Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so this is more of a vent post but if you guys have any input please do so...
okay so when i bought the car (4sp auto tranny) the transmission would no go past second gear at all.. so i took it in to get checked... come to find out the radiator had a crack in it causing coolant to flow into the tranny and trashed it. so i payed to have it completely rebuilt. and the radiator was replaces also about a month later it started doing the same shit again. so i took it in since its under warranty. they fixed it... 2 weeks later it started again... took it in, got it fixed. now its doing it again but worse. it will sometimes go into nutrual on it own. and sometimes wont leave 3rd gear. at all, unless i stop, put it in park, and back in drive... so now im taking in in again for the 3 time in 2 months.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Ok, I'll ask the obvious question...did they replace the radiator when they fixed the transmission the first time? It sucks that you have to keep taking it back to be worked on. Maybe you should consider a 5 speed swap.

FYI...it's not a wall that separates the coolant from the tranny fluid. The tranny fluid runs through metal tubing that snakes around inside the lower radiator tank to cool the fluid. Sounds like the metal tubing developed a leak.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would love to..

Ok, I'll ask the obvious question...did they replace the radiator when they fixed the transmission the first time? It sucks that you have to keep taking it back to be worked on. Maybe you should consider a 5 speed swap.

FYI...it's not a wall that separates the coolant from the tranny fluid. The tranny fluid runs through metal tubing that snakes around inside the lower radiator tank to cool the fluid. Sounds like the metal tubing developed a leak.
yes they did replace the radiator and the fans, since they were burnt out. also I would love to do the swap if i had the money and could find a 5 speed manual tranny that is local.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, im guessing sence the tranny was completely rebuilt that u flushed all the lines?
Idk, they did all the work, and told me they had to completely rebuild it twice.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I've never heard of a transmission shop needing to rebuild a tranny 2 times in that short amount of time.
Either
A. The first time they only fixed the lines and changed/cleared the filters to get it to shift.. or a shift solenoid
B. They dont know what the FACK their doing
C. They lied to you

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I'd guess it's answer:
D. All of the above

Yes, shops love to rip people off. In fact, they will tell you the axles are shot, the brake lines are shot, and the rotors are shot. Then, you buy new parts from them, the mechanic gets paid, and your old parts get sold on Ebay because nothing was wrong with them. If you can't fix your own car these days, you are SOL.

I wouldn't trust those guys. They can't fix it and most likely are scum. How much did you pay them altogether?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
okay so let me give this info. the shop i go to is called champs auto repair, they dont do tranny's they have another shop contracted through them that do the tranny work. champs has never done me wrong at all. and if they do they will loose tons of business cuz all my dads company vehicles from his work get serviced there. (and thats alot of cars).. so im thinking that the tranny shop is dicking around the job and not doing it right. its all under warranty so im not paying out the ass. for the first job to rebuild the tranny, replace the radiator and new radiator fans. ohh and the EGR. only ran me $1200.00

and to add to this, is their any az luders with a 3g 5sp tranny laying around they wanna get rid of. preferably with all the link cables and clutch petal etc etc..

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
if you were closer id sell you my auto tranny. never had any problems with it and it only has ~60k miles on it. shit id even help you put it in cause i know how much fun that is. lol.

you could always look at any JDM parts importer for a new tranny, even a manual one with all the parts needed for the 5-speed swap they would most likely have.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i Pm'ed you. dude if you can get me one, you will be my friggen hero!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts