Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
So I have a problem with my ignition and key on my 2000 Base. It started last month when I arrived at my friends house and parked my car. I turned from the "Start" position to the "Accessory" position and the key came OUT of the ignition and wouldn't turn back to the "Off" position. So I put the key back in and wiggled it a little and FINALLY it turned back to the "Off" position. It has been fine for the last month but it happened again last night.

Now it's REALLY stuck in the "Accessory" position. I can remove the key while in the accessory position, so I know the ignition and/or key is worn out. I've been having to disconnect the battery everywhere I go since I can't get the ignition into the "Off" position.

I went to the Honda dealership today and, since I don't have a red key, I'd have to buy the whole immobilizer system with ignition which is about $650 plus labor. I've read through the "Your keys, immobilizer, and you" thread on PP and I found a link to the whole immobilizer system for $400.

For any of you who have bought the above immobilizer system, did you install and program it yourself? I'm thinking this is the most cost effective way, but any other help would be appreciated!

Thanks fellas.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Whomever told you at Honda that you need a red key is dumb cause you can take any of your keys and they can program a new key from it.

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
Whomever told you at Honda that you need a red key is dumb cause you can take any of your keys and they can program a new key from it.
Somewhat true.

Some dealerships can copy existing keys - the new keys made are T5 keys and not your typical master key (much cheaper too). They can be programed in less than a minute and you're on your way.

For those that do not have that machine - a red key is needed to copy the code and program the new key.

OP: I recommend going to your local dealer and requesting a T5 key to be cut and programed IF they are able to copy the key code right there on the spot without the car. Or you could just get that key cut and see if it truly is your key that is worn or in fact the ignition tumblers worn (they can be replaced if i'm not mistaken)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, that's what the Honda dealer said :/

Somewhat true.

Some dealerships can copy existing keys - the new keys made are T5 keys and not your typical master key (much cheaper too). They can be programed in less than a minute and you're on your way.

For those that do not have that machine - a red key is needed to copy the code and program the new key.

OP: I recommend going to your local dealer and requesting a T5 key to be cut and programed IF they are able to copy the key code right there on the spot without the car. Or you could just get that key cut and see if it truly is your key that is worn or in fact the ignition tumblers worn (they can be replaced if i'm not mistaken)
I was thinking of your last suggestion where I would get a key cut to see if the key and/or the tumbler is worn, but I'm not sure if I would jack up the immobilizer system since I would be turning off the car with a key that's not linked to the system.

The dealer didn't have the key in stock, so they would order it for $65 bucks. But when the parts guy talked to the main tech, he mentioned the red key and me needing the whole immobilizer system.

Also, I was reading on Prelude Zone that a Luder replaced the tumbler itself, but I'm not sure how he got a new key to program with the existing immobilizer (since I think he ONLY replaced the tumbler). I sent him a PM, so I'll see if he has any good info for me.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
Having a key cut and not programed will not alter the immobilizer system. Its simply a dummy key at that point that just unlocks doors and can turn the ignition but not start the car

65? That sounds a bit much. Request a t5 key. I can get part numbers if needed. Sounds like your dealer is a bit unorganized

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having a key cut and not programed will not alter the immobilizer system. Its simply a dummy key at that point that just unlocks doors and can turn the ignition but not start the car

65? That sounds a bit much. Request a t5 key. I can get part numbers if needed. Sounds like your dealer is a bit unorganized
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I will probably order a T5 key on ebay and have it cut. Therefore, I can see if it will turn the ignition back to the "Off" position. I'll keep this thread updated when that happens. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
Most will not cut a key not purchased from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was finally able to have a locksmith check out my ignition now that I'm on holiday from school. He cut a new key that turns the ignition, doors, trunk, and glove box but it STILL wouldn't turn the ignition back from the "ACCESSORY" position to "OFF".

He thinks it could be the neutral safety switch or the shift lock which won't allow the ignition to be turned back. So, I'll have to continue research or take the car to my mechanic to be looked at.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
I may have missed it, but is your car an automatic? I know some automatics won't let you take the key out until it's in park.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have missed it, but is your car an automatic? I know some automatics won't let you take the key out until it's in park.
Sorry, I don't think I mentioned that it is indeed an automatic. While in park, the key won't turn from ACCESSORY to OFF. Furthermore, the key can come out of the ignition while in the ACCESSORY position.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RESOLVED!

Figured out that the ignition interlock recall wasn't done. I took it to the dealer and they performed the recall and replaced a small part behind the ignition that wore out. They ordered a new key, programmed it, and now I'm back on the road. So happy :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts