Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I fill the tranny fluid in my 91 Si I cant find the tranny dipstick anywhere im sorry if i sound stupid here lol. can someone help me out?

·
Registered
818 Posts
tuner said:
How do I fill the tranny fluid in my 91 Si I cant find the tranny dipstick anywhere im sorry if i sound stupid here lol. can someone help me out?
DUDE!!!! FAQ

Has ALL info ur ever gonna need. Have fun reading !!!

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Reading through the shop manual will tell you.

However, for the benefit of the search engine, i'll do a quick version here:

Under the car, on the transmission to the rear of the passangers side axle (assuming LHD), there is a 17mm bolt, that bolt is the fill/inspection bolt.

With the car level (jack up both ends, USE JACK STANDS, NEVER go under a car supported only by a jack) the fliud level in the tranny should be even with the bottem of that hole, so that a drip or a dribble comes out.
If it doesn't drip, stick a finger in there, the fluid should be within one knuckle of the bolt hole, if it's below that you need to top it up.

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
It is supposed to be level, and it is supposed to be hot. Nobody is going to stick a finger inside a hot transmission case. I read somewhere that you should use a piece of mechanic's wire instead of your finger. Yeah, your finger is a bit more accurate, but if you're supposed to check the level when the oil is roasting hot, I think a wire or something other than a finger is a better tool for this. But yeah, everybody on the planet uses a finger. If you're cool enough that you can estimate how much more oil will (seemingly) be in the case when it's hot ('cause when it's hot it expands, duh), then it's okay to check it cold, I guess. In the big picture, I would think that the difference, for the most part, is negligible.

Now I am ready to be corrected.

--J

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
Don't worry. He'll get around to it.

--J

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
I've never run across one that was hot enough to really fry you, manual trannies don't have the amount of friction you get in an auto. (i try to arrange things so that i work on cold engines anyway, i've burnt enough skin off thank you very much)

Imo the difference between hot level and cold level is too small to worry about, by the book, in a By The Book world, you should deffinitely do it when it is hot, but i don't live in that world, and doing it cold just means it's a bit over full, which is fine with me anyway :p

It being level is more important, as if the front end is jacked up the tranny will appear to be fuller then it would level, though even then it's not that important.

Some parts of cars it's extremely important to have things exactly right, the oiling system in the engine, valve adjustment, bearings, that kinda thing.

Ok, i wrote way more then i intended to.

To sumerize, hot is good in theory, cold is ok in practicality.
(in a racecar, you do it hot)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts