Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my Prelude 2.0i that comes up randomly between every 2 weeks to every month or so.
Yesterday i was driving on the highway, on my way home, when suddenly i feel the car stops producing more power than asked up to that point. What i mean with that is that i can continue cruising at the same speed, but putting down the gaspedal more results in no increase in engine revs and power. The car will start vibrating a little when doing so as if it IS trying to.

Personally, i have a hunch its a random fuel pressure problem? I did replace the fuel filter, but since the problem is random, i dont think a fuel pressure test will show the issue. The car always starts and drives fine other than the above problem. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 5 speed manual base Prelude. Engine code is F20A4 (euro 2l engine). Brakes are new. I put on new brake discs and pads a few months ago. The problem usually goes away after shifting a gear, or releasing the gas pedal and pressing it again. Drivetrain sounds like it could be the issue. Though as i said before, it drives fine other than the random problem.

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
116 Posts
Next time it happens, keep the gas pedal depressed and let it hesitate. Doing that would hopefully get the computer to give you a code which would give a useful hint. It's tricky to diagnose these problems because all sorts of things can cause it. It could be the fuel pump is failing, the fuel injectors are clogged, or a squirrel clogged the intake with nuts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A strange thing happened to me in mine years ago. I was on the highway, and putting the gas down made it stutter and even lose power. When I got a chance to dig into it, it turned out that the substrate in the catalytic converter had come loose and turned 90°, creating a crazy amount of back pressure. At lighter throttle it wasn't too bad, but more throttle made it worse. It can come and go, because if the substrate is loose then it can move to block the exhaust flow, but it can also move in a way that allows the exhaust to flow. It's a weird failure, but one I will never forget, so I like to share it as an option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts