Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. i have searched for around an hour or more..

When installing the tranny that came out of a 1989 honda prelude 2.0si, into a JDM B20a. The Transmission did not feel like it seated correctly, how important is this???

it would be great to know that the motor is good to drop tonight :)

thanks yall

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Can you be more specific? What do you mean when you say it didn't feel right? Are all the mounting bolts tight, and no gap between the trans and engine block? Is this an auto or manual transmission?

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah give us a little more detail, but as long as the input shaft's clit ring is secure in the crank shaft then your good to go man and as luzer said if all the bolts are torgued to spec and not caps between the bell housing and block its all gravy

Ok. The motor mated to the tranny really well. But before we started threading he bolts in, the tranny was approximately .5 inches apart.

Like I said the motor and tranny are mater well.

But before it did the tranny was about a centimeter away.
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. The motor mated to the tranny really well. But before we started threading he bolts in, the tranny was approximately .5 inches apart.

Like I said the motor and tranny are mater well.

But before it did the tranny was about a centimeter away.
Posted via Mobile

and what do you mean by a clit ring? lol

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
The tranny needs to be flushed. The tranny spline is not seating properly in between the clutch. If you try and bolt it down you will damage he clutch splines and then need to purchase a new clutch.

I have done this before with a friend and it cost him two clutches.

·
Registered
312 Posts
lol thats just some slang we use for the spline engauging in the clutch disk at my shop, sorry i guess i should be more technicial.
but yeah make sure the input shaft in seated and snaped into the clutch dick before you start threading the tranny bolts. you may need to use a rubber mallett to seat in the dowel pins

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tranny needs to be flushed. The tranny spline is not seating properly in between the clutch. If you try and bolt it down you will damage he clutch splines and then need to purchase a new clutch.

I have done this before with a friend and it cost him two clutches.

the tranny has no fluid in it right now.... i'm confused.. it needs to be filled with fluid prior to installation?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
the tranny has no fluid in it right now.... i'm confused.. it needs to be filled with fluid prior to installation?

He means the surfaces need to be "flush" or right up against eachother.. no gap.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just back it off, clock the flywheel and do it agin. its part of installing a transmission

Your using some slang again. Haha. I'm not a shop mechanic.

I ended up bolting it down and it ended up mating well. So i'm going totake it off and what does clocking the flywheel mean?
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
694 Posts
oh just turn the flywheel back and forth till the splines on the input shaft mate up oir slide into (hi-OOOOOO) the chlutch disc.

clocking means to turn back and forth. you only need to move the flywheel a matter of a few degrees. a pry bar through the timing window works well for out cars or a wrench on the crank pully bolt

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh just turn the flywheel back and forth till the splines on the input shaft mate up oir slide into (hi-OOOOOO) the chlutch disc.

clocking means to turn back and forth. you only need to move the flywheel a matter of a few degrees. a pry bar through the timing window works well for out cars or a wrench on the crank pully bolt
Well, i pulled the tranny back off. and figured out that the release bearing needed to be pulled back with a c clamp, thats what was holding it back.

the tranny slid right on after that :).. now the motors ready to drop!

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out. GL with the install.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad to hear you got it figured out. GL with the install.

Thanks bud.. I'll show pics, its being dropped in tonight.

I'm just woried about the coolant hoses behind the intake manifold, near the firewall. There are two open hoses there.. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Thanks bud.. I'll show pics, its being dropped in tonight.

I'm just woried about the coolant hoses behind the intake manifold, near the firewall. There are two open hoses there.. any ideas?
Are you talking about the heater core lines?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts