Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello bruhs,

I was drunk one day and found some stupid car from local website for little money. I just wanted to take a screenshot to my friends that I offered some money for that. Like 33% of the price in the ad. However the seller said that I could get the car for a really good price and I had my mania going and bough the beauty;

However it was fukked. The cylinder head was disassembled in the trunk and the car had been sitting in the garage for 7 years. It seems to have "cool" andysautosport body kit thai I really like because all other guys at the university are driving with their fathers BMW:s.

With zero fear I repaired all the scratches on the cylinder head with JB weld and tested if it runs. IT DID. However as I tried to get it trough vehicle inspection the engineer was not pleased because oil was dripping from between head and block :D I then disassembled everything and got my head machined, not leaking anymore.

There were also other minor issues in inspection also like emissions, wheel size (lol 255/40R18 was too wide), some ball joints and stuff like that. But nothing beyond the limit to be repaired.

Of course there was also some rust but I fixed the worst ones with the least effort and patience.

Im going to send this beauty to the traffic ASAP as I get everything working. But i quess you could give me some advice:

- emissions are horrible, like 1500ppm of HC and CO was like 4.5. No chance these will be passed. On the other hand, the engine shakes a little. i did not adjust any valve clearances, could it be it? Or is my distributor broken due to 7 years of no use? What do you think?

- Engine stalls when releasing the throttle. I guess I can not just raise my IDLE because the PGM-FI does not maybe like that. How can this be fixed? TPS? MAP sensor bad? Something else?

- How could I get a bit more horsepower from this? This summer I do not plan to pull the engine, but I would like to do something. Could something be gained by making decent exhaust manifolds (4-2-1 or 4-1), i have done some manifolds to my other project cars by myself earlier? Some piggybag needed for adjusting engine after that?

- have anyone ever used microsquirt with these? I would like to run this with ethanol, and I know how to do engine tuning and I think no dyno tuning is needed for a car with this low HP. Maybe +15hp gain with ethanol as I could run massive advance

Please comment and tell what you feel about my project.

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hello bruhs,

I was drunk one day and found some stupid car from local website for little money. I just wanted to take a screenshot to my friends that I offered some money for that. Like 33% of the price in the ad. However the seller said that I could get the car for a really good price and I had my mania going and bough the beauty;

View attachment 27884

View attachment 27885

View attachment 27886

However it was fukked. The cylinder head was disassembled in the trunk and the car had been sitting in the garage for 7 years. It seems to have "cool" andysautosport body kit thai I really like because all other guys at the university are driving with their fathers BMW:s.

With zero fear I repaired all the scratches on the cylinder head with JB weld and tested if it runs. IT DID. However as I tried to get it trough vehicle inspection the engineer was not pleased because oil was dripping from between head and block :D I then disassembled everything and got my head machined, not leaking anymore.

There were also other minor issues in inspection also like emissions, wheel size (lol 255/40R18 was too wide), some ball joints and stuff like that. But nothing beyond the limit to be repaired.

Of course there was also some rust but I fixed the worst ones with the least effort and patience.

Im going to send this beauty to the traffic ASAP as I get everything working. But i quess you could give me some advice:

- emissions are horrible, like 1500ppm of HC and CO was like 4.5. No chance these will be passed. On the other hand, the engine shakes a little. i did not adjust any valve clearances, could it be it? Or is my distributor broken due to 7 years of no use? What do you think?

- Engine stalls when releasing the throttle. I guess I can not just raise my IDLE because the PGM-FI does not maybe like that. How can this be fixed? TPS? MAP sensor bad? Something else?

- How could I get a bit more horsepower from this? This summer I do not plan to pull the engine, but I would like to do something. Could something be gained by making decent exhaust manifolds (4-2-1 or 4-1), i have done some manifolds to my other project cars by myself earlier? Some piggybag needed for adjusting engine after that?

- have anyone ever used microsquirt with these? I would like to run this with ethanol, and I know how to do engine tuning and I think no dyno tuning is needed for a car with this low HP. Maybe +15hp gain with ethanol as I could run massive advance

Please comment and tell what you feel about my project.
These motors do not give up any real gains NA.
Most you will see with a header which good luck on finding one because the only thing available is OBX off ebay with fitment issues.

No more full catbacks, so its tube kits that you can get from truebendz.com or kteller.com.
Tuning wise its already dyno proven to make a max of 145-150whp with header, catback and intake and a slightly bored out throttle body and a recent member put all that work into doing it in a cleaner chassis and still only made 147whp/154tq.

So depending on your power goal you will still be slower than newer civcs that are not even the Type R or Si models.

In order to get power from the bastard B its turbo.
Other than turbo, you can do a motor and tranny swap with my swap kits.
H/F series

B-Series

So you need to figure out how much money you want to drop. If you decide to go with a swap then contact me for more details.
I already have a lot of information on the swaps. Just search the forum for my swap threads. I just literally updated my B20vtec thread below.

My site: www.1funryd.com
Fb site: www.facebook.com/1funryd
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These motors do not give up any real gains NA.
Most you will see with a header which good luck on finding one because the only thing available is OBX off ebay with fitment issues.

No more full catbacks, so its tube kits that you can get from truebendz.com or kteller.com.
Tuning wise its already dyno proven to make a max of 145-150whp with header, catback and intake and a slightly bored out throttle body and a recent member put all that work into doing it in a cleaner chassis and still only made 147whp/154tq.

So depending on your power goal you will still be slower than newer civcs that are not even the Type R or Si models.

In order to get power from the bastard B its turbo.
Other than turbo, you can do a motor and tranny swap with my swap kits.
H/F series
View attachment 27890

B-Series
View attachment 27891

So you need to figure out how much money you want to drop. If you decide to go with a swap then contact me for more details.
I already have a lot of information on the swaps. Just search the forum for my swap threads. I just literally updated my B20vtec thread below.

My site: www.1funryd.com
Fb site: www.facebook.com/1funryd
Email: [email protected]
I know a guy from finland that has NA b20a engine making 235hp. yeah but it is a racecar with all the possible mods made.

BTW nice swaps there. Looks really clean & pro.

But yeah, if there is not any oblivous Maybe then I just keep this stock for a while, and after I have got also my other projects ready I consider going turbo. Or if I find a killer deal on H22 engine some day, I could try it.

Let's first get this thin between register plates, and after that consider major HP upgrade. Lol, second trashy hibh-performance shitbox for me if im going to do that. Just one is huge PITA when you do everything by yourself by trial and error, check Bang for the buck - fearless GTO turbo build from Finland if interested what I have done before.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can you help our community to post what that guy in Finland does to his Lude please.. it would enlighten us or me of how a b20a NA can make that much 😊

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you help our community to post what that guy in Finland does to his Lude please.. it would enlighten us or me of how a b20a NA can make that much 😊
I could ask the guy next time as I see him.

He drives a motorsport series called "Jokamiesluokka". Jokamiehenluokka

And if I remember correct he was not driving lude, but CRX with b20a fitted into it. Dunno, but I guess in the video is a b20a car build with engine made by him:

They do full SEND IT builds. Like filling up cylinder head ports completely and drilling new ports to crazy aggressive angle. And stuff like that. 5sec 0-60mph with NA Fiat 133 on gravel and other crazy builds there.

The guy with that haves the car said that he had his own cylinder head flow bench so I bet he is running maxed out cylinder head and some crazy cams. Also he said that his average piston speed was more than 25m/s and he had some reliability issues in just some minutes of racing use. Needles to say, intake and exhaust manifolds are custom made for peak horsepower. But I must ask him, what is his magic recipe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah now I bet my piston rings should have been changed in the same time the cyl head was off. Guess they are seized because of the 7 years of sitting in the garage. It would explain the pressure build up in the cyl head.

But I will try first filling my cyliders with diesel, maybe it dissolves the worst residues. If not, I do the same with AFT because it is more capillay. If not, I try grill cleaner, it is crazy effective stuff. Some Saab guys have been able to free seized piston rings with this kind of tricks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just by adjusting valves I got it running fine. Compression test said something like 12.5, 10.5, 9, 12bars. Not good bot horrible. Also emissions went down to the max acceptable limit, so now I can begin to work with brakes and other issues. Nice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wohoo yeaa jibii I GOT MY BEAUTY INTO TRAFFIC!!!

Yeah just by welding too many holes from the body, rebuilding cylinder head, replacing e-brake cables and rear calipers, solving some electrical issues and changing several ball joints i got it. Well, for a week everything worked but lets talk about it later...

I got some 215/45 racing tyres and 17 inch wheels and headed into Ahvenisto Circuit. And lol, this thing was ridiculously fast. 1:44.7 on that track was my best. Just to compare, some 500whp mitsubishi GTO was just 3 seconds faster. And some years ago I was there with Audi A4 quattro with 210hp and the time was over 1:50. Beast in the corners. I was really happy until I wasn't.

So, i had some power loss after about 10 laps. I took my car in and found that some very little oil was dripping. Did not care too much and headed home. After few kilometers the beauty was dying, and I thought it was some ignition issue. Luckily we had a trailer and I got back to our garage. I found out that my aftermarket air filter was causing short circuit from disributor. Lol, it took some time to figure out what was wrong because always when I did some checks the car ran somehow fine, but as I installed everything back it did not run.

Yeah but after that was solved it was time for test drive again. I was still losing some power. In a mile car stalled and here we were back to the starting point. Found out that my main ground cable from the battery was snapped. Fixed that and tried to start. It ran really poor with horrible noise. Thought that kind of noise is caused my spun rod bearings (lol i know that from experience). Still tried to start once, and just a metallic sound appeared when turning the key. Checked if the starter solenoid was gone. No, it was not. But the gear wheel on the flywheel had popped off and spun freely :D

Lol next I pull the engine out and rebuild all well. I have heard that some h23 rods (or aftermarket) and b16 pistons (maybe forged) are common replacement for power builds. Because I believe I am in a point where i should do everything future proof if going to turbocharging this lil beast some day. This would be so sweet car with 300hp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I got an agreement that one Honda guy from Finland will sell me a working b20a7 from a spare part car. Nice!

Now I will have two engines. As another breaks, another goes in. And another will be hopefully repaired before next breakup :D

I thought also try some NA tuning with another engine, as I am only familar with building some serious power with turbos, but NA tuning could be interesting because that is something pretty new for me. I have some Honda CBR929RR ITB:s with no use, so I thought to 3d print runners to fit them and put this thing to megasquirt or equal standalone ecu. Also maybe regrinding my cams. Maybe even coil on plug ignition because distributor systems really suck. What kind of power gains could I except with these mods? +20-30hp? I am sure this lil fellow will go to the moon with that HP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I changed this weekend the engine and now pretty much everything works.

Only problem was that the water pump pipe was different in auto and manual trans engines. Luckily angle grinder and brutal force worked well and I didn't needed to pull the engine out again.

I also had my flywheel lightened. Just gotta say that the stock flywheel is overkill. Even when lightened it did not feel any difficult to drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow I changed this weekend the engine and now pretty much everything works.

Only problem was that the water pump pipe was different in auto and manual trans engines. Luckily angle grinder and brutal force worked well and I didn't needed to pull the engine out again.

I also had my flywheel lightened. Just gotta say that the stock flywheel is overkill. Even when lightened it did not feel any difficult to drive.
Wow man your car looks so awesome. I have a white 89 Si. I have always wanted a body kit but CARiD gives you the run around for a year and a half an wont ever ship the 8 products I ordered from them. Yet I can get the same thing on ebay in a couple of days. Lucky.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow man your car looks so awesome. I have a white 89 Si. I have always wanted a body kit but CARiD gives you the run around for a year and a half an wont ever ship the 8 products I ordered from them. Yet I can get the same thing on ebay in a couple of days. Lucky.....
I do not know the history of the body kit. But that was why I even bought the car, just looked so fast and furious 1 generic tuning car.

If there will be too much rust one day to be repaired I will definitely sell the body kit before scrapping the car :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts