Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’ve got a 00 prelude with 150k on h22a4 it still runs great...only thing is every now and then it will blow oil smoke out the exhaust. Just for a split second then quit. So my question should I have the head rebuilt? Or should I go h23a swap. All I see is problems with everyone doing a swap, and mostly using h22a4 parts anyway. I got the h23a vtech engine priced at 1,450.00. Or should I just have the head rebuilt and head gasket replaced? What’s some opinions on my situation? Just for reference no I don’t race it, but like having the power there if needed. Thanks for any input.

·
Administrator
6,554 Posts
I've done (4) H23a vtec swaps and never had an issue with any of the motors. I've also made a list in the past as to what all is needed to swap over from the original motor to the new - it's pretty easy really. Just keep in mind the h23a vtec has a lower redline and you'll be fine.

1,450 for just an H23a vtec motor is WAY overpriced. I think the most expensive one out of the swaps i've done was a third of that. If a shop is doing the swap - i can see that being total cost, or if someone is doing it on the side.... that would make sense if including all new gaskets and belts. But not for just the motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I’ve read you have to change oil pump distributor intake, can you send a couple links to where you found your h23a vtech. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know this has probably been covered. But...I’m dumb and just have a few questions about the difference in them from experienced people. Ok I found a 1998 SH car. Mine is a base 2000. Will the SH motor bolt to the base tranny or would I have to swap it all. I know there’s something about the half shaft but not really sure. Could I pull the Sh motor and set it in my 2000 with base tranny? Or would I have to swap it all and ecu? I know the block is different I just don’t know how. And would the SH head set on the base block?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this has probably been covered. But...I’m dumb and just have a few questions about the difference in them from experienced people. Ok I found a 1998 SH car. Mine is a base 2000. Will the SH motor bolt to the base tranny or would I have to swap it all. I know there’s something about the half shaft but not really sure. Could I pull the Sh motor and set it in my 2000 with base tranny? Or would I have to swap it all and ecu? I know the block is different I just don’t know how. And would the SH head set on the base block?
I have a SH motor in my base, had to build a plate to change the mounting hole location for the half shaft and the oil filter/oil cooler are angled up instead of straight back, ended up taking off oil cooler and it mounts straight again but those are the only things that are different

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a SH motor in my base, had to build a plate to change the mounting hole location for the half shaft and the oil filter/oil cooler are angled up instead of straight back, ended up taking off oil cooler and it mounts straight again but those are the only things that are different
What about the tranny? Which will bolt to which? Sorry for the questions but I’m just trying to decide what is gonna be better. A rebuild, a motor from a SH, or JDM f20 I just don’t like that I have to use most of my H22’s parts on the jdm so I’m just looking into other options ya know. Thanks for the information so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about the tranny? Which will bolt to which? Sorry for the questions but I’m just trying to decide what is gonna be better. A rebuild, a motor from a SH, or JDM f20 I just don’t like that I have to use most of my H22’s parts on the jdm so I’m just looking into other options ya know. Thanks for the information so far.
I just re-used my base trans. It bolts up the same. They will both bolt up to either motor, but the half shaft mounting is just different. I figured out how I needed to make the adapter plate from someone making the plates to swap base trans into the SH. I wouldn’t try to put a SH trans in a base because of the atts. Both motors are basically identical except the half shaft mount holes. The different oil cooler/filter angle is only caused by a piece that bolts on, everything else is the same on the motors

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just re-used my base trans. It bolts up the same. They will both bolt up to either motor, but the half shaft mounting is just different. I figured out how I needed to make the adapter plate from someone making the plates to swap base trans into the SH. I wouldn’t try to put a SH trans in a base because of the atts. Both motors are basically identical except the half shaft mount holes. The different oil cooler/filter angle is only caused by a piece that bolts on, everything else is the same on the motors
Thanks a lot man. MUCH NEEDED. appreciate it. Hey do you know if 98-01 Honda Accord mirrors will fit on a 5th gen prelude? I can get accord mirrors all day for 10-15 bucks a piece. The mounts look same but I’m not spending 100 dollars on 1 rear view mirror for a prelude ya know. Thanks for all the help seems your the only one on here even reply’s to questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks a lot man. MUCH NEEDED. appreciate it. Hey do you know if 98-01 Honda Accord mirrors will fit on a 5th gen prelude? I can get accord mirrors all day for 10-15 bucks a piece. The mounts look same but I’m not spending 100 dollars on 1 rear view mirror for a prelude ya know. Thanks for all the help seems your the only one on here even reply’s to questions.
No problem. I have no idea about the mirrors, I haven’t had to replace one yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem. I have no idea about the mirrors, I haven’t had to replace one yet.
Ok thanks I’m gonna check around maybe go to a junk yard and see what I can find to fit. I find anything looks better or at least interchangeable. I’ll let you know. Thanks again for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts