Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey eveyone, I'm new to the whole Honda and Prelude scene. I bought a 1990 Prelude Si 4WS, 5SP with a B21A1. I've been searching for a while and haven't been able to find anything about my problem. It has a check engine light on it and i got a list of trouble codes. I thought it was flashing a 5 which is mechanical problem with the MAP. I replaced the MAP, removed clock fuse for a few minutes, fired it up and the light came back on again. I'm guessing that wasn't it. I got back down and looked at my code again and now i'm second guessing myself. Here's my question: do you count the last "short" flash as part of the code number? It is flashing 4 slow flashes and then a 5th fast flash. Is this a code 4 or 5? if it is a 4 then apparently it is the Crank sensor, but I don't want to go replacing anymore parts until i know what code I'm actually reading. I'm not really used to this set up and any help would be greatly appreciated!! I did just find a thread where someone said that a long flash is counts of 10 and short flashes are counts of 1, so does that make my code a 41? the trouble code chart I have goes from 0 to 17. Please Help!!
Pipman

·
Registered
219 Posts
code 41 is Primary Oxygen Sensor - Heater circuit malfunction - o2 sensor/bad wiring

here is a list :

Engine Control Module
HO2S Or O2S
HO2S Or O2S{2}
VSS{1}
MAP Sensor
CKP Sensor{2}
Vacuum Switch{1}
MAP Sensor
ECT Sensor
TP Sensor{2}
M/T Clutch Switch Signal{1}
A/T Shift Position Signal{1}
TDC{2}
Ignition Coil Signal{1}
No. 1 Cylinder Position Sensor
IAT Sensor
EGR System
BARO Sensor
IAC Valve{2}
EACV{1}
Ignition Output Signal
Fuel Injector System
VSS
Lock-Up Solenoid Valve
Electric Load Detector
VTEC Solenoid Valve
VTEC Pressure Switch
KS
A/T FI Signal A
A/T FI Signal B
HO2S Heater
Fuel Supply System
HO2S{3}

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yup, code 41. o2 heater circuit malfunction.
usually means the o2 sensor is shot.

there's a link in the FAQ sticky to the full list of trouble codes with better explanations of what each is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info. The trouble code chart I had before didn't include codes 41 and 43. I stumbled accross prelude3G.com and was able to print out a flowchart for the O2 sensor. tomorrow at work i'm gonna pull it in and check out the sensor. Where's the best place to get one of those, just the local parts store? I saw that around here they are around $55. Is that normal?
Thanks again,
Pipman

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. The trouble code chart I had before didn't include codes 41 and 43. I stumbled accross prelude3G.com and was able to print out a flowchart for the O2 sensor. tomorrow at work i'm gonna pull it in and check out the sensor. Where's the best place to get one of those, just the local parts store? I saw that around here they are around $55. Is that normal?
Thanks again,
Pipman
for the price just get a universel one and cut the conector and soder it on the new one

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have the same 41 code and i have replaced my oxygen sensor with an original ntk sensor and i still get the code. i unplugged my battery for 10 after the install.. please help this has been bugging me forever!

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i have the same 41 code and i have replaced my oxygen sensor with an original ntk sensor and i still get the code. i unplugged my battery for 10 after the install.. please help this has been bugging me forever!
check the wiring for damage.
and be sure that the sensor you swapped in isnt bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts