Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone still using the factory wheels with stock tire size or other 14inch tire?

If so, what are you using and how do you like them?

I work for Goodyear, which owns Dunlop and Kelly, and due to the 195/60R14 tire size becoming discontinued, I am forced to reach out to other tire tire lines.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I'm using the stock white swablades that came on my 91 ALB. I bought the tires from Les Schwab. They're Federal tires. They work fine for a DD but they're nothing to write home about. Since the car is bone stock I don't push it. That's what the Subie is for.

Edit: Here's a link from a random tire website. It's not where I bought them but these are the tires...
https://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-8805-federal-ss-657-tires.aspx

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
This is not my personal experience, so it's of little value. But my friend was recently shopping for 14" tires and had a hard time finding the balance of good performance without being full on AutoX tires. He ended up with BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S, which are available in 195/60r14. He says the sidewalls are a little more flexy than he'd like, but they grip well in both dry and wet conditions, and don't hydroplane.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I let it sit for a week and only 2 responces. Thank you guys for your input. I have been toying with the idea of going up to a 15 or 16 just because the limited tire selection, but I also dont want to change the look of the car much from something that could have been stock.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I put Dunlop on like 10 years ago. I actually have a mix at the moment. My goal is to buy my 16" nitto neogen for my 5zigens then get snow tires for the factory sawblades for winter. But I haven't checked on snow tires since last fall.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news for you, the goodyear/dunlop/kelly tire group still make snow tires in the right size, but some advice, for snow tires we sell mostly hankook because the are good snowtires and cheaper than any goodyear snow tire. The dunlops you used before were probably the dz101's right? Those where discontinued about 5-6 years ago and replaced with the dz102's, but not made in a 195/60r14. I beleive the 102's are now discontinued. I already checked all our national warehouses for the 101's but they have all been sold overI the past years.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Well when I bought them I bought 205/14. That was discontinued last year or before. I put the mismatch on last year. Around town there fine but highway speeds when wet I think they are hydroplaning a little. I am in the middle of replacing all the suspension bushings and all ball joints and tie rods and tie rod ends and wheel bearings. Then I will get the nitto. Its just loose feeling when at those speeds and wet. But I have had other experiences at fast acceleration at take off that suggest some of the suspension. I am pretty sure everything is original on the suspension. I had all the parts and have been collecting all the tools needed recently.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaking of your bushings, at one point we spoke you said you are installing grease fittings aswell, this is a wise choice. I have already had to remove, clean, re-grease mine twice since installation a month or two ago. The damn things keep squeeking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts