Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just got my 98 SH and it came with a cold air but no bypass valve, the weather really isnt the best over here and the puddle i hit yesterday in my other car on a main parkway made me think i could of definitely hydrolocked and fucked up the motor if i was driving my lude. so what do you guys think? Should i get a bypass valve or not? and what are the chances of messin up the motor lol?

thanks
orbs

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I live in ohio its kinda rainy but not too bad i have a CAI on my 4th gen and im missing the splash guard and i drive in the rain... i avoid all puddles as much as i can. i havent had any problems yet.. i read that you like have to submerge the filter in water before its a problem. If you have that uneasy feeling in your gut about it then id get the bypass..

I think im just going to cut mine and make it a short ram. IF i cant find the plastic wheel guard stuff.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in ohio its kinda rainy but not too bad i have a CAI on my 4th gen and im missing the splash guard and i drive in the rain... i avoid all puddles as much as i can. i havent had any problems yet.. i read that you like have to submerge the filter in water before its a problem. If you have that uneasy feeling in your gut about it then id get the bypass..

I think im just going to cut mine and make it a short ram. IF i cant find the plastic wheel guard stuff.
alright i gotcha..i have to check if its got the plastic rainguard still or at all but chances are im gonna do it, thanks man

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
you have to cut the piping

i just recommend cutting the pipe and adding another coupler so in the rainy season you can make it a short pipe, and any other time a cold air

or just do like i do and man up and run it

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
If I had a CAI I would go with one just for safe measure.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Coulda sworn somewhere I read that a bypass valve almost completley negates any gain given from a CAI... with dyno results too...

Not sure where it was, maybe over on s2ki?

Either way, i'd have one if I could, but I've got the V2 and I'm pretty sure i'm not getting water in that thing unless I really fuck up and end up driving into a lake.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The only way you are going to hydrolock with a CAI is if you drive in a puddle deep enough to submerge the whole filter in water. If the bottom half is in water it will just suck air from the top half and maybe a tiny bit of water but not enough to hydrolock your engine. There is a thread about this somewhere.

My car is super low and I have a CAI and I live in Portland where it rains all the time with no issues. I've hit a few big puddles (couldn't see them) with no problems

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The only way you are going to hydrolock with a CAI is if you drive in a puddle deep enough to submerge the whole filter in water. If the bottom half is in water it will just suck air from the top half and maybe a tiny bit of water but not enough to hydrolock your engine. There is a thread about this somewhere.

My car is super low and I have a CAI and I live in Portland where it rains all the time with no issues. I've hit a few big puddles (couldn't see them) with no problems
i thought i was right about the filter actually being underwater before it does any damage.. that eases my mind anyway...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yea one time after I was driving in some really hard rain I went home and took off the CAI just to look inside to see if there was any water and there wasn't so im not to worried about it.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,277 Posts
That's why i have a short-ram intake. :) If it really bothers you, then go for it... but you do realize that the water has to be sucked up a solid foot or so, then make it past the winding snake of an intake tube, and then get into your throttle body before you even have to think about hydrolock... right?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
May sound dumb but how do you put the bypass on if it doesn't have one?
you have the cut the intake pipe in a certain spot you want the bypass valve to be at least a foot away on the pipe from the intake manifold when you put the bypass valve on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's why i have a short-ram intake. :) If it really bothers you, then go for it... but you do realize that the water has to be sucked up a solid foot or so, then make it past the winding snake of an intake tube, and then get into your throttle body before you even have to think about hydrolock... right?
i know its has to go through all that and plus if the motor has been runnin for a while and if theres not much water it will evaporate before it even gets to close to the motor. you think i will lose power though by putting on the bypass valve as one of the other guys said?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coulda sworn somewhere I read that a bypass valve almost completley negates any gain given from a CAI... with dyno results too...

Not sure where it was, maybe over on s2ki?

Either way, i'd have one if I could, but I've got the V2 and I'm pretty sure i'm not getting water in that thing unless I really fuck up and end up driving into a lake.
are you sure that is 100% true?, because i wouldnt completely say that it is or why else would they make it besides saving the motor, i dont think they would try and make it to decrease performance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A bypass is just another thing to Fk up airflow

Hydrolock is very uncommon

Hmmmm heres an idea

Dont get the bypass and when you see yourself driving into a lake apply the brakes

TADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A bypass is just another thing to Fk up airflow

Hydrolock is very uncommon

Hmmmm heres an idea

Dont get the bypass and when you see yourself driving into a lake apply the brakes

TADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gotcha ..MAGIC HAHA

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would always err on the side of caution. You hydrolock your engine you'll be kickin your own nuts for being lazy/cheap. Whichever made you not buy one lol.

BTW: I live in FL, it's flat and wet. Puddles can form from an errant sprinkler so that makes avoiding them hard. Also when it rains it can cover the street all the way across, what are you going to do, go around? lol, you try it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im sorry but i call BS

Puddles cant cause hydrolock

You have to SUMBMERGE the air filter under water for a pretty long time (Long enough for the engine to suck up water all the way through the intake pipe) and usually your car will stall out before hand.

I have never heard of a case of hyrdolock and im pretty sure a bypass valve is just a waste of a mod considering it hinders flow pretty bad

$300 on CAI
$60 on bypass

=

May as well keep it stock

1 - 20 of 27 Posts