Honda Prelude Forum banner

Twin Engine 5th Gen Prelude

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Deniskavich 
#1 ·
Let me know what you think about this twin engine build:

#3 ·
This is a few years old now

We all thought it was a bad idea then and most still do now. The idea behind it and fact that it runs, props to those students or whatever they were at the time. But it made the car worse in the end.

#4 ·
Here's why I don't agree that this was a bad idea and don't regret doing the build at all, in fact I encourage others to challenge themselves as I have challenged myself because this is a great way to personally grow...
The end result is lightweight due to having a space frame tube chassis design. Both engines, transmissions, differentials are stock and still reliable and quite drivable, it's AWD and has nearly 50/50 weight distribution. Daily driving for fuel economy can be done with the front engine, drifting can be done with the rear engine, or start both for maximum performance. Buying two beat up cars and building one yielded a lot of extra parts which were sold and funded the whole entire project, which means only my time was spent. Time was education and I was forced to learn a lot, including cooling systems, fueling, brakes, suspension geometry, vehicle dynamics, and electrical wiring. This is something that made me a valuable asset to leading automotive companies. Mentioning this project on my resume is what started my career in automotive engineering. A 2000lb vehicle with 400hp transferring power through 4 sticky summer tires should make it to 60mph in about 2.8s, and 1/4 mile in about 10.8s before performance mods. If that gets old, add a little bit of power to each engine and 7s 1/4 miles are not out of reach. In summary, this was an awesome idea!

#5 ·
You don't have to agree, it's an opinion which you generally asked for in response to a video.

We all have our projects, each is done to our own taste at different learning curves. But don't fish for opinions if you're unable to handle the good with the bad. (and nobody cares enough to judge someone based on a career choice)

With that said, you appear to want to actually discuss your project -Welcome to Power- I'd recommend a build page.

The original car was built over 5 years ago now. Were you one of the members of the group that made it happen or the buyer of it? (curious)

Again, props for the idea and going further to make it happen, by no means am I saying the workmanship is horrible. Just the use of 2 heavy oil consuming motors with a lack of current support and known transmission issues (unless you've changed to a manual since the original build) means this could have been executed better with different motors/transmissions. Using two K motors or even 2 J series would have been the cherry on top.

The weight of both motors, transmissions, mounts, subframes, axles, brakes and suspension likely comes to about 1,400lbs. So I'd imagine 80lbs in wheels/tires, 40lbs in all interior bits/wiring and another 50lbs in hose/pumps/coolers/fuel cel/fluids leaving a rough estimate of 430lbs for the tube frame is a feat on its own.

Have you tracked the car yet? How did it perform? How close were your predicted 0-60 and 1/4 times? Happen to have IAT and EGT comparisons for both motors? Are you simply relying on 1 front radiator or are there duals located within the sides of the vehicle? You've simply posted a quick video but not explained anything regarding the actual build. As far as anyone viewing this knows - it's the same car that was for sale back in 2015, with a bunch of panels chopped off.

#6 ·
Your opinion is much appreciated and I didn't mean to come off as defensive. I am not real good at explaining in writing and do much better in person.

I am really looking for suggestions on tires at this point. I'm considering hoosier dot DR's 225/50r16 on 16x7 Rota slips at 18psi.

I hope to learn from others. I'm not sure how to start a build page, any suggestions?

This car was my daily driver back in 2008 and when my mom passed, I started this build to help me deal with it. I had many helpers along the way and even tried to sell a few times along the way, but couldn't let go.

Workmanship could always be better, and car and engine choice isn't the best, which made it more of a challenge. Two MT's are now in the car instead of the AT. It would have been better to start this with an RSX for sure.

I haven't weighed the car yet but have it sitting at stock ride height on springs that should lower it by 1.75", which calculates to roughly 1800lbs, but I haven't added all the weight to it. I'm curious what it will actually be.

I haven't tracked it yet with the tube chassis and manual swap, but just putting around the neighborhood feels promising. I was able to get about 4.7s 0-60 back when it had AT's and full interior which was really close to the calculated acceleration. Stock IAT, no EGR, stock O2's with spark plug de-fouler mod for downstream sensors. Cat delete on both exhaust systems. Half size 3 row radiator for each engine. One fuel cell with two stock pumps stuffed inside.

BR,
Denis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.