Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I'm pretty young at 19, and I bought my first car which is the base 2001 Prelude automatic, and I would like to know what type of engine swap should I do in the future to the car. I love the car and I want to keep it for a long time. I hear the transmission on these cars go out at 100k, but at 192k the car seems okay so far. Might be slipping, I'm not too sure. As I said I'm young and I'm just getting into the car scene so forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I'm not looking for more power but it would be plus, I'm looking for more long-term health of the car.

·
Administrator
6,864 Posts
Just keep it maintained and running.

Unless you're looking to make a project car out of it, don't consider a motor swap. If you want a project out of it, expect setbacks, many long nights, and a lot of research on these cars and motor options.

There is no right answer, just what many others have previously done based on budget and determination. Most common swap would be a H23a vtec - readily available, reliable, not breaking the bank. More difficult and expensive swap would be a K or J swap.

Reactions: GFloBb6

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want a direct bolt-up-and-go engine, you can replace it with another H22a4 which is what USDM Preludes came with. There's also the previously mentioned H23A VTEC or the F20B which both come from the JDM Accord, difference being the H23A having a higher compression whereas the F20B is lower. The highest horsepower (without modification) is gonna be the H22A4 which comes out of the Prelude Type S/SiR that we never got. Much rarer and more expensive.

My automatic transmission lasted for around 150k miles before it grenaded, so as long as you don't beat on it too bad it'll last. That being said, the reputation of them being made of glass is definitely true, and if you want to make any real power in the future a manual swap is what you wanna do.

Honestly though, the Prelude is a really fun car no matter what's powering it. Best thing to do is just enjoy it, maintain it, and in the event of catastrophic transmission/engine failure, then swap it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts