Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new rims and was wondering, do i fill them to the pressure specified on the door, 28 psi in front and 26 psi in the back? Because it looks like it is a little under inflated, was not sure how much psi since its the stock tire, its 17 inch 40 series tire. Should put more? less? or keep it at 28/26 psi?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i definately wouldnt run 40-45psi, thats way too much. i run my 45 series at 32/30. if you wana go higher dont go past 35psi or your car will handle like shit.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so 35 is the correct psi? I have mine at 40/39 right now, seems to drive ok, will having this high psi damage anything?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The pressures in the jamb are only relevant to stock type tires. So if you change your rims and tire size, don't go by what they recommended for the stock 14"s. As far as 35 or 40 goes, it depends on the tire itself. Check the manufacturer's specs, but it should be OK unless you start noticing inability to grip the road (test 'em out in an empty parking lot before trying to take an onramp at 85mph)

·
Registered
69 Posts
HottNikkels said:
so 35 is the correct psi? I have mine at 40/39 right now, seems to drive ok, will having this high psi damage anything?
35 maybe 36 is the maximum you should go on a car this light, if you take it higher u will get uneven tyre wear(usually wears the middle of tyre). 35-40 would be fine if this was a big heavy 4wd but its not. im speaking from my 2 years experience doing wheel alignments. your car my seem to drive ok but drop the pressures a little and it will be even better.

and the dude above is right u should set the pressures when the tyres are cold.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
read the sidewall on the tire and see what the tire manufacturer recommends.... EVERY tire has its pressure rating/s on the side.

Reactions: motoxxxman

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
dave0000 said:
35 maybe 36 is the maximum you should go on a car this light, if you take it higher u will get uneven tyre wear(usually wears the middle of tyre). 35-40 would be fine if this was a big heavy 4wd but its not. im speaking from my 2 years experience doing wheel alignments. your car my seem to drive ok but drop the pressures a little and it will be even better.
^incorrect

rudeludenotmeanthough said:
read the sidewall on the tire and see what the tire manufacturer recommends.... EVERY tire has its pressure rating/s on the side.
^correct

and the reason i said use 40-45psi is because 99% of 40 series tires recommend 40 psi with a max of 45 psi. 35 psi or less will ride decent on smooth roads, but the second you hit a harsh bump, say BUH BYE RIM!! on 40 series tires, there is very little distance between the tread and the lip of the rim, uh durrrrrr. 32-35 psi is for passenger tires which are meant to have a decent amount of give in them to help absorb small and harsh bumps and to take some stress off the shocks/struts. 40 series tires are not passenger tires, they are performance tires, which are DESIGNED to hold higher tire pressures without bulging causing uneven tire wear.

read the sides of your tires, look for recommended pressure and max pressure. most tires list both. now go look at your mom's minivan tires and look for the pressures on those tires.

most passenger tires have recommended pressure of 32-35psi, and max of 35-38psi

most performance tires have recommended pressure of 38-45psi, and max of 42-52psi.

if you value those rims you paid more for than the value of the car, do the right thing and fill your tires properly, according to what the TIRE says, not what these morons above me say.

if your tires do not have recommended and/or max tire pressures listed on the tire, get rid of them, they are junk tires.

and the guy who said you use higher pressures in larger vehicles, damn dude, you really dont know what you're talking about. typically the larger the sidewall, the lower the pressure recommended to run. the smaller the sidewall, the higher the pressure recommended to run. this is called preventative maintainence. 30-35 psi in a typical 40 series tire will allow the tire to "give" too much on sudden bumps and harsh bumps, causing the pavement to smack the rim, denting it. 40 series tires of a halfway decent brand and better, are designed for the higher pressures; the have stronger belts and better shape, stronger structure. so they DONT wear more in the middle from "bulging".

anyone else who says anything in this thread other then read the tire for pressure recommended is just ignorant and giving bad advise. all tires are different, and require different pressures. there is no rule of thumb psi rating for all tires combined, just general ratings for approz sizes of sidewalls, like 40 series and 65 series like i mentioned. READ YOUR TIRES!!

dave0000 said:
i definately wouldnt run 40-45psi, thats way too much. i run my 45 series at 32/30. if you wana go higher dont go past 35psi or your car will handle like shit.
about that, thats wrong too. car will only handle like shit if you pressurise the tires to a completely different number then what the TIRE says to put them at.

going past 35 psi will only cause your car to handle like crap if you are using tires that are not designed to run higher then 35psi. and vice versa. if you have tires that are designed to run at 45 psi, the car will handle like crap if you set them at 30-35psi

