Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have the stock SH wheels. And yokohama AVS ES100 tires. Right now im running about 32 in the front and 31 in the rear or something close to that. Im wondering if this is a good tire pressure for my lude.

I RARELY go over 90 mph on the highway. And i admidt i have a problem with trying to double the posted speed limit around corners (for gods sake its a type SH thats why i bought it). I live in a part of california where there are some amazing roads that call out to me.

So what would be a good middle ground for good handling traction around corners and not biting into my gas milage too much, but not wearing my tires off in 3 months.

Oh yea, im also way too lazy right now to mark my tires to see where the tread wear is. :tongue:
 

·
bangin' gears
Joined
·
15,675 Posts
put some chalk marks on the sidewalls and go tear up some corners. Inspect your marks to see how much the tires are folding around the corners. If you notice a significant amount of chalk gone, add some air. The more air, the stiffer the sidewall, but the more it eggs the tire.....to a point lol.

i run 35psi in my KDW's and my suspension is pretty stiff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
40 i would have to say seems like way too much. Unless your not running stock wheels.
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
you should be running about 32-33psi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,545 Posts
ive been running 40psi bc thats what it says on the tires. when i was putting air into the front passenger the other day i saw an egg start to develop. Running 40 would be the cause of this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Nola BB6 said:
ive been running 40psi bc thats what it says on the tires. when i was putting air into the front passenger the other day i saw an egg start to develop. Running 40 would be the cause of this?
that egg is most likely from hitting a pothole. its a rip on the inside of the tire thats filling up with air, i would replace that tire, wouldnt wanna chance a blow out.. i wouldnt run 40psi... seems high, i set all tp's to 32, stock wheels.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
147 Posts
I run 35psi, and the car behaves great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
blazefast said:
I'm running 37 in the front, 35 on rear. Handling is just amazing.. I used to ride 32 all around and it wasn't nearly what it is now (kumho ecsta 712s on stock wheels)
how so??? when the tire itself is telling you to put 32.
(same tires as you do)
 

·
HipHopHeadd
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
blazefast said:
I'm running 37 in the front, 35 on rear. Handling is just amazing.. I used to ride 32 all around and it wasn't nearly what it is now (kumho ecsta 712s on stock wheels)
Isn't handling supposed to be better with lower tire pressure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,614 Posts
40's here, the guy said put them at 40, i ran them at 34 and he was right, they run like ass.

prylwd said:
Isn't handling supposed to be better with lower tire pressure?
actually it feel sluggish, the wheel seems to wanna fight against you. at least in my experience, how else do you you have a flat tire if u dont look at it? you can feel it.
 

·
HipHopHeadd
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
borcth said:
40's here, the guy said put them at 40, i ran them at 34 and he was right, they run like ass.


actually it feel sluggish, the wheel seems to wanna fight against you. at least in my experience, how else do you you have a flat tire if u dont look at it? you can feel it.

Yeah but I am talking about 32 vs 37 psi. Niether will feel sluggish.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,085 Posts
I do alot of highway driving. I run 40 in the front 38 in the rear. A harder or more pumped up tire will respond better that a tire with a lower air pressure. Won't be as much flex in the side wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honda4Life said:
I do alot of highway driving. I run 40 in the front 38 in the rear. A harder or more pumped up tire will respond better that a tire with a lower air pressure. Won't be as much flex in the side wall.
Dont you want a good balance of sidewall flex? If your tire is too stiff it dosent seem like the tire would grip as well. And if you encounter understeer i would think it would make the tire loose grip and just loose traction on the pavement. But for cornering stability you would need a certian level of sidewall stiffness or the tire will just roll over.

Am i right or is this just more newbie banter on my part....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
I currently have Dunlop SP Sport Maxx on my tires. They have a Max Pressure of 51 PSI. On those I run 40-44 PSI. On my all-season RE92's [max pressure = 44PSI, like most tires], I run 4 over what it says on the placard [32PSI], or 36PSI. What's the max of your tires? If it's 44, go 36, if it's 50 or so, go up to 40.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top