Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
i am trying to fab up my turbo manifold and i have seen pics of what people have done before. most people run their turbo's with the compressor housing facing the engine mount, and the downpipe close to the alternator.

my concern is that the downpipe EGTs can reach 1400*F. couldn't this kind of heat cause problems for the alternator?? i was thinking about running my turbo flipped around with the compressor side facing the alternator because of this. i don't want to be replacing alternators every year....

how much would exhaust heat wrap help? or ceramic coated downpipe??
The reason i ask is because there is more room to run the turbo with its downpipe facing the alternator, but i don't want to be causing any problems with the heat..

what is everyone elses experience with this??
Thanks!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am not turbocharged yet.. i am making my manifold now, an i want to make sure i have the turbo sitting right in my engine bay. but i have replaced my alternator 3 times (all because of my b20a3 -> b20a swap), the first one had a bad bearing, and etc.. anyways, its a new alternator, and i don't want to have to keep replacing them.

·
Premium Member
16,788 Posts
Well, I would ask the guys who all have their setups and are using daily.

But from what I have found out is that, no one has had overheating problems with their Alt's from their downpipe, and all the performance shops make it the same way so, if you are really concerend then I would invest in ceramic coating your setup and wrapping the the pipes in heat wrap from the local auto shop.
:)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
i havent had a problem and my old downpipe setup used to be like 1/2in from the plug on the alternator and it never melted the rubber boot that goes over it....my current DP is further away still havent had any problems ...car has been turbocharged for a few years...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about creating some sort of heat shield out of something like stainless, something that is a poor conductor...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Use heat wrap or ceramic coat it if you wish but I haven't had any issues. I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Use heat wrap or ceramic coat it if you wish but I haven't had any issues. I think you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
ive had issues with it...

but my DP cracked.. and exaust was blowing on the alt..

my DP sits about a 1/2 inch away from teh alternator.. and other than the crack.. no issues. i drove it like that for a long while.

just be sure to fab up the mani with the alternators HEAT SHIELD still in place... you'll be ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I burned up three altenators before someone smarter than me suggested some heat wrap. I wrapped my down pipe and part way down the manifold. Haven't burned up an altenator since.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I have not had any issues with heat either, my Downpipe is over an inch away, i had more issues with the PS leaking and dripping into the Alt. I also have a heat sheild that I made which might help a little also.

There is a piece that comes down and sits inbetween the DP and Alt.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah, thanks for the pic bgerk.. i noticed in some other pics that you had turned your PS line the other way around the motor.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
if your worried

exhaust heat wrap works very well- it will also give you that professional look too- its what i plan to do as soon as the colour of the stainless steel turns ugly lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts