Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, recieved the new transmission and its broke also! Not sure how this would happen (see pic) its a first for me, but regardless its broke. I spoke to the guy and he is sending me a different one, no charge..so he's still a good EBay seller in my eyes as I dont think he had anything to do with it. Maybe a hard front end engine hit?

Also..Final answer type question.

88-89 transmission takes what year and cars LSD..all I can find is 90-91 information

As for my old one...I found another hole after removing it....lol, a BIG one on top.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
wow. i had to install an auto tranny in my car when i first got it. where'd u get urs from? also, above the engine code, is there a rectangular hole part on the tranny and part on the motor? if so what is supposed to go there?

·
Premium Member
16,791 Posts
1988prelude2.0si013 said:
wow. i had to install an auto tranny in my car when i first got it. where'd u get urs from? also, above the engine code, is there a rectangular hole part on the tranny and part on the motor? if so what is supposed to go there?
That is just a rubber plug, my new JDM tranny came with one and my old USDM tranny was lost when I got the car used.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased it from EricJapanEngine on Ebay, still would recommend him!

As for that hole...I think your referring to the Timing hole? If so, there is a rubber plug that fits in it when your not checking the timing. Assuming Auto's are the same as the Manuals.

1988prelude2.0si013 said:

·
Donating Mem..car fanatic
340 Posts
bgerk said:
Also..Final answer type question.

88-89 transmission takes what year and cars LSD..all I can find is 90-91 information
ALOT of info about this question if you search. You can adapt a DC2 ITR LSD...requires a bit of work (shimming the diff to ensure the ring gear is aligned...you'll also need a 90-91 ring gear which will bolt directly to the ITR diff). If you don't have acess to a 90-91 ring gear...you can have one drilled out at a machine shop...but they will need a carbide cutter (make sure you tell them you want to drill something that has been hardend to accept 10mm bolts).

I have adapted a DC5 ITR LSD into a 90 tranny (D2A4)...but that was not a direct fit either. Bottom line...there is no easy solution...it requires a bit of patience and willingness to adapt parts to fit.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me I know there is a lot.....just have not found that one difinitive answer anywhere that says USE THIS for an 88-89 D2J5 or D2J3. Experimenting isnt a problem if you have the parts already, buying parts that you dont know for sure will fit is an issue for me, 25-50 is ok, 250+ for a LSD...Aint happening. I know the 90-91's can be adapted from all that i have read.

cidgrad130 said:
ALOT of info about this question if you search. You can adapt a DC2 ITR LSD...requires a bit of work (shimming the diff to ensure the ring gear is aligned...you'll also need a 90-91 ring gear which will bolt directly to the ITR diff). If you don't have acess to a 90-91 ring gear...you can have one drilled out at a machine shop...but they will need a carbide cutter (make sure you tell them you want to drill something that has been hardend to accept 10mm bolts).

I have adapted a DC5 ITR LSD into a 90 tranny (D2A4)...but that was not a direct fit either. Bottom line...there is no easy solution...it requires a bit of patience and willingness to adapt parts to fit.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
DAMN DUDE!!! You are having hella luck with your son's lude eh?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could say that.....:wzbigcry:

350/350 still the best setup known to man...lol!

It will get better! And here I was thinking there was plenty of time to get everything done by the National Prelude Meet! :jehon:

butterthegreat said:
DAMN DUDE!!! You are having hella luck with your son's lude eh?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
bgerk said:
You could say that.....:wzbigcry:

350/350 still the best setup known to man...lol!

It will get better! And here I was thinking there was plenty of time to get everything done by the National Prelude Meet! :jehon:
You still got time....1 1/2 months away. I have faith in you. Your lude is CLEAN. I can't get mine done in time...so I am not going this year. :(

·
Donating Mem..car fanatic
340 Posts
bgerk said:
Trust me I know there is a lot.....just have not found that one difinitive answer anywhere that says USE THIS for an 88-89 D2J5 or D2J3. Experimenting isnt a problem if you have the parts already, buying parts that you dont know for sure will fit is an issue for me, 25-50 is ok, 250+ for a LSD...Aint happening. I know the 90-91's can be adapted from all that i have read.
I don't think there is one true recipe for success...but the best solution is probably using the DC2 ITR LSD (consistantly available through Ebay), and a 90-91 ring gear (still available through Honda). Then it is down to shimming for a correct fit. You can either re-use the bearings off of the prelude tranny (which is what I chose to do), or replace the bearings/races with new ones. I would budget about $500-600 for the project (with re-using the bearings)...not quite sure what the ring gears go for, but the DC2 ITR LSD should run you around $300-350. Some folks have said a thing or two about having to grind off the inner case of the tranny, but search for the thread by 88SE...he was the last I know of to successfully complete the swap with the same tranny as your are planning on using (and he said that grinding was not needed).

Good Luck-

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I blew a tranny EXACTLY like that second pic you put up looks like a pic I took of mine. gears everywhere. but as for the tranny u recieved. That would have had to been hit after the tranny was taken out because all the stress from impact would be obsorbed by the engine mount bolts otherwise. I would say it was layin on a floor somewhere and maybe they hit it with a forklift or somethin. If its from a ebayer that sells auto parts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
1funryd said:
That is just a rubber plug, my new JDM tranny came with one and my old USDM tranny was lost when I got the car used.
i figured it was a rubber plug. i was just checking. thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Again what kind of clutch are you using 3 puck, 4 puck? Some sliping is good to a point cause other wise things like the will happen.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was Honda everything...maybe 15k old. It was either a combo why it broke...115k on tranny, Turbo, harder driving....

Found also that both inner axle CV's were bad (AGAIN)....Lifetime :) warranty, and that the Intermediate shaft bearing isnt so hot either. All that extra heat may have helped it along also. All parts getting replaced, and the clutch is getting replaced by a stage 2 (street) not race. And if i can find one reasonable, going to put in a LSD.

OMega said:
Again what kind of clutch are you using 3 puck, 4 puck? Some sliping is good to a point cause other wise things like the will happen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I blew my tranny exactly like that. BIG hole in it. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts