Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a prelude site but whatever, im having problems with my other car.

its an automatic 02 Hyundai sonata. when im driving every now and then it decides to make this nasty jerking, and will put itself in third gear and the check engine light comes on. i can put it in the shifttronic thing and put it in second but wont go in 1st or 4th, but if i turn the car off and let it sit for a minute, it goes perfectly fine and the check engine light goes off after a short amount of time, it just randomly acts up... any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,791 Posts
I know this is a prelude site but whatever, im having problems with my other car.

its an automatic 02 Hyundai sonata. when im driving every now and then it decides to make this nasty jerking, and will put itself in third gear and the check engine light comes on. i can put it in the shifttronic thing and put it in second but wont go in 1st or 4th, but if i turn the car off and let it sit for a minute, it goes perfectly fine and the check engine light goes off after a short amount of time, it just randomly acts up... any ideas?
Get the manual for your specific car make and model, and check out what the trouble shooting codes mean on your check engine light.

That problem you are having sounds very familair, there have been some members on here that have described it.

Knowing what your codes are for your car is what will help determine the issue. Sounds to me like a lock up solenoid on the tranny is going bad, but that is a common diagnosis and I do not know your transmision, to get more specific, you need that manual.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah and i was gonna stop by auto zone and have them run it for me, but the damn CEL turns off before i can get there every time.

i dont have any clue about transmissions, would a solenoid be expensive to fix?

·
Premium Member
16,791 Posts
yeah and i was gonna stop by auto zone and have them run it for me, but the damn CEL turns off before i can get there every time.

If you are not able to do your own tranny work, then yes it would be expensive to fix, its mostly labor that kills anyone that needs tranny work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im almost thinking its something electrical, because i turn it off and back on and it works fine.... it just doesnt make sense to me

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
check your fuild

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fluids fine i think its a little over do for changing but not that much. would it make that big of a difference?

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts

Your OBD should store any codes that came up, even though the light goes out. Take it to autozone and have them check the codes.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
transmission is going bad.
lol
not a definite, but thats EXACTLY what my car was doing.
and my transmission went bad.
kinda made a grinding noise when it was shifting.
then eventually, it would stop moving forward and shifting up.
id stop, turn the car off for a minute and turn it back on and itll work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no grinding or anything. when it acts up, i can still drive it fine, it just stays in third lol.

it kinda hesitates between second and third but only when the engine isnt warmed up

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You want the capitol H, don't be fooled by italicized imitators.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i got the codes from it, it shot me two. one saying output speed sensor error. and another saying check TCM for trouble codes....

what are you talking about capital h??

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I believe he is referring to your choice of car make, hyundai vs Honda.:lol:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
ive never liked hyundai.
always seemed like a knock-off to me.
like saturn.
but then again, i never really liked subaru either until i started thinking about AWD.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i hate this damn car. its my girlfriends. i told her she should get a honda but she likes this pos for some reason. i mean dont get me wrong its nice, and decently quick. but i dont like hyundais. Ive never had any other car but hondas. all it is, is the stupid output speed sensor. and the TCM is just saying check the engine, cause that sensor is bad.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
yeah i hate this damn car. its my girlfriends. i told her she should get a honda but she likes this pos for some reason. i mean dont get me wrong its nice, and decently quick. but i dont like hyundais. Ive never had any other car but hondas. all it is, is the stupid output speed sensor. and the TCM is just saying check the engine, cause that sensor is bad.
so the TCM is saying check the engine, and the ECU is saying check the transmission?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep. it was saying something was wrong with the engine....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts