Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a prelude and i have posted on this forum before about an engine swap for my 3rd gen. i planned on doing a variety of other things to it as well (making it a manual, changing the exaust, foglights, etc.) to make it as street worthy as possible. I have researched all that i could on the matter and i still have a few questions. First of all what engine do you guys recomend fo swaping into a 3rd gen prelude? Based on what i saw i should either swap from the b-series, or the h-series but i was also wondering about the k-series and its compatability with the prelude. since my car is a 2.0S i realize that before i swap i need to make it fuel injected but im doing that when i get the swap. also is it possible to v-tech a 3rd gen? any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If you had searched you would know all of the answers to the questions you asked.

Preferred swap for the 3rd gen. Price in mind....b20 FI.

h22 swap....3 grand for parts, lots of work, no one has a stock of mounts for it.

kseries...if you pocket is deep enough...accounting that the fact that a k series costs 7-8k for the engine and tranny. and then calculate everything else you will need.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah and its the b20a from the jdm prelude not the b20's from the crv's,
Any other b-series will only fit with ALOT of work and money.
And i think there is a thread somewhere where a very experienced automotive tech tried to swap a k series and didn't work out so good.

·
Registered
608 Posts
trust me bro stick wit the h22 swap .get the money u will b fine. k20 betta win the lotto first for that swap and when u get it done i call dibs on the 1st time u take it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DDuckSIrt said:
trust me bro stick wit the h22 swap .get the money u will b fine. k20 betta win the lotto first for that swap and when u get it done i call dibs on the 1st time u take it out.
the h22 is the one i was concidering first but someone told me that they stoped making the axle that you have to swap with it (the engine is too heavy for the stock axle). i also hear the tranny was rare...

·
Registered
30 Posts
go with h22 i am selling my h22a engine with 104k miles awesome shape, got it pulled out sunday. i got hit on the drivers side, my car had over 300hp in it, i took the fmic/turbo and all of that off....stock engine with 5spd tranny ecu and harness for $1200 shipped let me know thanks

will be posting the other parts up as well
and looking for a 97-98 prelude if any one knows anyone that has one for sale.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Step one: Sell your car.
Step two: Buy a fuel injected 3g prelude.
Step three: Turbo it.

That'll cost less then an h22, as well as having more power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bobnova said:
Step one: Sell your car.
Step two: Buy a fuel injected 3g prelude.
Step three: Turbo it.

That'll cost less then an h22, as well as having more power.
lol thats a pretty good idea except for the fact that i want to keep my car N/A so i dont get the sparatic power peaks that you get from a turbo... if i do anything accept N/A it will be a supercharger... but ya i didnt know you could get more power out of a turbo 3g than an h22 thats good to know... wait how would it cost less?!? a friend i know can get me the whole swap (fuel injected and all) for $2100... how much is a decent turbo?

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Does that $2100 include the labor? The fuel tank? The fuel lines? The rewiring of the dash?

Those are the nasty bits, the engine itself (and tranny, and axles, and ecu, and so on) is usually $2k or so.
Add some custom mounts (weld 'em yourself, or shell out $500-600), some axle stuff (don't remember the exact deal there), and you've got at least $3k into it.

You can put together a decent turbo setup with 15-20 more whp then a h22 for about a grand if you do the labor yourself, and cruise ebay for parts. Thats assuming $300 or so for the manifold, and $140 for a megasquirt standalone ECU that you build/install/tune yourself.

Add another $300 for an intercooler and piping, and you'll have a solid 200whp, without too much danger of engine explosions, assuming it's well tuned.
(h22 stock whp is typicly around 160, non-intercooled 3g [email protected] is 170ish whp, intercooled 9psi is 200ish whp)

If you do want to stay n/a, steps one and two still apply, it's far easier to sell the carbed lude and buy a fuel injected one then to convert it.
Not that converting is impossible by any means, just a pain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hm... well i did want a challenge lol... but ya assuming i did the labor and whatnot myself, its still gonna be in the 3k realm for the h22? i dont plan on doing the whole swap myself because i know nothing of rewireing but ya the engine and fuel injection part i can do with great patience...

·
Registered
72 Posts
The turbo is way to much maintenece. You are overdoing it with the price on the h22... all you really need is the engine which you can get for 1k. All the other parts you can prolly get off ebay or somewhere cheap for another 1k. Totall 2k. Plus...you can still add the turbo to the new h22 swap giving it 300hp ?

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
The engine, tranny, and computer.
You also need mounts, and axles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
monetarily i can get the swap now its just a matter of finding the right person to do it (which is another task within itself)... assuming i get the swap and everything works out ok, what type of wheels, brakes, shocks, etc. do you recomend? brands and how much would also be appreciated...

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Whatever you think looks good.
Stock brakes have more then enough power for anything not doing all out track duty.
Tokico make the best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts