Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ok so this is the fourth time i have had to replaces these damn bolts.
yes i know these are not the right bolts in the picture.
i did get the proper honda bolts put in all 4 times. i am thinking the car has been in a wreck and bent something. well according to carfax it was totaled in 95 and wrecked in 03 but the 03 wreck only broke the taillight. anyway any ideas other than a wreck as to why i am breaking/losing these bolts. i am about to just junk this car.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bolt in the pic was just to hold it over in place whilst i put the honda bolt in. yes i had lock washers and locktite. i did it the way a proper mechanic would do it. i have to drill out the old bolts they snapped off in the lca just like last time and the time before that and the time before that. i'm thing maybe the bar is just to tight or the bushings are just that bad in the lca. i'm used to z suspensions so this honda stuff is new to me.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the LCA is cast, and the threads can die pretty easy in them.

if your wheels are where they are supposed to be in the arches, your LCA is probably not bent.

but, if the threads are gone, you'll need to change them for newer ones.

those bolts see a crap load of stress, especially if the front nut (under the core support) is too tight, or the bushings are not properly crushed. those bolts see a lot of shear and stretch as the suspension goes thru its paces.

make sure they are getting tightened down properly, and that the bolts aren't backing themselves out. once they get even a little loose, they are history.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I suspect you've stripped (at least partially) the threads.
BTW they do not have lock washers of any kind on them!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
There is an ebay store called hondapartsunlimited. I picked one of these up from there for the same reason. For temp purposes, I would bolt through, with a nut on the other side. Order a new control arm, run a tap through it if it needs it, and get new honda bolts. I did this 20+ k ago and no issues.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Use the green loctite if you don't want them to back out....but do check the threads to make sure that you have not stripped any.

They say;
Redloctite - one man can break it loose
Blue loctite - 2 men to break it loose.
Green Loctite - it will take 2 men and a elephant to break at bioach loose.

Just a thought untill you figure out what you are doing or what the car is doing wrong.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you an aggressive driver? Are you getting wheel hop?
me? an aggressive driver? nah..lmao. yeah every time it rains it spins through third gear i get some wheel hop. it broke last night whilst i was working. i drive my car 100-150 miles a day at work. i missed 4 hours last night i am supposed to work 10 hours today but when i woke up...

about half an hour later

anyway fuck working on a car in this. all i have is a couple hooded sweatshirts and no jacket.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What happened to the little kid that was riding on the big wheel? HAHAHAHA!!!! poor little tike, didn't even have a chance.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What happened to the little kid that was riding on the big wheel? HAHAHAHA!!!! poor little tike, didn't even have a chance.
it's a sad story really. little kid minding her own business when i came flying around the corner right as the bolts broke. apparently one of the bolts struck her in the head sending her flying across the parking lot right in the path of my now out of control car. it was kinda like this :bike:

j/k that thing has been sitting there for a month these kids leave stuff all over the parking lot.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
it's a sad story really. little kid minding her own business when i came flying around the corner right as the bolts broke. apparently one of the bolts struck her in the head sending her flying across the parking lot right in the path of my now out of control car. it was kinda like this :bike:

j/k that thing has been sitting there for a month these kids leave stuff all over the parking lot.
:whatsthat: ........:burn:.....:trytofly:......:bike:......:hahaha:.....:angel:

Yeah, I've seen kids like that down the street where I live. Leave crap all over the place.

You might be able to find lower arms in the junkyard pretty cheap and just replace what you have.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:whatsthat: ........:burn:.....:trytofly:......:bike:......:hahaha:.....:angel:

Yeah, I've seen kids like that down the street where I live. Leave crap all over the place.

You might be able to find lower arms in the junkyard pretty cheap and just replace what you have.
lmao^...there is only one prelude at the junkyard and it is pretty stripped. any other honda with the same control arm?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Nope, just 88 - 91 models as far as I know. If someone else knows anything else, please chime in. When I took my lowers down to have the bushings replaced, I didn't say what they were for and when I went to pick them up, the guy was like, "grunt, I think they came out of a prelude" I said, "yup, 88 model :) "

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
if the previous honda bolts broke off, then the bolts were either way too tight or too loose.
just verify that the threads are ok, and put new genuine honda bolts in, and use an actual torque wrench to tighten them to the proper torque and you should have no issue.

and no you do not use lockwashers on those bolts. as for loctite, i've never used it on those bolts before and have never had a problem.

as for bushings and such, nothing can be bad enough to cause those bolts to break. a bent control arm can cause it though. but besides that, the only thing that can make them break is incorrect torque

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
the only thing that can make them break is incorrect torque
I agree entirely but even this seems unlikely (over not under of course)
Some of the ones I've removed before have needed a 3' breaker bar to shift and none showed any adverse signs afterwards.
Not dis-agreeing obviously, just saying that they'd need to be severely overdone for it to be that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts