Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1991 Honda prelude project car I'm trying to turn into my daily driver as I am currently stuck driving my big ass truck around that gets around7mpg.... Not cool or very friendly to the wallet out my funds situation, the car has a b20a5 motor with the current d2a4 tranny that's already out of the car, my question is..1) what transmissions are compatible to my motor 2)will a 88 or 89 Honda prelude tranny fit my car? 2A) is there anything I might have to modify or change with a older year tranny from the 88 or 89? Please please help me!!:/ this cars been sitting up on stands the last 2 weeks and I need to stop diving this damn truck around :wzbigcry:

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
The rule is that you can use any 88-91 Prelude transmission as long as the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combination matches the transmission. So if you want to use a 88-89 transmission you also need the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel from the 88-89. The axles don't need to be changed those have to match the year of the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 88-89 transmissions have a cable driven speedometer while the 90-91 transmission have a electronic speedometer sensor. I do not believe you can just slap a electronic speedo sensor on a 88-89 transmission. You may have to change out the 90-91 cluster for a 88-89 cluster in order to make your speedo work properly. I would suggest doing some digging on this issue before buying a transmission from/for a 88-89 prelude. Otherwise transmissions should be totally interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
He can use the top half of the electronic 90-91 speedometer from his current transmission to the lower half of the 88-89 speedometer and be just fine since his car is all ready a 91.

As Mustardcat said just use the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel for the transmission he is using.

·
Registered
539 Posts
spline count on 90-91 different
as well as over all length is different.

i have a 89 that i put a 91 trans in. had to use 91 clutch, 91 passenger axle and passenger hub. the 89 is too short and kept falling out. BUT the 91 axle has a different spline count and is longer, so i had to use a 91 right hub as well.

SO YES, you do need other parts.

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
There was probably another problem with your car or axle(Maybe left side axle). This has been done many times by people before including me and you definitely don't need to change axles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts