Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tranny let go last night, something decided to put a 3" hole on the Drivers side of the Transmission. Hard to tell what, but If i had to guess probably the Diff. So looks like more work to be done on the Prelude. I'm seeing all kinds of prices, and have yet to decide which route were taking, always comes down to how long you want the car down and how much to spend. Obviously it would be the best time to get an LSD, just not sure how proven it is yet in the 3G trannies. Lot of money and work.

Only question - If you had your choice both being new... an 88 or 89?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
hey man i can see in ur tranny, yea best of luck to what u want to do alot of guys are running an lsd and no problems there so i would do that

·
Herp Derp Lerp
1,568 Posts
:wink2:Im gonna get an LSD tranny from JAY, ill let you know how its goes with it

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He selling one or making them....:Rock:

From what I read there is some machine work to do, I'll have to do more reading for sure.

boblasek said:
:wink2:Im gonna get an LSD tranny from JAY, ill let you know how its goes with it

G

·
hey...ypou need to talk to b20aluda he has the ITR lsd and it is a direct fit into the 90/91 tranny. no machineing of the ring-gear. just need shims to preload the bearings correctly.

·
Herp Derp Lerp
1,568 Posts
He has one that he is selling to me with his B20A.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Jump has one, so does 88SE (and he tracks his car alot too).

As for 88 vs 89, I've only driven an 88 and a 90/91 5 speed. I'd say I like them both equally, I like the shorter ratios of the 90/91 for city driving (which is pretty much all I do) but once I get to high speeds I love the 88 tranny and it's lower rpms.

Motoxxxman had a thread recently about the differences between the 88 and 89 tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
The Same Exact Thing Happened To Mine!

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Did you end up going back with a stock tranny?

I honestly dont think it happened all because of the Turbo, I'm thinking the Turbo just made it happen faster than it would have without it. It did also go thru the accident (t-Boned) when he totaled the first one, may or may not have played a roll in this to, and just now took its toll. He hit the telephone pole hard enough on the passenger side door pillar to pop the axle out on the Drivers side...which is the side the hole is in.

Found a (supposedly) 60k tranny for $300 + $100+ shipping...have a few days to decide. Then a LSD and stage 2 maybe....Might be able to pull this off for around a $1000. Damn money pit...:eek:mg: Could have easily bought a 5G with all the money in this car...lol

rudeludenotmeanthough said:
The Same Exact Thing Happened To Mine!
I read a post a long time ago that a different 5th gear can be installed to help on the final ratio? Anyone know who did it and what they used and if it was on a 88-89 or 90-91?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
it seems to me that for the tranny to blow youd have to actually be straining it...

which means....

its getting wayyyy too much traction....

which also means your either running slicks

or

not producing enough power for street tires to spin like crazy...

lol man im j/k....

i dont know anything about trannys...but im just here to say good luck on the fix, glad to hear your keepin with it.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or my days away from being 18 year old is driving it and doesnt understand you cant get on it 24/7...Not saying he is?????? One of those unknowns....kinda like the accident :devil: I'm just here to fix it..and let it take up garage space...:Rock:

Not ticked really, just wish i could get more than a month or two break from working on the damn car, hell just finished the Turbo and getting it Dynoed the Beginning of March...and the A/C needs charged again....and a major detailing before the National Meet here, and, and, and, and......:wzbigcry:

ToxxicLuder90 said:
it seems to me that for the tranny to blow youd have to actually be straining it...

which means....

its getting wayyyy too much traction....

which also means your either running slicks

or

not producing enough power for street tires to spin like crazy...

lol man im j/k....

i dont know anything about trannys...but im just here to say good luck on the fix, glad to hear your keepin with it.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Purchased a Tranny off Ebay today an 88 D2J5...$200 + $100 Shipping. Less expensive than I thought and fairly close (Chicago). Guy says it has about 60k on it..funny, second place I found that has one with 60k?:Rock:

Anyways, this is a first for me purchasing a tranny online...hope its a good experience.

Now to decide on the Cluch, Flywheel..etc...Found a few...take a look and see what you think. 1st link is the Tranny...next three are the Clutch Kits. Anyone use Gripforce before?

Now that we know which tranny we will have....the LSD subject comes up again. I have read all the LSD topics i could find. Not sure about anyone else that has read them but it seems there is still not one that says buy this particular one and it will work....always some conflict about how to do it and which one works for sure.

FOr the ones that have done it to an D2J5...I would love to here exactly what part you used and from what year and type car....Thanks.

eBay Motors: 88-89 Honda Prelude SI 5 spd Manual Transmission, D2J5 (item 8056666475 end time Apr-15-06 16:56:02 PDT)

eBay Motors: 88-89 PRELUDE ALL SIZE NEW RACING STAGE 1 CLUTCH KIT (item 8050546878 end time Apr-23-06 03:42:47 PDT)

eBay Motors: 88-89 HONDA PRELUDE STAGE 1 CLUTCH KIT *FREE SHIPPING* (item 8054078068 end time May-05-06 14:33:20 PDT)

eBay Motors: 88-89 HONDA PRELUDE STAGE 2 CLUTCH KIT *FREE SHIPPING* (item 8054079571 end time May-05-06 14:40:00 PDT)

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
I went back to a stock tranny, until i can build one....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
God thats a horrible thing to see!!

Upgrade to 90-91!!!!! In my experience... they have a stronger diff...

Also with turbo... they also have a larger stock Clutch..

I have had NO negative experiences with the 90-91 tranny diff

I've blown 4 88-89 tranny diff's though..

.....I'm sure someone will dissagree

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
you know what my tranny did the same thing, the unusual part is that when it blew I thought it was my engine becuase oil poured all onto my exhaust, and then I checked everything and couldn't find the whole that night and since I had oil preassure, thought nothing about it, it wasn't until a month later that my tranny was getting notchier and notchier to shift that I finally put it on a lift and found the problem. So I guess I am curious as to know if everyone was able to still drive with thier broken trannies.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I wonder if the 88-89 trans is weaker than the 90-91, i have put my trans thru hell and back for a few years turbo, i just not to long ago rebuilt it and installed LSD, but i didnt remove my old one becuase something was wrong with it...LSD is way way worth it..

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No gears whatsoever, we took a hammer sledge to the hole and made it a tad bit bigger so we could fish two of the diff gears out that were laying at the bottom and getting in the way of the clip thats on the axle...couldnt pull the Passenger side becuase it mangled the clip. Its a nasty looking scene inside. I'll snap a picture after its out just to show the destruction.

ReyKe said:
you know what my tranny did the same thing, the unusual part is that when it blew I thought it was my engine becuase oil poured all onto my exhaust, and then I checked everything and couldn't find the whole that night and since I had oil preassure, thought nothing about it, it wasn't until a month later that my tranny was getting notchier and notchier to shift that I finally put it on a lift and found the problem. So I guess I am curious as to know if everyone was able to still drive with thier broken trannies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.