Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rebore the block from 80 mm under the size of 82.7 mm?

Hello, I need your help. Whether tell please it is possible to rebore the block from 80 mm under the size of 82.7 mm? Maybe someone already made it? Whether walls of cylinders will crack?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But you could prompt thickness of walls of cylinders? I will be grateful! And yes forgive for my English))

·
3,291 Posts
Thanks, but I recognize that is. And there are pistons 82.7, and so why not to put them?)
well there arent many aftermarket options for 82.7mm pistons and you would get more power from the 81mm pistons and you can also get rs pistons that are 82mm which are quite cheap if you want more displacement

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
pistons

The block can be bored to 82.7mm they came like this in A20 versions they are safe to bore all the way to 83.5mm and you can get oversize pistons in 83mm, 83.5mm.

If you go with B16/18 pistons you will have to change the rods as well and use aftermarket rods brian crower do lightweight rod that's reasonable and lighter than stock if you were going for a 200bhp or more engine I'd recommend that but stock are fine for nearly double bhp sadly the Honda pistons are weak once you start getting to around 180bhp or more the ring landings start to break away. You can get some NPR pistons which seem to be better made than Honda I've not managed to break them yet but they've only done one day at the track and rpm was limited mainly to 7k rpm not the usual 8k. The downside is Honda do not have stock 82.7mm anymore and NPR have just discontinued making replacements as well so any stock you see if the last you will ever see which means we'll have no choice but to use aftermarket or use anything else that has similar dimensions. Nissan is only one I've seen that is nearly a perfect match. The Brian Crower Rods can be re bushed to suit 20mm piston pins which is handy if you wanted to use std pistons with them. You can get B16/18 pistons in 82mm, 82.5mm, 83mm in various crown shapes I'd go with something as flat as possible for best combustion.

Another option but if your planning on using uprated camshaft is to use pistons from Nissan used in the 200SX engine code is CA18DET they are 83mm have 20mm wrist pin and have same compression height as Honda making them ideal straight replacement for Honda pistons. They have flat top crown as Nissan engine rely on huge combustion chambers and the valves are further in the chambers which means there is very little valve relief area cut into the pistons making it easier to create new valve reliefs to suit but obviously you'll need to do this yourself with the right kit or have machinist work it out for you. Down side is no idea how much you'll have to take out of the pistons for this with stock cam probably won't need much if anything with a uprated camshaft quite a bit and how much you can safely take out of the nissan piston is anyones guess. You also have a wide range of cheap aftermarket forged pistons which will have larger valve pockets machined and will be stronger as well but given the standard Nissan pistons are designed to cope with 200bhp and turbo enviroment even the cheap oem ones should be fine for most builds around 200bhp mark.

Just make sure you use Felpro for head gasket or if you are planning a high compression or turbo monster you can get MLS gasket from a company in Australia which have our pattern thanks to Steve in Auz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The block can be bored to 82.7mm they came like this in A20 versions they are safe to bore all the way to 83.5mm and you can get oversize pistons in 83mm, 83.5mm.

If you go with B16/18 pistons you will have to change the rods as well and use aftermarket rods brian crower do lightweight rod that's reasonable and lighter than stock if you were going for a 200bhp or more engine I'd recommend that but stock are fine for nearly double bhp sadly the Honda pistons are weak once you start getting to around 180bhp or more the ring landings start to break away. You can get some NPR pistons which seem to be better made than Honda I've not managed to break them yet but they've only done one day at the track and rpm was limited mainly to 7k rpm not the usual 8k. The downside is Honda do not have stock 82.7mm anymore and NPR have just discontinued making replacements as well so any stock you see if the last you will ever see which means we'll have no choice but to use aftermarket or use anything else that has similar dimensions. Nissan is only one I've seen that is nearly a perfect match. The Brian Crower Rods can be re bushed to suit 20mm piston pins which is handy if you wanted to use std pistons with them. You can get B16/18 pistons in 82mm, 82.5mm, 83mm in various crown shapes I'd go with something as flat as possible for best combustion.

Another option but if your planning on using uprated camshaft is to use pistons from Nissan used in the 200SX engine code is CA18DET they are 83mm have 20mm wrist pin and have same compression height as Honda making them ideal straight replacement for Honda pistons. They have flat top crown as Nissan engine rely on huge combustion chambers and the valves are further in the chambers which means there is very little valve relief area cut into the pistons making it easier to create new valve reliefs to suit but obviously you'll need to do this yourself with the right kit or have machinist work it out for you. Down side is no idea how much you'll have to take out of the pistons for this with stock cam probably won't need much if anything with a uprated camshaft quite a bit and how much you can safely take out of the nissan piston is anyones guess. You also have a wide range of cheap aftermarket forged pistons which will have larger valve pockets machined and will be stronger as well but given the standard Nissan pistons are designed to cope with 200bhp and turbo enviroment even the cheap oem ones should be fine for most builds around 200bhp mark.

Just make sure you use Felpro for head gasket or if you are planning a high compression or turbo monster you can get MLS gasket from a company in Australia which have our pattern thanks to Steve in Auz.
I'll tell you honestly , in Russia fewer opportunities than you. No offense. I just do not have the possibility to do it all , in financial terms. But I am very grateful to you , thank you very much for your advice ) This is a great site, a lot of interesting things

1 - 8 of 8 Posts