Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought a twin loop muffler from ebay about a year ago for my del sol. I was lazy and never installed it. I ended up selling it to my buddy with a Civic and he had Midas weld it to his stock piping. I had never done anything with a twin loop or heard what they sounded like. To be honest i was kind of skeptical about something that was 50 bucks off ebay. I mean anyone with half a brain would be i hope.

Anyway he let me drive it after it was installed and i must say im impressed! Its not that loud, all it does is give a nice deep rumble around 3,000 rpm and then when his vtec lobes start going to work it gets nice and angry sounding. But not so loud you have to worry about cops etc.

In theory the muffler should make some more back pressure for the exhaust because its basically just making the pipe longer. As everyone knows, our cars like back pressure so it should make the car a bit more responsive at lower revs. By god you can kinda tell the difference!

Now i know your thinking its the placebo effect and if the car sounds louder you think its going faster. I totally agree. However im used to my car which is a lot faster than a 2000 Civic EX. And with the twin loop on i could feel an actual torque difference from when i drove his car before. Now im not saying its THAT much better. The thing is still a dog untill god like 6500 rpm (it is a d series block). But definitely a noticable difference.

So in conclusion i think that twin loops are an awesome alternative to spending 600 bucks for a greddy catback system that gives you less backpressure which isint what i really want. The twin loop gives you a nice shiny new muffler to look at, a nice mild exhaust note, and a little bit of backpressure. And its around 50 bucks. Sure its not going to really make your car faster but not many bolt on mods under a thousand bucks do anyways. Its basically just to improve the driving feel of the car am i right?

Anywho i have decided to thow a little better brand of one on my Lude because im sure it will last longer. I cant wait to see what it sounds like with dual cams.:grin:

Anyone done this to their car? Feedback? Ideas? Insults?

I dont see a post that really touches on the twin loop system and for our type of cars it seems like an interesting subject.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
OK so I wrote a bunch and then it didnt go through

I think backpressure has been discussed heavily on here, the general concensus seems to be that we don't need it as much as everyone seems to think.

every cheaper muffler i've ever heard has sounded like ass, i'd really like to hear this twin loop one if you could get a sound clip, but I don't expect something great.

you still get what you pay for I think, and obviously you must agree because you said you're gonna buy something else.

glad your buddy likes it though, always good

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand your skepticism, as i was and still am skeptical. I will record some clips and post them.

Also- From what i understand, the reason most bolt on mufflers sound like crap because there is nothing to absorb the sound coming out of the pipe, with some of those straight through "n1 style" mufflers all you are doing is increasing the pipe diameter at the end of the ehaust pipe. This is loud as hell and might sound good on a camaro or vette. As we all know it sounds horrible on all 4 cylinder engines even horizontally opposed engines in my opinion.

The twin loop muffler works almost like a Flowmaster Tri Chamber does. Its basically making the exhaust go twice as far and pass through the muffler 2 times instead of once. The muffler its self, is pretty thick and heavy, so it seems to absorb the sound pretty well.

So even though most 50 dollar mufflers off ebay are complete crap. Im begining to wonder if thats just because of choosing the wrong one for your own taste.

Some people probabally like a farty, ear perircing raspy high tone exhaust note.

I cant say i have met any. :tounge2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
what brand of muffler is it? obx? I have the mugen twin loop and of course its a tad bit more than $50, but it sounds and performs great.
The twin loop designs keeps it nice and quite but surprisingly does not create too much backpressure. I love the way it sounds. its absolutely the most amazing sounding exhaust system i have ever heard on a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea dude we know you got the mugen and congrats. The post was originally about finding an exhaust that wasent super expensive.

Here is some links to the twin loop mufflers on ebay:

Here is one thats priced at 100 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NETAMI-TWIN-LOOP-MUFFLER-HONDA-ACCORD-PRELUDE-TSX-RSX_W0QQitemZ8058543781QQcategoryZ33636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And this one is 50 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M-POWER-TWIN-LOOP-MUFFLER-EXHAUST-DODGE-AVENGER-NEON_W0QQitemZ8059088664QQcategoryZ33636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Im wondering if the difference between these mufflers is just how long they will last do to the quality of the welding. The 50 dollar one seems to do the same thing as the 100 dollar one. But im sure it doesent last as long as a mugen :tongue2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
sorry guys. couldn't help myself. i will try to contain myself.:turn:
I've heard from a few people that the ebay twin loops surprisingly sound pretty good.
i'm interested to hear what it sounds like.
if it works for $50 bucks props to you man!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had a twin loop simular to the 50 dollar one on my 2nd gen pos lude and it was a hell of alot better than a stock muffler. Even with no cat it wasnt that raspy. If I were you I would opt for the netami or whatever it is.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
honda_racing101 said:
I had a twin loop simular to the 50 dollar one on my 2nd gen pos lude and it was a hell of alot better than a stock muffler. Even with no cat it wasnt that raspy. If I were you I would opt for the netami or whatever it is.
Do you have the netami or the one thats a bit cheaper?

·
Registered
354 Posts
The cheaper one, only it had an oval canister rather than a round one.

Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
honda_racing101 said:
The cheaper one, only it had an oval canister rather than a round one.

Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Ya i know, the netami is an oval. You just said to get that one over the one you had and i was curious why. Hows the welding holding up on yours? Any problems with anything else? Did you notice a bit more back pressure more engine response at low end?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well my dad drove it 60 miles a day in harsh Illinois weather, so needless to say its rusting pretty bad. If it would never be exposed to salt, it would be alot nicer. The welds are still holding however.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Test PipE MasTeR
1,488 Posts
huh now i guess im gunna chop off my exhausts and go with a twin loop lol(or sell mad drugs and get a mugen)

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
SamEyeHam said:
So then why dont people just disconnect their exhaust right at the manifold? If its so much better.....
because there is more to an exhaust than achieving the greatest exhaust velocity. theres a whole class about Thermal dynamics that take effect on a good exhaust.

back pressure = bad

another note. All you did was add a muffler. I'd be interested in what it sounded like with full mandrel bent piping added to it.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
sound clip?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts