Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My prelude (5th gen - 2000) it's an automatic and, well, it has been kicking since i got it but not when I accelerate, but when I come to a complete stop my rpm with go down to 1 and shoot up to 1500 rpm and then kicks...My guess is that the ATF needs to be changed considering the previous owner didn't change the oil neither and the transmission fluid is like black with a hint of pink... I pretty sure it suppose to be pink....

OR

Is my transmission starting to slip :'/

Please Help!
Thank You

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would defiantly recommend changing out the fluid with OEM Honda ATF. If you do not believe that it has been done before I would do it at least three times to make sure that you change out all of the old fluid. You can only drain out three quarts on a service change but the torque converter holds about 10. Drain and fill once, drive about 100 miles and repeat the process three times and you should notice a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Do a fluid change with Honda ATF (roughly 3qts).
Drive around for a couple days.
Clean the shift solenoids, thoroughly.
Do a fluid change with B&M Trickshift Synthetic (roughly 3qts).
Start saving for a 5-speed swap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do a fluid change with Honda ATF (roughly 3qts).
Drive around for a couple days.
Clean the shift solenoids, thoroughly.
Do a fluid change with B&M Trickshift Synthetic (roughly 3qts).
Start saving for a 5-speed swap.
What is the difference with the B&M Trickshift Synthetic compared to the new Honda ATF-Z1 which is also synthetic?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It's thinner. A lot of the problems with slow shifts are caused by the ATF being too cold and thick to flow through all the channels readily enough to perform a smooth, quick shift. If you take a look at the Helms diagrams for the flow of transmission fluid, it makes a whole lot of sense.

At least that's my experience.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think cleaning the accumulator on the trans will be a fruitless event. If cleaning that small piece actually reveals that it did need cleaning then chances are youre f***ed already. Regular fluid change intervals greater than once a year rarely happen and thats a mistake. The autos life blood is the atf. I recommend honda atf only.

You should also have the external cooler installed. A lot of people i know install external inline filters too. You can even get a magnetic filter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3039985&postcount=17
I think cleaning the accumulator on the trans will be a fruitless event. If cleaning that small piece actually reveals that it did need cleaning then chances are youre f***ed already. Regular fluid change intervals greater than once a year rarely happen and thats a mistake. The autos life blood is the atf. I recommend honda atf only.

You should also have the external cooler installed. A lot of people i know install external inline filters too. You can even get a magnetic filter.
Well said. Wont hurt to have a rebuild when needed see here

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3039985&postcount=17

1 - 11 of 11 Posts