Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I figured out the engine is a jdm h22a red top type s with a euro r manifold. My question is I just read that that engine has 220bhp. So how much more horse power am I getting, in a ballpark range, with that manifold? And the guy swears it's 13 to 1 compression but I am unsure. Any and all information will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Electric blue

So I figured out the engine is a jdm h22a red top type s with a euro r manifold. My question is I just read that that engine has 220bhp. So how much more horse power am I getting, in a ballpark range, with that manifold? And the guy swears it's 13 to 1 compression but I am unsure. Any and all information will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
200 Posts
If you turbo without sleeving it'll be on borrowed time, so yes you really need to sleeve if you are going to turbo.

It is 11:1 compression ratio and probably still in the 220 flywheel bhp ballpark even with the intake manifold, in fact, you are probably down on low end torque because of it and the intake pipe as you no longer have the IAB's and metered air flow at lower RPM's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you turbo without sleeving it'll be on borrowed time, so yes you really need to sleeve if you are going to turbo.

It is 11:1 compression ratio and probably still in the 220 flywheel bhp ballpark even with the intake manifold, in fact, you are probably down on low end torque because of it and the intake pipe as you no longer have the IAB's and metered air flow at lower RPM's.
The previous owner had a special bracket made to make the IACV work with the obd I on the H22a.

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
200 Posts
Yes, I have an IACV bracket too, though thats not what I'm talking about.

Tha IAB's are the secondary butterfly's in the OEM manifold, which you no longer have. They are designed to restrict air flow to the engine at sub 3500 rpm, which helps increase torque at lower engine speeds.

Also the stock intake has a dual intake system, which limits air flow to the engine even more at about sub 2500 rpm, this helps increase torque (and helps economy) more so again at very low engine speeds.

·
Administrator
7,131 Posts
If the right shop does the install and tune, you can turbo charge that motor. But don't expect to do anything crazy with it, as mentioned you will be on borrowed time with stock internals.

Honestly, sounds like you need to do a little digging on what you have and what you can/can't do on the budget you're working with.

Do I recommend sleeving and doing a proper engine build? Absolutely, but your car your money.

Reactions: timothyn1983

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have decided while doing my research that I want to completely rebuild this h22a block. I have plans for Darton MID sleeves and forged pistons 88mm(don't know who yet) Also forged rods, all new gaskets, new water pump..... Well let's just say that I am going to pull the motor and replace the components if not all brand new engine components. I will update once I have done some more digging.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I have been doing some more digging and found out about rotating assemblies.
So my
Closed deck height is 8.463 in/214.9602mm
Factory rod length is 5.633 in/143.0782mm
Factory stroke/piston 3.4251 in/87mm
Factory pin height 1.117 in/28.382mm

So since the equation I found was
(1/2stroke + rod length) subtract the total of the two from block height. This will give you the pin height.

So with that all being said, I have also figured out that if I use shorter rods, I will get more upfront speed (for lack of better terms) but will make the piston work harder when it moves.

This brings me to having decided to sleeve my block with Darton MID sleeves. I will get 88 mm pistons. What do you all think I should use for length on my rods? I am also looking for a crankshaft.

My plans are 400 whp. Can I just take a little from here and a little from there as long as it still equals the block height? I imagine there are rules to this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Update: Can't seem to want to put the money down for a bc crank, so I am wondering how much horsepower the stock h22a crank can hold. I am however wanting to replace it so it's not my weak link. Any advice on this? Remanufactured?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well to answer my first question I am going to use Darton MID sleeves 798.00 for four and an additional 690.00 for the install by Darton themselves. Going to get a Honda h22a crankshaft, so still going to have factory specs for that. I will figure out rod length, pin height, and such and edit this post when I figure it out. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts