8-907 (Prothane) Check the Factory Honda Catalog. Or The Moog Catalog. Direct fit. The same Part number (every letter and every number) same factory honda part. The teg size you are looking at has a different prothane part number

Sweet Cuda!!! We rock! Between all of us researching we can come up with a complete kit from different manufacturers, two of them from the US.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
sorry for slow response. My friend is on the road headed to a wedding 900 miles from home. He called me 3 states away needing me to find his hotel exit for the night. But yeah there is other stuff I have found I am this close to finishing up my upcoming thread on bushings and all my findings. but I have got like 5 hours less sleep last two days working on it. I will hell or highwater post it within 24hours but need sleep right now.

Good idea on prothane universal pivot bushings that was a thought I had today for the rear inner lower control arm bushing because I have looked under every stone for a match and it aint happening so If you want to spend the $15-$20 on stock one have at it. to measure. I just ordered like $20 of bushings stock to compare or use for pattern for mold.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nice going SEAN and CUDA. CUDA I need that rear (inner) lower control arm bushing b/c I have a seized bolt that has chewed up my bushing back there preventing me from finishing my 4WS swap (dammit). Look at this link I found concerning HONDA OEM part numbers, it concerns motorcycles but I think it still applies to cars as well. It's a bit long so I'm just pasting the link (general parts). Would be nice if HONDA would specifically tell us what those last six numbers really mean.

http://www.oldmanhonda.com/MC/HCodes.html

Maybe the 92 Honda prelude rear (inner) lower control arm bushings part #52354-SS0-023 might work with our part #52354-SF1-003, even though 4 of the last 6 numbers are not the same?

:smilejap:

1 - 20 of 293 Posts