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
in other words... read the damn rating printed on the tire.... fill them to that spec....

fin.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
exactly lol. man, i swear sometimes me and anthony (rudeludenotmeanthough) are the only ones that give accurate advise. theres a few others on here that do to, but none of them have posted in here yet. the only accurate thing in here so far that wasnt said by me or anthony, was the guy who said to fill the tires cold, not after a long drive. and thats the only part of what he said that is correct.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
thats what im here for, to help people make as little number of mistakes as possible. and one really huge mistake, the absolute by far biggest mistake on this site, is flase advise and info, and for people that dont know better, they listen, and screw something up.

so by my constructive criticism and correction of mistakes, i am doing exactly what this site is here for: helping the people that need the help and want the help and ask for the help, AND helping the people that THINK they dont need the help. :-D

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
i dont get credit for shit....

how the hell do YOU have rep power? i school you so much about Ludes every day...............

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hmmm....

Tire manufacturers NEVER recommend a tire pressure. That would get them in all sorts of trouble, not to mention different cars recommend different pressures. They DO however, put the MAXIMUM inflation pressure on the side of their tire.

The correct answer is:

You're just going to have to play with it. If it rides too stiff, lower the pressure. If it rides to sloppy, raise the pressure. If you're getting funky wear, then you'll have to adjust it. But when you're playing with it, you don't go above the MAXIMUM inflation pressure.

I would START in the low-mid 30's, so you have some room to go either way.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
what ever... im done with this thread.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
???

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
ok, ant, lets gang up on these fools like we usually tend to do lol. imma be the one with the digicam, you be the one to speak. lol, brb, gonna go take some pics of tires....

oh, and to add to the above, you dont adjust your pressure only to how it rides. you adjust the pressure to what the tire is designed for. if your 35 or 40 series tire feels a bit stiff, ITS PERFECT!! IS SUPPOSED TO BE STIFF!!! THATS WHY YOU GET LOW PROFILE TIRES!!!! OTHERWISE THE RIM WOULD SMASH THE GROUND ON EVERY BUMP!!

this thread really is starting to piss me off too, cuz people are fucking idiots. and tires do recommend pressures. if they DIDNT recommend pressures, they would get in trouble for people getting blowouts and bent rims for using TOO LITTLE amount of air, like 28 psi in a 40 series tire. thats just plain fucking stupid

ok, screw this thread. its pouring like a mofo here, im not even gonna bother wasting my time outside takin pics for people that are gonna be so ignornant about such a simple concept.

ending comment: all tires are designed differently, and require different pressures depending on the tire design and the vehicle its mounted to and the conditions tire will be used on. and some tires should not be used on certain vehicles if they werent designed for that type of vehicle.
if you dont know how to adjust pressure to all 3 above conditions, you should not be speaking in this thread. if you dont understand why certain tires are designed a certain way, or why certain tires should not be used on certain vehicles, you should not be speaking in this thread.
if you think that because vehicles ride the smoothest on 30psi no matter what the car is or what the tire size is, you should DEFFINITELY not be speaking in this thread.

some large sidewall tires have a max of 35 psi, while some have a max of up to 75 psi. for a reason. type of vehicle. you should go using a max 75 psi tire on a passenger car riding on 30 psi. the tire wasnt designed for it. and you should go using a 35 psi max tire with 35 psi on a full size truck that carries loads, the tire wasnt designed for it. you should go using a 40 series tire with max rating of 45 psi set at 28 psi, the tire wasnt designed for it.

if you want some form of rule of thumb for tire pressures, find the max pressure rating, and ONLY use a pressure between 80%-100% of that rating. this is the range that the tire was designed for. so if your tire says max 45 psi, you should ONLY use 36-45psi, NEVER lower then 36. if your tire says max 60psi, ONLY use 48-60psi.

i am now done wasting my time in this thread. all the people that want to post after this can risk looking more like a moron all they want. i will no longer correct anyone in this thread, as too many people seriously think they know what they are talking about stricly based on what their boss told them at the local tire shop. ie: "fill all tires to 32-35 psi" <-- WRONG!!!!!

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
i have had about 12 sets of wheels on my cars. all have had a rec. tire pressure and max inflation...my 20s on my maxima are 44-45psi rec. and 51 max. my 17s on my lude are 45max

i am with u moto. i know your correct from changing tires on cop cars for cummuity service lol...there 16s were 40 rec and 48 psi max...i belive they were goodyear rfa?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts