Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how everyone that is running a turbo is sending oil to the turbo? Is a sandwhich plate the rite way or best way to go with the feed lines? And is it alright to put the feed line rite over the top of the motor / valve cover?

·
Registered
375 Posts
btw, noone has got back to me on this idea, so I dunno if this is viable or not.. so don't try it until someone verifys it kay?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
sandwich plate is the best way to go, because with a turbo you should get an oil pressure guage as well, and keep the stock oil pressure sensor installed if possible too. meaning you want 3 oil ports at the main oil supply; the filter or closeby. and you should never use t's for oil lines/sensors.

but no, it is not a wise idea to run the feed line directly over the valve cover. it will damage the valve cover, and will eventually rub through the spark plug wires shorting them out, and can wear against plenty of other things as well. the best route for the feed line is below the intake mani over towards the passenger side, then up over the tranny below the distributor, and around the front of the engine, keeping it about level with the head gasket surface all the way around wherever it has a clear path

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not to mean to sound like a newb but that is what I am when it comes to boost, What the hell is a sandwich plate?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a plate that goes in between your oil filter and the block and it has ports so you can install oil feed lines or even sensors for and oil pressure guage. Go on ebay and enter in oil sandwhich plate you will understand it a lill better. and thanx moto you always one of the first replies to my questions and always give me an answer im looking for.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
It is a plate that goes in between your oil filter and the block and it has ports so you can install oil feed lines or even sensors for and oil pressure guage. Go on ebay and enter in oil sandwhich plate you will understand it a lill better. and thanx moto you always one of the first replies to my questions and always give me an answer im looking for.
you're welcome :)

but when searching, try both ways of spelling it: sandwich and sandwhich. the proper way to spell it is sandwich, but some sellers add the extra H lol.
and yes, its a spacer type thing that goes between the oil filter and block. the oil flows through it as if its not even there allowing everything to work as its supposed to, but by it being a spacer it allows the space for ports to be tapped into the main oil supply which is at the oil filter. the main oil supply is the best place to install guages or feed lines because the guages will get the most accurate reading there, and feed lines will get the proper flow/pressure from there without affecting a single engine part moreso than another part due to the minor oil loss. when installed properly, turbo feed lines barely affect overall engine oil pressure more than a couple psi at the very most

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thanks 3rd and moto. Every little bit of info helps to make a better informed decision about going to boost or h22 swap.

Now the next question, which is the best to use?

flow through:

by-pass:

by-pass w/relief valve:

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the 2nd and 3rd pics you posted are used for oil coolers, you dont want those ones.
you just want one that simply has 1 or more 1/8 npt threaded holes like the first one pictured.
one thing to know though, the outer part is unfiltered oil, the inner part is filtered oil. so the ones where the ports are fed from the outer section only will be feeding unfiltered oil, perfectly fine for sensor/guages, not the best option for a turbo feed though. i use them without worry because i know that i always keep my engines in good shape and park them if anything ever goes wrong. but if something happens where crap gets in the oil, it can damage the turbo. so that would be the users opinion on whether itd be wise to use or not.
there are plates available that are fed from the inner filtered section, but the only one i know of is the golden eagle sandwich plate, which carries a fairly heavy pricetag

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know Moto. Every little bit of insight from all the people that reply is really helping me. I just want to ensure that my car is going to be safe with boost and at least somewhat reliable.

PS moto ill be getting back to you about an ecu right after february 2nd ill have enough cash then do to some unwanted bills (tickets http://www.preludepower.com/forums/images/smilies/mad2.gif ) i wont have money till then. After that I'm just waiting on a manifold i ordered then i think im set :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Ideally you want atleast two ports for to and return from turbo. If you can get 3, then at a decent price then all the better. The 3rd can be used for your oil pressure gauge. If you can't find a 3 port then to do it right you should do my oil sending unit relocation with s.s. braided hose to t wire tied to the firewall from oil sending unit stock location above the oil filter. If you are considering this please read the sticky in the F.A.Q. as the stock block port for oil pressure sensor are NOT npt threaded like you get at the hardware store or most race shops. Neither is the sensor ofcourse. It is B.P.S.T. or brittish pipe standard tapered. I haven't gone turbo and don't know all the answers it involves but it is my understanding while yes you could t-tap that oil sending unit ss braided hose at the firewall for turbo feed lines there is an advantage to using the sandwich plate.

EDIT: Oh yeah another route that I have seen that is pretty safe onhere for ss braided oil feed lines for the turbo is routeing them under the oil pan on the topside of the crossmember that goes from the front cross member infront of the engine to the rear where it bolts up about where the p.s. rack and pinion is.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thanks moto and Cuda.

3 G, I'm with you, Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes you do need an oil feed and return but I'm not sure that I've seen anybody return the oil into the sandwich plate. Almost every turbo car I've seen returns it directly to the oil pan. Just my 2cents not trying to be rude or undermine your post. Thanks for the input though cuda i appreciate all the help i can get but i will look into what you said about sending the oil from a different location

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
Yes you do need an oil feed and return but I'm not sure that I've seen anybody return the oil into the sandwich plate. Almost every turbo car I've seen returns it directly to the oil pan. Just my 2cents not trying to be rude or undermine your post. Thanks for the input though cuda i appreciate all the help i can get but i will look into what you said about sending the oil from a different location
the oil return has to go somewhere that has zero pressure, meaning directly to the crankcase somehow. the oil pan is the only place you can do that. because where the line connects to the motor has to be below the drain flange on the turbo, and the drain line itsself has to always travel downwards with minimal bends in it.
the oil has to drain freely from the turbo. any amount of pressure in the drain and/or any amount of buildup from not flowing very very freely, and the turbo will back up with oil and blow the oil out the seals into either the compressor or the turbine or both

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
aww yes your right well then just two if you run a gauge.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good to know Moto since I already have a spare pan with a flange welded or brazed on to return the oil to. Don't remember what my grandpa said he used to put it on.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
Good to know Moto since I already have a spare pan with a flange welded or brazed on to return the oil to. Don't remember what my grandpa said he used to put it on.
it may or may not work.
ideal location for the return bung is as high up on the oil pan as possible, as perfectly vertically in-line with the turbo's drain flange as possible, without blocking any oil pan bolts.
it's also a good idea for the bung to be angled upwards at least a little bit instead of being perfectly level (flat with the oil pan surface). i always try to get a 30 degree angle or so when welding bungs to the pan

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ill try to post a picture tomorrow of the pan and see what you think but I did tell him to put i fairly high on the pan and it cleared the pan bolts i bolted it up to see if it fit. As for it being vertically centered with the drain I'm not sure because i have no manifold yet i could always get another pan though. I do have an elbow on it its a 90 degre elbow and i was going to put it on the flange on the pan. ill post that as well tomorw and you could tell me what you think. Once again thanks for you insight your always a great help to me when i have questions :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts