Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way home from work today and my car was difficult to shift. It wasnt bad as i was on the move but when i came to a stop and was in 1st gear it felt as if my car was trying to move forward and shaking, when i released the clutch pedal to go i had some wheel hop? Well I get home and go back out after it cools down, start the car in 1st gear and it started to move as i was crankin. Take it out of gear start it up and unable to shift it in any gear? Im guessing its the clutch maybe? Ive never driven a car with a bad clutch. Im not a n00b at driving stick either i learned on one when i started driving, so nothing sloppy as to my driving.

anyone have this happen before?

THanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't think you should keep driving like that. You could make it worse.

Check the cluch resevior and make sure it's filled.

If not, it might be the slave cylinder, master cylinder, or even your pressure plate. You should check it out or get is checked out.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you should keep driving like that. You could make it worse.

Check the cluch resevior and make sure it's filled.

If not, it might be the slave cylinder, master cylinder, or even your pressure plate. You should check it out or get is checked out.
Oh i dont plan on driving it at all anymore untill this is gone i just got the hell home. lol. ill start checkin all that stuff. I have a 4 day weekend with new years an all so ill have my work cut out for me. thank ya.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yea 2X what samurhai said, it could/should be one of the problems that he said it could be.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any way to test the slave and master? i was flipping through my chiltons book and all it has is removal and installation..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well with tax time coming ill end up replacing the clutch.. Just wondering what brand you guys would recomend? Ive seen a stage 1 clutch for $93 i think it was XTR on ebay.

·
Registered
488 Posts
sonuds like your pressure plate. top of your clutch fluid resevoir and have someone pump the clutch pedal. does the slave cylinder move? is there any leaks? (check your driver floor board and firewall for leaks, aswell as your lines) if there are no leaks than its your pressure plate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was on my way home from work today and my car was difficult to shift. It wasnt bad as i was on the move but when i came to a stop and was in 1st gear it felt as if my car was trying to move forward and shaking, when i released the clutch pedal to go i had some wheel hop? Well I get home and go back out after it cools down, start the car in 1st gear and it started to move as i was crankin. Take it out of gear start it up and unable to shift it in any gear? Im guessing its the clutch maybe? Ive never driven a car with a bad clutch. Im not a n00b at driving stick either i learned on one when i started driving, so nothing sloppy as to my driving.

anyone have this happen before?

THanks.

Yeah ur clutch is shot,just happened to me 2 weeks ago.Get an exedy clutch they have them through ebay.Make sure it is Exedy and not a cheap knock off.I just got mine back from the shop and cant stop smiling

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah ur clutch is shot,just happened to me 2 weeks ago.Get an exedy clutch they have them through ebay.Make sure it is Exedy and not a cheap knock off.I just got mine back from the shop and cant stop smiling
Ah. yeah ive seen the exedy on ebay they didnt seem too high priced.
Do you have a rough guess as to how much an install would cost? i guess it depends on the shop.. i dont have a garage and i cant do work like this in my town home complex haha.

·
Registered
581 Posts
replace the clutch, theres a chance the master/slave cyl. has a leak which fixing that will make it a little better but the real issue is the clutch.

i own a 5th gen but i had the same issues before, the slave was fixed but the problem was still there. replaced the clutch and problem solved.

Ace

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ah. yeah ive seen the exedy on ebay they didnt seem too high priced.
Do you have a rough guess as to how much an install would cost? i guess it depends on the shop.. i dont have a garage and i cant do work like this in my town home complex haha.

I took mine to a local shop where i know the mechanic,hes been working on hondas for 15 years.He was personally going to charge me 300 to do it at his house,but i didnt make it there cause i broke down same as you.I had bought the exedy clutch and clutch disc and his shop charged me 600 for everything including fluid and flywheel adjustment.It not a bad price at all!! but i dont know what you have around you.If you provide the clutch or a clutch kit it will obvioulsly cut the cost down a little.Whatever you do dont take it to honda,you will get raped.:satan_smiley:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took mine to a local shop where i know the mechanic,hes been working on hondas for 15 years.He was personally going to charge me 300 to do it at his house,but i didnt make it there cause i broke down same as you.I had bought the exedy clutch and clutch disc and his shop charged me 600 for everything including fluid and flywheel adjustment.It not a bad price at all!! but i dont know what you have around you.If you provide the clutch or a clutch kit it will obvioulsly cut the cost down a little.Whatever you do dont take it to honda,you will get raped.:satan_smiley:
Cool. i know a few mechs around here ill ask them what they might charge. Thanks for your help in this, i will order my clutch online to cut cost down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts