Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i got my car lowered last month, i had the shop also do a 4 wheel alignment to make sure everything is ok. the car drove perfectly straight and handled much better on stock wheels and tires. But just a few days ago i got new 17" wheels. the tire shop mounted and balanced them but when i drove home, the car seemed to pull to the right. its still pulling to the right, any ideas what it is? will new tires throw the alignment off? im stumped :unhappy:

here's a pic of the drop and wheels

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
tires and rims shouldnt affect anything.
what it sounds like is the alignment wasnt done very well, and the new tires grip better and is allowing you to feel what the alignment is really like.

what parts did you use to lower the car? i only ask because depending on what you used, when they put the car on the lift to put the new wheels on one of the springs may not have fallen fully into its seat or something, causing it to raise that wheel a bit, temporarily altering the alignment

·
Registered
286 Posts
from time to time if a wheel is stuck and does not easily come off a tech might smack that wheel with a large hammer to get it loose. if this happened an already bad front end part might have been ruined or the might have hit it hard enough to mess up the alignment. ive never ruined an alignment by doin that but thats not to say that under the right circumstances it couldnt happen.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If it was me, I would just take it back up there and tell them what was happening and see what they say, that is if it is still driveable.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
If it was me, I would just take it back up there and tell them what was happening and see what they say, that is if it is still driveable.
good point, i 2nd that one. in most cases they'll check the alignment for free to see whats goin on and fix it for free as well if it's off

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i had 17" wheels on my lude when i got it aligned. after the alignment was done it pulled to the left quite a bit. i called the shop and he told me to put the stock wheels back on and then see if it was pulling. well it stopped pulling with the stock wheels back on and the guy told me that due to the winter temps outside the tires(cooper performance tires) compound hardens and it makes it pull. if you got performance tires no matter what brand and they are not rated for winter weather(or cold temps)it can and usually will make the car pull. it makes sense to me but i havent gotten a chance to put the 17" wheels back on and test out the theory since its the middle of winter in ohio.....if you got the stock wheels throw them back on and see what happens.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Bad alignment. Most places don't do that great of a job, they only get it *in spec* not *to spec*. Do you still have the sheet they give you after the alignment?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Bad alignment. Most places don't do that great of a job, they only get it *in spec* not *to spec*. Do you still have the sheet they give you after the alignment?

"but all the thingys were green....ain't that close enough?"

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
"but all the thingys were green....ain't that close enough?"
LOL well I'm guilty of that.... on Odyssey's and Ridgelines. But S2k's and Civic SI's get the precise treatment.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i had 17" wheels on my lude when i got it aligned. after the alignment was done it pulled to the left quite a bit. i called the shop and he told me to put the stock wheels back on and then see if it was pulling. well it stopped pulling with the stock wheels back on and the guy told me that due to the winter temps outside the tires(cooper performance tires) compound hardens and it makes it pull. if you got performance tires no matter what brand and they are not rated for winter weather(or cold temps)it can and usually will make the car pull. it makes sense to me but i havent gotten a chance to put the 17" wheels back on and test out the theory since its the middle of winter in ohio.....if you got the stock wheels throw them back on and see what happens.
that makes no sense at all and whoever told you that was taking you for granted. sounds to me like he did the "in the green" type alignment, and then when you complained he just didnt feel like dealing with it so he gave you some BS to make you think nothing is wrong.
the fact is that your tires grip better when they have grip, and slip worse once they start to slip. race type tires are inconsistent like that because they are so hard. the reason your car pulled on the 17's is because the alignment was bad. the reason it drove better with the stock wheels was because the tires are much softer and are able to compress flatter onto the road making them more consistent, making you not be able to notice the bad alignment as much.
its like laying on an eggcrate piece of foam vs laying on a chunk of concrete shaped just like the eggcrate foam. the actual foam you can't feel all the roughness and inconsistency because its squishy. but you'll damn well feel every one of em on concrete lol

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
that metaphor was kinda hard to picture.
but i say take it back, have em fix it.
make sure they do it right.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
yeah, i was like.. eggcrates and foam?
wtf?
two of the most random things i could think of..

the things eggs come in, yeah?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yeah, i was like.. eggcrates and foam?
wtf?
two of the most random things i could think of..

the things eggs come in, yeah?
the things eggs come in are simply called eggcrates lol, and are made of shredded paper or styrofoam.

eggcrate foam is usually used for extra padding in beds and is made of very thick and very soft and squishy foam.
i was about to say "you've never been to college have you..." then i saw your age lol.
if and when you go to college, you're gonna walk into peoples' dorms and go "so THATS what moto was talking about!!!!!!! wait, i gotta see what it feels like"
lmao

basically, picture a really thick soft foam mattress pad. then picture it looking like a whole crapload of eggcrates strategically placed next to each other.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i think i know what your talking about now.
i have a pillow thats like that.
and i actually start school on monday, but no dorms.
just community college.
ima be a diesel tech :D
i might take regular mechanics too.. its only 20 dollars a credit.

lol
sorry about the thread jacking.
i reiterate, take it back to the alignment place and hold the steering wheel straight and let your car drift slowly into one of their cars, then bitch slap them and tell them to do it right.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Don't worry moto, I got the metaphor. And Hizzle go slap that retard who fed you that BS.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Don't worry moto, I got the metaphor. And Hizzle go slap that retard who fed you that BS.
yea i was thinking it was bullshit when he said it. but the only reason why i took his word for it is because when he put the car up on the rack he instantly said he doesnt like aftermarket rims because he has had problems in the past with them not aligning correctly. that and he did the "in the green" alignment so its not exact(also had bad uca bushings on left front). it sux though because my pacesetter exhaust sets so low by the cat-converter, with the stock wheels it makes it sit lower and i doubt he will get it on the rack without draging the exhaust). that and there was another guy there who helped with the alignment that had the same exact tires i do and he said they suck in the winter and even he had problems with it pulling. either way its ok till spring and by then i will have the cash to get it aligned again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright i called the place that sold me the tires that mounted and balanced them on the car. they told me to bring it in and they will switch the tires around and see if that helps. should i do that or just bring it to the first place that did my alignment?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i highly and i mean highly doubt that will work....alot of places do half-assed alignments. thats what people mean by an "in the green" alignment, in the green meaning they move the tire till the computer lights up green and not red. problem with thats is its not exact on every tire if they just move it to the green.....sorry if that doesnt makes sense if you have watch an alignment done you would understand.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol yeah i know what ya mean i've done alignments before. let me see if i can find the papers and see how close to stock they are. does anybody have the stock alignment specs? i've tried searching but no luck

1 - 20 of 52 Posts