Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, stumped.

Finished installing the hardware after several issues that forced me to put off the install. So here are my issues, hope you guys can help.

1. In the first pic, you can see the rear is dropped, yay! My only question is, the hardware that came with the tokico rears. The two damping mounting rubbers and damping mounting collar that came with the rears do not fit anywhere on the rear assemblies. They are much smaller than the units that came assembled on the stock units. I left em out, but am kinda concerned that tokico put the things in there, yet AFAIK, they are totally worthless.

What say you?

2. From the pic below, you can see the upper strut locking nut and upper mount are below the actual chasis in the engine bay. WTF? I assembled the strut/springs according to the online manual so what the hell went wrong? As it is I can't even get a wrench down inside to torque down the nut so I know its not even close to being right.

Shock, bumpstop, washer from oem unit, dustcover,washer from factory unit both damping mounting rubbers with collars (forming egg shape), spring, then upper mount.

I'd like to finish this up tonight and take it for a ride, any help?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Did you check out mathrins write up?

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
i did not use anything from the blues, just the strut itself.

all top hardware came from my OEM struts except one piece.
i used the ground control centering washer (thick metal washer with the center hole tapered)

this might help you.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
butterthegreat said:
Did you check out mathrins write up?
Every pic in Mathrin's write up is infected with the dreaded red x.

As far as a 'tapered washer' goes Cadster, The oem units had a sort of tapered washer that were above the bumpstops, I did swap those over to the new unit for what its worth.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
check back in a couple of hours.

ill be home then (where my lude is) and ill see if i can explain my setup better.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I didn't have a damn problem....LOL

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
For #1, Tokico seems to think the rear bushings/collars are the same as the front. just re-use the oem hardware on the rear.

#2, I dunno. With out really seeing exactly how you put it together, I can't tell whats wrong. From the bare shock, it should go together in this order (bottom to top) Bump stop, washer, dust shield, washer, bushing, top mount, collar, bushing, washer, nuts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i had the same problem, couldnt figure it out. i just used the OEM hardware and everything has been peachy. i suggest that you do the same.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kaspin said:
#2, I dunno. With out really seeing exactly how you put it together, I can't tell whats wrong. From the bare shock, it should go together in this order (bottom to top) Bump stop, washer, dust shield, washer, Here is where I'm a bit confused ---> Possibly b/c the online shop manual uses different laguage..bushing, top mount, collar, bushing, washer, nuts.
See above.

Before the red text above, we are the same, starting with the red text, I have both rubber dampers that are mated together with the collar in between, then spring mounting rubber and upper mounts.

I *may* have installed the rubber dampers+collar BENEATH the spring mounting rubber when it was should have gone above it. The reason I *didn't* do so, is that the OEM mounting rubber was mated to the top mount...the collar and rubber dampers couldn't have been in between it.

Think that's my problem?

If it's any help, the online manual I'm using is here. http://www.jacksongamingleague.com/ndtinker/prelude/1988.pdf

That's where my terminology is coming from.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts

Looks like you have the bushings in wrong to me. There are 2 upper ones, one goes into the bottom of the upper shock mount, and the other goes into the top of it. Looks like you have both of them on the bottom.

See my washer is seated on the bushing:

Or is there a bushing down in there?

The manual is deceptive, here is the order:

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
ok.. i just looked at my setup.

from bottom to top :

stopper (bumb stop cut in half)
centering washer (thick metal washer with taper center hole)
OEM upper strut mount (not one piece, but mine stayed together so i kept it together)
its liek the diagram.

thats it on my rig.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Exactly as Mustard says.
you have put both rubber bushes under the top mount.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MustardCat said:

The manual is deceptive, here is the order:

You're right, the manual is very deceptive. It shows the bushings together UNDERNEATH the mount complately. Just pulled em both out and set it just like the manual you provided shows.

BUT

1. Now I've run into another problem, the lude is noticeable a little lower in the front, but still not as low as the back, AND the the tip of the strut is flush with the topmost bushing instead of protruding from it the typical inch. In other words, I still can't add the final washer or locking nut.

With that being said,

I DID NOT cut my bumpstops. The Tokico manual did not list it as a vehicle that required you to do so. In fact, I didn't cut them in the rear, but it doesn't seem to have effected the drop?

Is it absolutely necessary to cut them?

2. The diagram you posted above shows the bumpstop ABOVE the rim where the dust cover rests, while it actually comes on the tokico strut beneath it resting on the bottom lip. Does that make a difference?

I hope the answers to the above two are a resounding no. If not that'll make three corrections necessary to work with these damned tokico units. When I buy products, I don't appreciate having to mod them or do a crap load of research in order to use them. :roll:

Thanks for the help guys, we're almost there! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
the bumpstop does not need to be cut.
It does not fit above the dust cover 'rim' . That simply shows you the order in which you fit them.

Sounds like you still have something fitted wrong on the front .
not sure how tbh as it's a simple enough job.

the back will usually look slightly lower than the front.
Measure the ground clearance from the bottom of the sill to see if it really is different fr/rr.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
No need to cut the bumpstops. (Well maybe with race springs, but this wouldnt be your problem.)

The bumpstop slips down onto the shaft, below the upper lip.

If the shock is not long enough to come through the upper bushing, then you have too much on the shaft down below the upper shock mount.

Starting at the bumpstop, and going up, describe what you have on there in order....

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
As you can see from the pic below, the tip of the tower isn't protruding for me to lock down :angry:

And a shot of the exterior...looks a little lower, but still not completely or correctly installed.

How about the fact that though these kits are supposedly manufactured for specific vehicle fitments, yet in some cases you have to make alterations, such as cutting bumpstops... Hmmmm.....

You get my idea? When I pay for a set of tires, I don't expect to have carve the damn treads in them. :roll:

Whatever.

Mustard, for the record, I do have H and R Race springs. Can I still get by w/o cutting them? :mrgreen:

As far as the order from BOTTOM to TOP:

Tokico strut
Bumpstop(which is below the lip)
Tapered washer from OEM strut
Dust cover
Washer that fits over dust cover
Spring Mounting rubber
Damper mounting rubber
collar
Damper mounting base(top mount)
2nd Damping mounting rubber.

And that's it. As you can see from the pic, I can't get the final washer and locking nut.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
FYI, this is NOT the first time I've done suspension work, I've dropped my 5th gen on Tein's. This job has been *MUCH* easier, with the exception of things not falling in place the way the should. At least according to manuals and write ups.

As for Kaspin, Mustardcat, and CaDster, I greatly appreciate the legitmate help you guys are offering. Help that doesn't constitue insults.

:emthup:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts