Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently polubushed EVERYTHING and put brand new OEM ball joints everywhere on my Type S.

The most noticeable difference and actually very annoying is the rear end is jiggling around from left to right in a straight line. Its shaking its ass. This does it on bumpy pot holes and bumpy uneven roads.
This does not effect the steering and the car remains straight however the rear end jiggles and this make me jiggle in my seat.
The stiffer rear roll bar is obviously doing this.

However in all internet reviews of stiffer rear roll bars this is NEVER mentioned. Kind of a big deal IMO.

Could a better alignment setup help? As is more toe out front and perhaps a bit of toe out in the rear. Tyre wear can suck balls.

I have softened the dampers up alot to around 10 clicks front and 6 clicks rear out of 32 on the stiffness. This helped.

I currently dont have my front strut brace installed but i have a rear one installed.

Stiffer front roll bar to balance it all out?

The car turns very nicely now though. Handling is amazing. The rear loves to turn. Its just straight line comfort thats the annoyance.

I run BC coilovers. 10k front and 7kg rear. mfactory diff. Tanabe 25.4mm rear roll bar. Stock Type S front roll bar.
Yoko AD08R tyres.

This is my current alignment.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Did you do the rear trailing arm.bushings? If so did.you line them.up.correctly during.instal?

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
Did you do the rear trailing arm.bushings? If so did.you line them.up.correctly during.instal?

There is unfortunately no aligning bushings when doing a full poly install - setting any preload or specific direction of parts cannot be done due to the bushings no longer being one piece. I had a brain fart and didn't realize this myself until I started pressing my old ones out.

Ratty, looks like you could use some camber adjustment! How low are you?

Personally, I feel the factory bars are pretty good for a street use car that sees the track once in awhile. After driving my civic with upgraded adjustable bars - it feels a bit overkill (yes, I know different cars but same modification).

My big question for you is: did you use adjustable end links and set them while the car was on the ground? If not, this can cause the symptoms you are describing.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
There is unfortunately no aligning bushings when doing a full poly install - setting any preload or specific direction of parts cannot be done due to the bushings no longer being one piece. I had a brain fart and didn't realize this myself until I started pressing my old ones out.

Ratty, looks like you could use some camber adjustment! How low are you?

Personally, I feel the factory bars are pretty good for a street use car that sees the track once in awhile. After driving my civic with upgraded adjustable bars - it feels a bit overkill (yes, I know different cars but same modification).

My big question for you is: did you use adjustable end links and set them while the car was on the ground? If not, this can cause the symptoms you are describing.
I didnt realise he did the poly bushings, i took his misspell word in his thread for "refurbished" rather than ployurethane. My bad i guess, but.i.figured i would suggest that as often people really screw up trailing are bushing replacement.

Also, by "roll bars" do you mean anti sway bars or strut tower bars or lower subframe brace bars? "Rollbars" are usually in reference to roll cage setups.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right.

The rear toe arms were replaced with us racing adjustable ones purely because it was a 5 week wait for new Honda ones.

In the UK we call them anti roll bars. You call them sway bars.

The roll bar end links are brand new oem ones. None adjustable.

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
I recommend trying adjustable links in the rear. I made mine, worked out prettt well

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Isn't this a pretty well documented side effect of thicker sway bars?

They tie the sides together, making the independent suspension "less independent" and stiffer over any bump that only one wheel hits. Thus the back end is more likely to get loose over potholes.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Cheers everyone. I'll get the rear toe zeroed. Couple of UK chaps have suggested I replace the polybushes in the roll bars back to rubber.
We will see. Toe adjust first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts