Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive looked around in the forums and Google but can seem to get a straight answer im hope you guys can help. A part on the left side toward the front on the valve cover is leaking oil like crazy im not sure what it does or what I would even look up to try and replace it. The car is a 1990 sr model the engine I belive it is a b20a. If anyone knows what this part is please let me know I need all the help I can get it also seems to be making my oil light act strange under acceleration

·
Premium Member
16,870 Posts
That is the CPS sensor. Cam Position Sensor. It messes up your idle and will kill the motor. So its pretty important. And you need to rebuild it.
There is a guy who rebuilds them.

His name is Alex Leal:
Email: [email protected]
+1 707-624-6727

·
Registered
77 Posts
The seal leaking is the most common problem on this car. The seal was discontinued by Honda in 2008. I have checked every supplier you could imagine, from Australia to Russia. I have had the problem for 7 years. You will need to check your oil once a month and you will go through about 3.5 litres of oil a year. Apart from that, your car will be fine but your engine bay will be messy as hell and you will have an oil patch under where you park your car.

Maybe you could make your own seal to repair it.

You will find this webpage useful:

·
Registered
401 Posts
The seal leaking is the most common problem on this car. The seal was discontinued by Honda in 2008. I have checked every supplier you could imagine, from Australia to Russia. I have had the problem for 7 years. You will need to check your oil once a month and you will go through about 3.5 litres of oil a year. Apart from that, your car will be fine but your engine bay will be messy as hell and you will have an oil patch under where you park your car.
They're still available from the manufacturer, but were never available through Honda. NOK part number BH3888-E0, same as the shaft seal for all of the TEC distributors. I usually keep a couple on hand.

Maybe you could make your own seal to repair it.
Lolwhut

it also seems to be making my oil light act strange under acceleration
No it isn't. The sensor has some lubricating oil thrown at it, but does not get oil pressure like the rotating assemblies. Can you expand on when the light comes on? You probably will need to check the wire connection to the pressure switch (located above the oil filter and cooler on the block).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I thought he was talking about the cap plate seal (37854-PH3-006). I knew the seal was internal but Honda has only made available the o-ring which is external and the cap plate seal, so I thought the cap plate seal was the part. The actual internal seal is sold as part of the assembly only and is not listed in the official parts list.

So... Five years has past and I have been pissing away 3.5 litres of oil per year thinking it was the discontinued cap plate seal, and now I find out about that NOK gasket. Amazing!

I have a major service coming. I will definitely be getting one of those NOK gaskets.

Do you know where the cam position sensor is located in the shop manual?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts