Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
saw this like 3 weeks ago lol. diidnt think to post it. i ordered mine on Wed and got them fri about a week ago.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
about 8,000 miles on my set right now. Only thing i'd change is that traveling thru the city/backroads that the tire is so sticky that it litertly picks up all the pebbles on the road and throws them up into the wheel well. Also, rotate them religiously to get every last bit out of them.

Awesome in rain, Awesome in dry, taking some corners sprinted, i could feel the tires digging in and gripping, as if it wanted more. Weird to explain but it was cool.

Snow..don't try unless its a dire emergency. Ice, kiss your tush bye bye you're not going anywhere.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Great deal, I run these and they are a fantastic tire, they just bite and bite..even in the rain. We had 4" of snow a couple days ago and I ran out to the store, its like having a death wish with these in the snow! There so soft in the morning, especially cold mornings the flat spots are horrible, a couple minutes and they warm up and are good to go. Ive got about 15,000 on mine now and have plenty of tread left (about 1/2 way to the wear indicator). They see regular spirited driving, I never hear a chirp out of them with an SH. Very quiet considering such a aggressive channeled tread. At this price you cant go wrong!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Did anyone else notice where its says 2004 production!? Are 4-5 year old tires okay to run?
I was about to bring that up. I would not recommend it despite the incentive. I work in a tire shop and often the sales are for the cheap economy tires or tires that are getting old. Tires are meant to be worn down completely within a few years of production. You mentioned flat spots, they only get worse with age and tires tend to begin to crack due to age.

PS: You can figure out the production date of a tire on one side of the side wall. It should read DOT: XXXX XXX WWYY. The X represents a letter or a number, the WW represents what week the tire was produced. And of course YY is the year.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did anyone else notice where its says 2004 production!? Are 4-5 year old tires okay to run?
yea i saw that too, i was googlin' and another forum was talking about it... Someone called tire rack and asked about it and tire rack said it was 100% okay because they were stored propertly.. AHH, i can't find that web site though.. Sorry...

Also there are 2 batches too. Made in Germany and made in China too if i've read correctly from my googlin'. Current ones on my car are up to date and made in Germany.

·
Registered
581 Posts
sweet, i need a set anyway, ive got my buddys rs2's on the front and one kumho 711 and one hankook on the rear.

been lookin for a set of 711's but apparently they dont even stock em anymore. ive even tried these obscure discount tire sites and they dont even have em, might give these a shot.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
generally when buying tires you should try to get them within about a year old or so. thats prob why your getting them for cheaper. not that the tires will explode spontaniously, but the rubber compound breaks down over time. the last three times ive gotten tires from tirerack they were within a year old. also, i ended up calling like 3 times before i bought them and each person i talked to gave me another discount on top of the ones i already had. ended up only paying like $65 a tire instead of $90. just some thing to consider.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
^^ you are correct, but the tires are still good, once year does not make a difference.
i took a 32hr course on tires that was required, and watched 5hrs worth of vidoes on safty on tires, and it was 6years when tires were considered Death Trap.
one year difference does NOT make any difference.
for ppl that do not know how to locate the tire age.
the code is right after the DOT, should read somthing like this
2107- which means 21st week of 2007.
i would try to stay with current year tires, like imike5g was saying
but one or two year of age doesnt really effect the tires.

·
Registered
330 Posts
^^ you are correct, but the tires are still good, once year does not make a difference.
i took a 32hr course on tires that was required, and watched 5hrs worth of vidoes on safty on tires, and it was 6years when tires were considered Death Trap.
one year difference does NOT make any difference.
for ppl that do not know how to locate the tire age.
the code is right after the DOT, should read somthing like this
2107- which means 21st week of 2007.
i would try to stay with current year tires, like imike5g was saying
but one or two year of age doesnt really effect the tires.
Note that the tires the thread is about were produced in 2004.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts