Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tranny oil do you guys use? im getting my tranny oil changed tom and just want to see what is good to use......At 66K....

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
im going with penzoil synocromesh at 85k doin it tommorrow. i got the 5th gear grind going on. if you dont want to use syncromoesh i would just go with regular ol honda MTF

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
kyx said:
sorry for asking but what do you guys call "gear grind" (5th gear grind).. im at 104k everything is alright.. but I've tought of doind a transmition fluid flush and change..
Grinding or noisy sounds going into or out of gear. People also somtimes have trouble getting into gear w/o going into a different gear first.

* To the original poster- Use honda MTF (similar to 10w30 motor oil) unless you are trying to band aid a trans problem, in which case use synchromesh.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
if you havent done a tranny fluid change you prob should since you are at 104k. i think the manual recommends getting it changed at 90k. you will know 5th gear grind if you've got it. shifting into 5th and the synchros dont line up and it grinds while getting it into gear. honda has a tsb out for the 5th gear synchros grinding.

·
Registered
935 Posts
kpkicker16 said:
What tranny oil do you guys use? im getting my tranny oil changed tom and just want to see what is good to use......At 66K....
last time I used honda MTF, no big difference whatsoever. Next time Im gonna try pennzoil synchromesh, most ppl say is good.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
i had good results w/ synromesh.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i would use honda fluids if you dont have a problem, but if your synchros are grinding then i dont think honda mtf is going to cut it.
i am replacing mine with penzoil syncromesh today so i'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i heard the GMC synchro mech tranny fluid was a good brand but i never tried it. im also due for a tune up im @ 67k . if i cant get my hand on the GMC brand ill probably just get the penzoil since boosted gave great reviews about it lols later guys.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
91preyludesi said:
i would use honda fluids if you dont have a problem, but if your synchros are grinding then i dont think honda mtf is going to cut it.
i am replacing mine with penzoil syncromesh today so i'll let you know how it goes.

how many bottles would you need???

·
Registered
105 Posts
it should be in your manual but i kinda remember it was 2.1 or 2.3qts?

for the pennzoil stuff, i think i ended up using 2 bottles

·
Registered
8,281 Posts

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
Why would you use synchromesh unless you are trying to band aid problems? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you could cause more damage using synchomesh than Honda MTF. I am pretty sure using a fluid that was not designed to work with the materials/ functions of a honda trans could cause premature wear.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
added in the penzzoil yesterday. i still have a very slight grind going into 5th when shifting fast. shifting normal the grind is now gone, very nice overall. the 1-2 powershift feels much smoother as well. good stuff

·
Registered
935 Posts
91preyludesi said:
added in the penzzoil yesterday. i still have a very slight grind going into 5th when shifting fast. shifting normal the grind is now gone, very nice overall. the 1-2 powershift feels much smoother as well. good stuff
good to know synchromesh worked well on your car; I think Im gonna change the tranny fluid this summer again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts